By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you ACTUALLY believe that Nintendo is creating artifical Switch shortages?

Tagged games:

I don't believe that at all.

Around the Network

This has been Nintendo stratregy since the early 80s.

There are books and news reports about it.

curl-6 said:
SegataSanshiro said:

They got thier money for that system.

They don't get any money when someone goes home empty handed or buys something else instead because the store doesn't have any Switch stock. You can't rely on demand that's here today still being here months from now, you have to strike while the iron is hot. A lot of prospecive buyers will lose interest or choose an alternative, and those potential sales will be lost.

There is the thing. Nintendo doesn´t think consumers have any alternative.

They consider their product so superior and so compeling they belive consumers are willing to wait and hunt for their games for months.

Nintendo hasn´t changed a bit. It was the same thing against Sega, with the PlayStation 1 e 2, and the Smartphones.

Dark_Feanor said:
curl-6 said:

They don't get any money when someone goes home empty handed or buys something else instead because the store doesn't have any Switch stock. You can't rely on demand that's here today still being here months from now, you have to strike while the iron is hot. A lot of prospecive buyers will lose interest or choose an alternative, and those potential sales will be lost.

There is the thing. Nintendo doesn´t think consumers have any alternative.

They consider their product so superior and so compeling they belive consumers are willing to wait and hunt for their games for months.

Nintendo hasn´t changed a bit. It was the same thing against Sega, with the PlayStation 1 e 2, and the Smartphones.

You expect me to believe that after their sales collapsed by over 60% from DS + Wii to 3DS + Wii U, they believe consumers don't have an alternative?

Not really. Only people that dislike Nintendo would say something like this.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

I don't know why if they truly did for the Wii but this time around Nintendo keep announcing more and more stock and raising year 1 expected total sales for switch. They simply can't catch up to demand, the switch success came at a moderate surprise and they really want to sell as many switch as possible when the device is super popular ... with Zelda and Mario in year 1 there no reason to spread out sales. beside last few years hasn't been good for Nintendo.

If people think Nintendo is limiting stock, why do they keep announcing that they're raising production?

I think some people are just angry deep down at the company for some reason, and just can't make a reseanoble conclusion of the situation at hand when it comes to the Switch shortages.

I'm mean, c'mon guys. Nintendo is to "pride"? I get what you guys are trying to say, but after the WiiU situation, I just can't see how that's the case here.

Evil geniuses too, I mean, how would that even work? Just thousand's of Switch's stored somewhere, for months, just waiting for the right time to be sold to retailers. That would get leak in a heartbeat!

And besides, a headline with the words "Nintendo is selling millions and everyone is happy" sounds much better than "Nintendo STILL have problems with the demand and consumer's are pissed!" Right?

pokoko said:
Cloudman said:
I'd like to hear a logical reason as to why Nintendo would deliberately do this.

Well, to be fair, Nintendo does have a long history of manipulating the market.  They did a LOT of dodgey stuff in the 1980s that left a sour taste in the mouths of consumers and got them in hot water with various governments.  They've undersupplied retailers all the way back to the NES, both with consoles and with games.  At this point, it's pretty much expected.

Remind me of this dodgey stuff again if you could please?

pokoko said:

Personally, I think it means that Nintendo cares more about their bottom line than anything else.  They'd rather a supply deficit than to have an over-supply on the books for the year.  

I think it's safe to say Nintendo cares more about their bottom line than anything else. They gotta keep the lights on in their offices and pay their employees somehow...

SegataSanshiro said:

When I was a manager at GS in 2007 Nintendo would purposely send us 2-4 units at a time and a space of about 2-4 weeks in between shipments. No way in hell was it that hard to manufacture a overclocked Gamecube 360's were selling like crazy and we still had a bunch stacked in the back room and that was a state of the art machine. So yes Nintendo does it. It's good business. Create a high demand with low supply. It's a tried and true tactic. Switch is popular yes but Nintendo wants the hype to ride for not just popular but creating even more demand for a double edge sword.

Seems an awfully anecdotal tale. Note that the Wii was not the only hardware Nintendo was manufacturing at the time. They had DS units to manufacture as well...

Dark_Feanor said:
This has been Nintendo stratregy since the early 80s.

There are books and news reports about it.

Can you cite some of these news reports? I'd like to read up on them.

Yes. Mainly because I don't believe in coincidences of this size with businesses. You're not gonna have shortages (wii, nes classic, amiibo, switch, ds, etc) for as long as Nintendo does and with this many of their products. The people responsible would eventually lose their job over it if it kept happening. Artificial shortages, artificial scarcity and managed scarcity (whatever you want to call it) is a known business tactic and nintendo has been doing it for awhile. Having shortages once in a blue moon is one thing but it repeatedly happening with all of their popular products is quite another.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/13/15294494/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-console-discontinued-strategy

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/109643/Opinion_Why_Artificial_Scarcity_Could_Boost_Digital_Game_Downloads.php

https://www.engadget.com/2007/03/27/wii-shortage-is-intentional-according-to-gamestop/

http://n4g.com/news/2014325/gamestop-and-target-cancelling-some-switch-pre-orders-due-to-shortages