By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - There is No such thing as Gen Nine!!!!!

Gens are dead?

Yes 32 16.84%

No 114 60.00%

Does it even matter? 44 23.16%

Total:190

I'd say Switch and Wii U are in the same generation, Switch is just Wii U done right.

Around the Network

The idea of generations is a flawed concept because they are lumping in multiple different groups of video game hardware with multiple different philosophies and on multiple timescales. They're artificial constructs that only serve to cause more confusion than anything, and do not really have any benefit to anyone.

The Switch is Nintendo's 7th generation console
The PS4 is Sony's 4th generation console
The XBOne is Microsoft's 3rd generation console
The 3DS is Nintendo's 4th generation dedicated handheld (or 8th if you consider major iterations like GBC and GBASP)
The Vita is Sony's second generation dedicated handheld

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
The idea of generations is a flawed concept because they are lumping in multiple different groups of video game hardware with multiple different philosophies and on multiple timescales. They're artificial constructs that only serve to cause more confusion than anything, and do not really have any benefit to anyone.

The Switch is Nintendo's 7th generation console
The PS4 is Sony's 4th generation console
The XBOne is Microsoft's 3rd generation console
The 3DS is Nintendo's 4th generation dedicated handheld (or 8th if you consider major iterations like GBC and GBASP)
The Vita is Sony's second generation dedicated handheld

yea, in console business "generations" are used to not have to list every single device that released/was relevant in a certain time frame and this time frame is usually defined by the dominant console (the exception here might be 7th gen)

that's why each individual device makers hardware generations aren't relevant in a video game discussion

ArchangelMadzz said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats what I believe.

8th gen:

Wii U + Switch

PS4/PS4s/PS4pro

Xb1/Xb1s/Xb1x

9th gen starts when Playstation 5, Xbox Two, Switch 2 release.

PS4 pro and PS4 are exactly the same just more power and different casing. 

Xbone X and XB1 are exactly the same just more power and different casing. 

Wii U and Switch are solar systems apart. They're different generations. 

"solar systems apart"  (in terms of capabilities)....

Differnce between 176 Gflops (wii U) and 397 Gflops (docked switch) => one solar system apart.

Its still less than 1/4th of a PS4, the switch belongs to the 8th gen.

Because WiiU was such a failure, Nintendo launched the Switch during the same generation, this one. So Nintendo has two consoles for gen 8. Xbox One X is just an upgraded console of the current Xbox One, still this gen.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Anybody who thinks generations will be around for much longer are way far stuck in the past. As technology evolves, gens will disappear. The proactive way to think is to take something that's standard today and try and understand why it won't be standard 10-20 years from now. We will eventually get to the point where adding more power becomes useless and the focus will be on more efficient programming and graphics techniques. In other words, optimization of software. I can't see a future where there is a PS20 or Xbox Infinity+ One, or Nintendo Wii Mii U + Two.

Technology will eventually come to the point where we have a little box with 50 terabytes of storage that only needs firmware/OS updates. I kind of liken it to the include or require files function in PHP. Instead of going one by one to the next console, one console will last 10-20 years and any new data needed will be included as necessary. Hell, Modular consoles will probably be all the rage. Just keep the base and buy new CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. modules, Instead of making a new console name, Sony should just name the modular console the Playstation and support it for an absurd amount of time if all they're interested in is pushing technical limits.

And selling games as a service to a streaming box or what Xbox Gamepass is doing, that's the future as well to some extent. I remember when my dad was working at Blockbuster as a manager, he and the staff didn't see an end to the business. Then here came Netflix and the rest is history. I just think the way society is evolving, and in a sense devolving, that we're becoming more impatient and want games, just like movies, streamed to a device on demand. I firmly stand by the point that generations will eventually end, that's the nature of technology.

Your right about blockbuster. Here in U.K. the rental business was massive yet they kept stores open even though digital download was getting popular..

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

So far, not much has happened that disrupts console generations at least compared to the past. In the 1982 Atari released the 5200, which was I guess a gen 3 console? In 1986 they released the 7800, their gen 4(??) console to compete with the NES and Master System? But wasn't the Snes and Genesis officially gen 4? Yes they were. Because gens have never had anything to do with what number console a single company releases. A gen is truly set in place when one company with enough marketing clout releases a console powerful enough to move on game development.

The Genesis released 2 years prior to the SNES, the PS1 2 years prior to the N64 and the PS2 12/18 months prior to it's competition. PS4 launched within a week of it's direct competition so if anything that confuses things less so. Anyone thinking WiiU kickstarted a generation or did anything that set the industry on fire is sadly mistaken. Was it gen 8? meh technically, not practically. It was more like a lone ranger like the Atari 5200.

The Switch is as gen 9 as the 3DS was gen 8 in 2011, and the DS was gen 7 in 2004. There should be nothing confusing about it. If you're wondering why it's getting AAA console quality releases, it just so happens that their previous home console is dead and the Switch just so happens to be able to run games of that standard. I still think Nintendo could release a home console in 2020 or later to compete with the PS5, and that home console will officially be gen 9. This is assuming it's powerful enough to get gen 9 ports.

So when people say gens don't exist anymore, they are just overthinking things. Since console releases nowadays are way less convoluted than they were in the 80's, yet no one said then 'console gens are dead'.

JRPGfan said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

PS4 pro and PS4 are exactly the same just more power and different casing. 

Xbone X and XB1 are exactly the same just more power and different casing. 

Wii U and Switch are solar systems apart. They're different generations. 

"solar systems apart"  (in terms of capabilities)....

Differnce between 176 Gflops (wii U) and 397 Gflops (docked switch) => one solar system apart.

Its still less than 1/4th of a PS4, the switch belongs to the 8th gen.

Power doesn't define generations. 

They're complety different systems. Wii U games don't work.

New system, new library, new layout, completely different controls, different philosophy, no BC. How exactly are you comparing this to Pro and XB1X?

Come on now. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_games

Guys, he's right. There's nothing on Wikipedia about a "ninth generation," so there really must not be one. I read it on Wikipedia, so it must be true.

Guys it's not listed as a 8th generation video game console on the official Wikipedia site. Only reason for that is that is considered as a 9th generation video game console. And at this point Wikipedia hasn't made a site for the 9th generation video game consoles, they will probably wait until the next Playstation and Xbox consoles will release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles