By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo entering a new golden age?

Soundwave said:

Wii era is overrated. Only really Mario Galaxy 1/2, Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3, DKC Returns, Mario Kart Wii, and Smash Brawl are "must plays" and a lot of mediocre to "OK at best" third party stuff.

N64 alone had more must plays IMO. Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, Zelda: MM, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Star Fox 64, Paper Mario, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64 despite having a year less on market.

I understand Wii was successful with casuals, but they abandoned Nintendo anyway and a lot of the software aimed at this audience was frankly shit, so not sure what the net end benefit of all that was. In terms of actual high quality games, the Wii is not much better if at all than the N64 or GameCube. It's claim to fame is a gimmick. 

Way more good games on Wii than N64 or Gamecube I'd say. If we're going to mention stuff like Rogue Squadron and Conker, then on the Wii's side I'd add Monster Hunter Tri, The Last Story, Rayman Origins, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, de Blob 1 & 2, Sin & Punishment 2, etc.

Around the Network

The Switch won't beat the NES/SNES era. Heck, I think no future Nintendo console will. During the 80-90's most of the heavy hitter are on Nintendo's console, both from 1st and 3rd party. Unless PS flopped somehow there is no way Nintendo will reach the golden age again.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Well I plan on buying all first party Switch games that release for the rest of the year which is something I have never done before for any console manufacture so yes. for me at least I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the Switch's life it becomes my favorite Nintendo console.

I think so and im excited to see what new IPs they bring out of this, and how some games that used to be handheld only will evolve in a drastically more powerful system, that being said i dont think they (or anyone) will ever beat something like the Wii + DS era

Yes. Nintendo are back to there very best.

Around the Network

It is getting better!!!

I will definitely call it Plated Gold... a little bit extra to be done for pure gold... this holiday season will decide imo

Switch!!!

Akin to Wii/DS era? No.

It's weird how things go in cycles. I think that Nintendo are hitting a Golden Age, and it somehow feels different than the Wii/DS era which was dominated not by their usual IP's but new ones that utilised their new controls, and ultimately didn't have a lasting appeal. With the Switch it seems more organic.

For instance, I don't think there's been this much hype to Zelda and Mario since Mario64 and OoT. I mean Mario was the second most watched video game trailer of E3 - and will soon be number 1 easily - something that wouldn't have happened in recent consoles including the Wii. And you can tell that the type of games Nintendo are going for are totally different than those in the last two consoles. There's more imagination and expansiveness in the main franchises so far that I haven't seen since the GC era. 

It's just a fun time to be a Nintendo fan and I'm hyped. Let's go!

Cerebralbore101 said:
NES/SNES was the Golden Age. Wii/DS was the silver age.

For Switch to enter a Golden Age Nintendo would need serious backing from most of the Japanese devs. This means a new Monster Hunter, Square JRPG, Capcom Fighter, Atlus RPG, and Tales RPG all on Switch. To top it off Nintendo would need to put out several more masterpieces on the same level as BotW.

Well according to you 

Monhun check

Dragon quest(square jrpg) check

Shin megani tensei(atlus jrpg) check

New tales of check

Ultra street fighter 2 whatever check

According to you switch is already in the golden age then. Well if you want then we can wait for Monhun5 5 which we know will come and a new capcom fighter but other than that all of the others are there or will come by 2018-19 so there you go. Plus it has pokemon metroid xc2 the best Zelda potentially the best Mario splatoon an awesome new IP in ARMS. Sounds golden to me. Even if this isn't the golden age we can at least agree this year is the golden year of Nintendo gaming

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Not Until I see a real successor to SMB3.