By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and Splatoon 2 will all pass 10 million

What do you think?

You're right curl 273 64.24%

Go home curl you're drunk 152 35.76%

Total:425

Zelda is well on its way there already.

3D Mario has passed the 10m mark before with 64 and Galaxy, and Odyssey as a spiritual successor to 64 will do the same. Like Zelda, it will be an evergreen title for the system that will continue to sell throughout the Switch's life.

Splatoon sold 5 million as an unproven new IP on a system that didn't even reach 14 million. Now that it's a proven and beloved brand, and has a much more successful platform to sell on, it will double that.

This is my typically pessimistic prediction. Do you agree with me, or do you think I'm not being pessimistic enough?

Around the Network

Unlikely, as those games all launch when the system has a small install base. Nintendo games tend to have good legs. But, assuming Nintendo keeps a solid stream of good games coming to the system, it will be difficult for early games to sell millions of copies for years after release.

I do honestly think those are reasonable numbers for each of the 3 games, but I do think Odyssey will sell quite a bit over 10 million. If Nintendo continues this trend of dominating the nostalgic 20's gaming crowd they've been doing who grew up on 64 and Sunshine, and saying that the Switch could sell as much systems as the Wii did (which I honestly do think the Switch will sell bare minimum 80 million units), when looking at numbers for previous Mario games, I think Odyssey could sell a minimum 15 million copies. I might honestly be the bold one and say it could sell 20 million.

It's out there, but I think it's possible.

...no. Mario Odyssey will be the only game to reach that number. And that's Lifetime sales. Zelda will round out at about 6.5-7 million, Splatoon 2...eh, 3 million.

I agree with you, which is why I think you're probably drunk.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
...no. Mario Odyssey will be the only game to reach that number. And that's Lifetime sales. Zelda will round out at about 6.5-7 million, Splatoon 2...eh, 3 million.

What makes you think Splatoon 2 will sell less than the original? 

Splatoon

Global Total as of 06th May 2017 (units): 4.67m
Platform: Wii U
Developer: Nintendo EAD Genre: Shooter

Ljink96 said:

Zelda sold 3.8 million in its first month and is showing excellent legs. Why would it then go on to sell only 6.5-7 million?

And why would Splatoon sell less on Switch than on Wii U?

As long as theres no Splatoon 3 for a while

I can see it happening for Mario and Zelda. Unsure about Splatoon 2......... but that game just keeps surprising me in terms of sales. Especially at COMG right now.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

sc94597 said:
Ljink96 said:

What makes you think Splatoon 2 will sell less than the original? 

Splatoon

Global Total as of 06th May 2017 (units): 4.67m
Platform: Wii U
Developer: Nintendo EAD Genre: Shooter

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Mario+Galaxy&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

curl-6 said:
Ljink96 said:

Zelda sold 3.8 million in its first month and is showing excellent legs. Why would it then go on to sell only 6.5-7 million?

And why would Splatoon sell less on Switch than on Wii U?

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Mario+Galaxy&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

mZuzek said:
Ljink96 said:
Splatoon 2...eh, 3 million.

Pretty amazing that this is such a extreme lowball, when back in 2014 not even the highest predictions for Splatoon were this high.

I chose galaxy because it was a huge Mario game on a platform with well over 50 million units under its belt at the time. And there's no way Splatoon is as highly regarded as a selling power house than Mario's 3D outings or even his 2D ones. If Mario 3D World was released on Switch with upgrades, I'd expect it to sell less. It's too similar to the previous game which to me at least, means lost interest for the sequel. I'd love to be wrong and I probably will be but this is what I think. Calling something a sequel and it looks like a 1:1 ratio with added content and same engine...that really doesn't rub me the right way. That would mean MK8 deluxe qualifies as a sequel which isn't true. This could go either way, there's no way to gauge if Splatoon will continue its momentum as a series. That's my prediction, don't throw stones at me just yet.