By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One X PC Build: Can you do it for $500?

ironmanDX said:
Hiku said:

You probably don't need an optical drive, since pretty much every modern game is available digitally on PC. So that's -$43.

And if you already have a PC, you probably already have storage, a case, and an OS you can use on your new one. That's an additional -$50, -$34, -$32.

$652 - $159 = $493.

So if you already own any kind of PC, you can turn it into a monster for $493.

People aren't reading it properly. This isn't a direct match. It's just a 4k pc as cheap as possible. There's no cooling system and only 8gb of gddr4. Hell, the motherboard is as cheap as they come. It doesn't even support wifi... In 2017. They've essentially cheated on this comparison and still come up short.

Do people game on Wifi? Eww...

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network

in fact you cant bult an equivalant pc for any console price, 

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

ohmylanta1003 said:
ironmanDX said:

People aren't reading it properly. This isn't a direct match. It's just a 4k pc as cheap as possible. There's no cooling system and only 8gb of gddr4. Hell, the motherboard is as cheap as they come. It doesn't even support wifi... In 2017. They've essentially cheated on this comparison and still come up short.

Do people game on Wifi? Eww...

Well, yeah.

I don't either. Ethernet cable master race?

Ka-pi96 said:
Bet you could upgrade a PC to the same (or better) specs for less than $500 though

That's what a lot of people forget to mention. Windows 10? What if I already have it? Stuff like that...

There's no doubt that X1X represents a good value in terms of price:power ratio. But, it remains to be seen whether devs will make use of that power. X1X is not a PC. It is not going to have the same level of user-customized settings, to ensure that the power is put to use. If devs make good use of it, then it could be argued that an X1X is a better purchase than an entry level gaming rig, for some people.

The other big factor that renders this math less relevant - upgradability. X1X, presumably, has none. So, while it may be equivalent to getting a $700 gaming rig for $500 at launch, it is not as good as that gaming rig 3 years down the line. At that point, the X1X will still have the same power. The gaming rig, if the owner wishes, could have a lot more. That upgrading costs money, of course. So, that complicates the math even more.

To put this all another way, X1X should not be compared to a gaming rig. It simply isn't one. It has traits that some people may find preferable to a PC, and other traits that other people may find inferior.

It is also difficult to evaluate the value of an X1X as a console. That's because we hadn't really seen this kind of mid-gen upgrade before the PS4 Pro. And, that's only 7 months of data to look at. We don't know whether devs will make use of the power. We don't know whether the console will sell enough units to make that a worthwhile use of development resources. We don't know if the XB2 software will be compatible with X1X (same on the PS side), or if distinct generations are gone forever.

I think we need a few years, or maybe even longer, to see how this is all going to play out. As one who enjoys watching the business of gaming evolve, I find this period to be very exciting. Things are changing, and that's fun to think about, talk about on VGC, and to observe.

Around the Network

Curious on why you need Bluray Drive and 1Tb HDD to play Forza 7 in 4k60fps. That and some other changes could make the difference pretty minimal when it launches.

Anyway for me it's a good price for the HW, but the games I want aren't there.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Curious on why you need Bluray Drive and 1Tb HDD to play Forza 7 in 4k60fps. That and some other changes could make the difference pretty minimal when it launches.

Maybe because some people will actually be using the XBOX to watch 4k blurays so they want to add all functionality.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Wouldn't it be cheaper for MS because they buy wholesale, and thus can sell it for less? Unlike here, where you're buying from multiple different sellers, and not in bulk, so you end up paying more.

Goddbless said:
DonFerrari said:

Maybe because some people will actually be using the XBOX to watch 4k blurays so they want to add all functionality.

And we are talking about running Forza and other X1X games on the same level. But sure if you want the drive you can buy it. Funny enough people say at the same time that physical media is dying and them go to ask a drive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Mr Puggsly said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea well if you are just comparing PC APUs to Console APUs, then what you said is fine cause the PC hardware market is different than the console hardware market. When people are buying a gaming PC, people are expected to buy dedicated hardware due to the nature of the platform.

Having a fairly strong GPU on an APU on PC would be pointless for the most part cause people generally intend to keep the CPUs for the longest time and upgrade the GPUs more frequently. The reason is that PC hardware moves very quickly but usually, cpu upgrades intend to have a smaller leap in performance than gpu upgrades. And the everyday workloads on PC generally intend to benefit greatly from stronger CPUs than GPUs but since consoles are so specific in nature and you can't upgrade really anything other than the hard drive, it needs to come with what is best for it's needs and that is generally the GPU.

And of course, most people wouldn't buy an i7 due to it's graphics but rather due to it's cpu horse power. The only reason it even has a graphics card is that many business use it for workstation hardware as well as many other things. It's why both Ryzen cpus and the intel's i7/i9 HEDT platforms do not even bother having a GPU inside them. So comparing the xbox one's GPU to it in that sense is kinda silly due to the cpu's use case. Cause that would be like me comparing an n64 to a 72 core intel xeon cpu and saying wow, the n64 is really impressive cause it has a gpu while $150,000 72 core xeon has no gpu... (Obviously, that is exaggerating)

I get what you're saying but it would be nice if we had resonably priced APUs on PC that were at par with X1 and PS4.

Intel has a higher end APU with Iris graphics but its in expensive devices and still junk for modern gaming.

Yes I would like better APUs for Notebooks for a good price.