By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - There is No such thing as Gen Nine!!!!!

Gens are dead?

Yes 32 16.84%

No 114 60.00%

Does it even matter? 44 23.16%

Total:190

So recently I've seen a few posts stating things like, "Switch sales shouldn't be compared to ps4 because it's gen 9" or " gen 9 is here alreadý" etc.

I really think people should realize gens are now dead, Switch is just Nintendo's 7th gen console, the way technology advances so quick and PC upgrades available that surpass console makes "gens" dead. "Next gen" is just a marketing slogan so people think oh new console, Next gen so better graphics!!

So yeah I believe gens are dead, it's far too muddled nowadays with Xbox one X and switch. 

Thoughts?

Around the Network

Just like with Windows, we're going to skip from Gen 8 to Gen 10 and just confuse everyone.

Disagree. Sony still wants discrete generations so I don't see how you can say gens are dead.

Lawlight said:
Disagree. Sony still wants discrete generations so I don't see how you can say gens are dead.

Right. Next gen starts when Sony says it does!

Nah. Asymmetrical console launches and hardware are nothing new.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Trunkin said:
Lawlight said:

That sounds stupid, if gens are not dead then the switch is 9th gen its that simple in my opinion. 

Twitter @CyberMalistix

I don't get how gens work anymore... Like usually, the game companies released hardware in a relatively similar time frame in the past, grated it was + or - a couple of years. This gen on the other hand, Sony and MS are basically going at it while Nintendo is doing their own thing when it comes to releasing hardware.

So idk how gens really work cause it doesn't make sense to say "Sony decides when next gen starts or MS decides when next gen starts" cause this is Sony's 4th gen console and MS's 3rd gen console and Nintendo's 9th gen console or w.e.

So it's all messed up. Specially when you consider that MS is saying they don't believe in generations anymore.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

malistix1985 said:
Trunkin said:

That sounds stupid, if gens are not dead then the switch is 9th gen its that simple in my opinion. 

Why can't a console manufacturer release two consoles in a single generation and have it lumped in as the same gen?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Anybody who thinks generations will be around for much longer are way far stuck in the past. As technology evolves, gens will disappear. The proactive way to think is to take something that's standard today and try and understand why it won't be standard 10-20 years from now. We will eventually get to the point where adding more power becomes useless and the focus will be on more efficient programming and graphics techniques. In other words, optimization of software. I can't see a future where there is a PS20 or Xbox Infinity+ One, or Nintendo Wii Mii U + Two.

Technology will eventually come to the point where we have a little box with 50 terabytes of storage that only needs firmware/OS updates. I kind of liken it to the include or require files function in PHP. Instead of going one by one to the next console, one console will last 10-20 years and any new data needed will be included as necessary. Hell, Modular consoles will probably be all the rage. Just keep the base and buy new CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. modules, Instead of making a new console name, Sony should just name the modular console the Playstation and support it for an absurd amount of time if all they're interested in is pushing technical limits.

And selling games as a service to a streaming box or what Xbox Gamepass is doing, that's the future as well to some extent. I remember when my dad was working at Blockbuster as a manager, he and the staff didn't see an end to the business. Then here came Netflix and the rest is history. I just think the way society is evolving, and in a sense devolving, that we're becoming more impatient and want games, just like movies, streamed to a device on demand. I firmly stand by the point that generations will eventually end, that's the nature of technology.

Ljink96 said:
Anybody who thinks generations will be around for much longer are way far stuck in the past. As technology evolves, gens will disappear. The proactive way to think is to take something that's standard today and try and understand why it won't be standard 10-20 years from now. We will eventually get to the point where adding more power becomes useless and the focus will be on more efficient programming and graphics techniques. In other words, optimization of software. I can't see a future where there is a PS20 or Xbox Infinity+ One, or Nintendo Wii Mii U + Two.

Technology will eventually come to the point where we have a little box with 50 terabytes of storage that only needs firmware/OS updates. I kind of liken it to the include or require files function in PHP. Instead of going one by one to the next console, one console will last 10-20 years and any new data needed will be included as necessary. Hell, Modular consoles will probably be all the rage. Just keep the base and buy new CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. modules, Instead of making a new console name, Sony should just name the modular console the Playstation and support it for an absurd amount of time if all they're interested in is pushing technical limits.

And selling games as a service to a streaming box or what Xbox Gamepass is doing, that's the future as well to some extent. I remember when my dad was working at Blockbuster as a manager, he and the staff didn't see an end to the business. Then here came Netflix and the rest is history. I just think the way society is evolving, and in a sense devolving, that we're becoming more impatient and want games, just like movies, streamed to a device on demand. I firmly stand by the point that generations will eventually end, that's the nature of technology.

Except the topic is about whether generations are dead now - not in 20 years' time.