Your thoughts?

TOO HIGH! 544 73.81%

Is actually a decent price 131 17.77%

For 4k gaming? Steal 62 8.41%

Total:737
celador said:
good luck at that price for a mid gen refresh

will have a good holiday perhaps, but long term, not going to change much

Long term it will get price cuts. I'm curious to see if it phases the X1S, but that might take 3 years.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Too expensive!

Mr Puggsly said:
celador said:
good luck at that price for a mid gen refresh

will have a good holiday perhaps, but long term, not going to change much

Long term it will get price cuts. I'm curious to see if it phases the X1S, but that might take 3 years.

In 3 years PS5 will most definitely be on the market(and possibly a new Xbox), so i don't see that happening.

The $499 pricepoint kills this dead IMHO. Yes it looks a great machine, very powerful but do games look that much better to warrant paying double the price of the Xbox One S?

We are at a crossroads with regards to gaming graphical fidelity being honest. There was nothing on show last night from Microsoft/Xbox that look that much different from what we can play on a $249/$299 console right now. 4K is brilliant if you are used to playing games on a huge screen and you are close enough to see the difference.

Over and above this, there is the price and diminishing returns. At the bottom end you have the One S and PS4 Slim. Both around the same price if you don't need 4K playback, then the best console experience from these two is definitely PS4. It looks and plays better. For $399 you get the PS4 Pro, you get pseudo-4k and the games look and play like a PS4....so graphically better than Xbox One S and plays better and looks (kind of) 4K. Then we have the Xbox One X....for $499 you get (supposedly) the best looking at 4K.

Apart from 4K, I think we will find that Xbox One X games will look and play very similar to PS4 games. Although time will tell.

In addition to this....all Sony need to do, it drop the price of the PS4 & PS4 Pro by $50 and it will finish it, before it's even started. So expect to see a permanent $249 PS4 Slim and $349 PS4 Pro later this year in time for the One X launching.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

AnthonyW86 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

In 3 years PS5 will most definitely be on the market(and possibly a new Xbox), so i don't see that happening.

Well its possible we'll see PS5 in 3 years, but I doubt it.

If X1X is $299 in 3 years, then it would probably make sense to phase out the X1S. I don't think MS will consider a new console until 2021.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Pseh, I will always think that this fight for more power is non-sense if you don't have games to back it up.

I hope they prove me wrong though and MS fans have a good time with this console.

Price is good if we think about the hardware they're providing though. 

Hiku said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't want a PS4 Pro because its not a big enough upgrade.

Yet I feel X1X is too expensive.

Frankly, this is a PREMIUM CONSOLE and I prefer MS going the expensive route versus a small upgrade like PS4 Pro.

And I'm of the opposite opinion. I won't upgrade to Pro, and I wouldn't even if it had XB1X's specs and price.
But, if I hadn't already bought a PS4 in February last year and I knew Pro was coming, I would have bought Pro instead since it's just $400. Likewise if my standard PS4 ever breaks, I'll buy a Pro as a replacement. I wouldn't if it cost $500. The enhancements aren't worth that much to me, seeing as games are still developed for the lowest common denominator.

Either way it's nice to have choices as we all have different taste. But we'll see which rout ended up satisfying more people.

Well just because games are being developed for OG X1 specs doesn't mean we aren't seeing big improvments for PC/X1X. I mean 4K textures are an example of that.

I think for a lot of people its hard to justify spending $400 or even $500 when you can find a PS4 and X1S for like $200-$250 playing the same games. But I'm not even considering a Pro because its just too modest of an upgrade. The visual improvments on X1X are designed to be a lot more significant thanks to the GPU and 4GB of RAM (4K textures and improved effects). I think the Digital Foundry videos are going to be interesting.

Recently Completed

But this isn't a bad price for the type of hardware they are offering, I'm just not interested at all in buying a console just because of POWAH but don't think the price is that bad.

Goodnightmoon said:

But this isn't a bad price for the type of hardware they are offering, I'm just not interested at all in buying a console just because of POWAH but don't think the price is that bad.

Yeah, for what you're getting the Price is ok. It's just not going to sell.

Mr Puggsly said:

Well just because games are being developed for OG X1 specs doesn't mean we aren't seeing big improvments for PC/X1X. I mean 4K textures are an example of that.

I think for a lot of people its hard to justify spending $400 or even $500 when you can find a PS4 and X1S for like $200-$250 playing the same games. But I'm not even considering a Pro because its just too modest of an upgrade. The visual improvments on X1X are designed to be a lot more significant thanks to the GPU and 4GB of RAM (4K textures and improved effects). I think the Digital Foundry videos are going to be interesting.

There should already be multiple games with 4k, heck even 8k textures on the Xbox One. I wouldn't even be surprised if a few used 16k textures.
Skyrim on PC for instance had textures that were 2k in size... And that was a last generation game, the remaster should be higher than that.

Granted, most of the textures would get mipped down anyway. But I digress.

Texture resolution is independent of display and output rendering resolution. Same with shadows, light shaft's etc'.
They can all have their own independent rendered resolutions... 16k textures can even have a benefit even if you are running at 720P/1080P.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--