By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - There is No such thing as Gen Nine!!!!!

Gens are dead?

Yes 32 16.84%

No 114 60.00%

Does it even matter? 44 23.16%

Total:190

I don't know why people are SO confused by the Switch. It is a 9th gen console. That doesn't mean that you can't compare its sales to the PS4 or that it doesn't compete with it. This isn't the first time this has happened.

During the 1st gen, the Odyssey came out 3-4 years before its competition. Same gen. During the 2nd gen, the launches of HW was spread out over 4 years. Same gen. During the 3rd gen, the NES/Famicom launched 2 years before the Master System and 3 years before the Atari 7200. Same gen. During the 4th gen, the Turbo Graphx launched 3 years before the SNES. And the Genesis launched 2 years before it. That doesn't mean they were of a different gen just because they competed against the NES and Master System at first. During the 5th gen, every other system launched 2-3 years before the N64. Again, same gen. During the 6th gen, the Dreamcast launched 2-3 years before the other consoles. Same gen. If the PS5 launches either in 2019 or 2020, which it will, then it's the exact same thing.

Remember, what happened last gen and this gen, where they all launch within a year of each other, isn't really the norm.

Around the Network
Trunkin said:
Lawlight said:
Disagree. Sony still wants discrete generations so I don't see how you can say gens are dead.

Right. Next gen starts when Sony says it does!

The OP seems to have missed that memo.

The Switch is 4th gen, along with X1 and PS4. Wii U was 3rd Gen. 5th gen begins when the only gaming company that matters decides to perform a +1 on their beautiful trademark.

4 ≈ One

Captain_Yuri said:
I don't get how gens work anymore... Like usually, the game companies released hardware in a relatively similar time frame in the past, grated it was + or - a couple of years. This gen on the other hand, Sony and MS are basically going at it while Nintendo is doing their own thing when it comes to releasing hardware.

So idk how gens really work cause it doesn't make sense to say "Sony decides when next gen starts or MS decides when next gen starts" cause this is Sony's 4th gen console and MS's 3rd gen console and Nintendo's 9th gen console or w.e.

So it's all messed up. Specially when you consider that MS is saying they don't believe in generations anymore.

Sega was out of sync too with it's releases.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Gens are stupid and are only a method for console makers to justify no BC or FC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Lawlight said:
Ljink96 said:
Anybody who thinks generations will be around for much longer are way far stuck in the past. As technology evolves, gens will disappear. The proactive way to think is to take something that's standard today and try and understand why it won't be standard 10-20 years from now. We will eventually get to the point where adding more power becomes useless and the focus will be on more efficient programming and graphics techniques. In other words, optimization of software. I can't see a future where there is a PS20 or Xbox Infinity+ One, or Nintendo Wii Mii U + Two.

Technology will eventually come to the point where we have a little box with 50 terabytes of storage that only needs firmware/OS updates. I kind of liken it to the include or require files function in PHP. Instead of going one by one to the next console, one console will last 10-20 years and any new data needed will be included as necessary. Hell, Modular consoles will probably be all the rage. Just keep the base and buy new CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. modules, Instead of making a new console name, Sony should just name the modular console the Playstation and support it for an absurd amount of time if all they're interested in is pushing technical limits.

And selling games as a service to a streaming box or what Xbox Gamepass is doing, that's the future as well to some extent. I remember when my dad was working at Blockbuster as a manager, he and the staff didn't see an end to the business. Then here came Netflix and the rest is history. I just think the way society is evolving, and in a sense devolving, that we're becoming more impatient and want games, just like movies, streamed to a device on demand. I firmly stand by the point that generations will eventually end, that's the nature of technology.

Except the topic is about whether generations are dead now - not in 20 years' time.

Well by the process of elimination you should be able to deduce that my answer is yes. I I predict that they are going to be dead 10-20 years from now chances are i think they are on their way out. I gave my reason why i think gens will die and i can't make that claim based off my own bias and understanding. Switch will be around for 7-10 years and who knows what Sony's next move will be. That's why i gave that timeframe. Gaming consoles last at least half a decade so yeah I think I gave myself enough room for.my argument. For something like game console generations it's kind of pointless to talk about the present in blissful ignorance without at least bringing up the future of them.

And if that were truly the case, it wouldn't make sense as gen 8 isn't over yet. It makes no sense to base it off of right this instant...

Around the Network
vivster said:
Gens are stupid and are only a method for console makers to justify no BC or FC.

Not sure if trolling. Or very.... much out of touch with reality.

Hunting Season is done...

I know one thing for sure, that there will be a PS5/PSV

Not sure. Too early to say...

But what you don't seem to realize, is that NO ONE WAS THINKING OF GENERATIONS IN THE BEGINNING EITHER.

Nobody made the Magnavox Oddessey and thought, "Alright here is gen 1!" I think the lines were ALWAYS blurred. No competing consoles come out at the same time. The Atari and Intellivision came out YEARS apart, but they started the original console war. You just get a general approximation of a generation based on tech and design.

Your original post is over simplifying things.

Hindsight, as weird as it sounds, makes it easier to discuss things.

Give it another 5 years, and I think it'll be highly likely we'll be using terms like "gen 9".

Switch is not gen 9, there have been instances of the same maker releasing 2 consoles in a gen after a dud and WiiU was a dud

handheld gens are entirely separate anyway, so people who want to class it as that have even less of an argument here

but there will be a pretty distinguishable gen 9 in my opinion - not sure about gen 10 or beyond though