By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One X will launch for $499

Your thoughts?

TOO HIGH! 544 73.81%

Is actually a decent price 131 17.77%

For 4k gaming? Steal 62 8.41%

Total:737

$499 for the hardware alone is understandable for the X1X. But given the macro-chasm of things (competition from Switch and 4, late in this generation, last in this generation, strong 1st/2nd party line up for the Switch/4, etc.) the $499 will appeal only to a limited audience.

Around the Network

The price is right, people wanting to spend less can buy a XBOne S.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

JRPGfan said:
irstupid said:

But I do like where Xbox seems to be heading. Seems like this happens every gen. A company does well, gets cocky, goes away from consumer and more corporate. The losers become better for consumer. I'm seeing that right now with PS and Xbox.

Beyond the price, the Xbox has become a very appealing system, imo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

A place without AAA exclusives?

Where focus isnt on big story driven single player games?

Where to get single player games, they ll be released in small bite sizes, on a net flix like subscription required thingy?

Where what sells their console seems to be reliant almost intirely on 3rd party multiplats? that run a tiny bit better than the PS4pro?

Imo Xbox is not heading in a good direction. I was surprised by your words, most people seem pretty worried about its future.

proof? look at all the threads about Microsofts E3 this year, on VGCz, Neogaf and the like :

"I'm starting to give up on Phil Spencer..."

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=229299&page=1

"I thought the Xbox show was fine, despite things missing. I'm a little worried though"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389896

I was talking about all things excluding games. Game devs make games for whatever platform, regardless if it is littered with DRM, has trophies/achievements, million gigs of ram or 2 gigs, 4k or 720, 30fps or 60fps, ect.

It's up to Sony/Nintendo/MS to give developers a platform to make games on. When the PS4 was announced and the xbox one was announced, the PS4 was 1000000% for the gamers and consumers and the Xbox one was totally not. IF I were to judge hardware right now, I woudl say Xbox One is better for the future of gamers and consumer than teh PS4. They seem to be more consumer friendly. NOthing about games. Xbox feels more free and open and willing to do things. PS4 seems to again be in the "We're the leaders and can do whatever we want" stage.

The reason PS4 shot out the gate huge back when it launched was not because it had a remasterd Last of Us, or whatever pathetic lineup all system launches all have, it was becuase they owned MS in the consumer friendly sounding device. MS came out with all these "can't share games, can't do this, can't do that, ect. Basically a huge DRM ridled box" As your excel sheet shows, they had more of those "new IP games" back then. But that doesn't matter when your buying into some closed off scary ecosystem. The refusal to purchase a One was more out of protest for their horrible corporate decisions over the games. I'm now seeing the PS4 go back into that attitude they had when the PS3 launched.

Arkaign said:
pokoko said:
The price is fine. It's supposed to be the Lexus in the line-up, not the Toyota. It's for those who don't mind paying a "premium price" for a luxury product. It was never intended to out-sell the base model.

Honestly, if they just made another console at the same level as the PS4 Pro, it would be an empty gesture. No one would leave the Playstation ecosystem for a side-grade. With this, though, they might pull away a few gamers who value resolution and "power" above everything else.

That brings up an interesting point, but it's not necessarily a great thing for Xbox.

PS4P is enough to run games at upscaled 4K @ 30FPS outside of special situations like racing games and other lightweight stuff.

X1X is enough to run at native 4K @ 30FPS outside of the same special situations.

However, X1X as well as PS4P are hobbled by fairly awful Jaguar CPUs, which will continue the heavy low-FPS in major stuff like Destiny, Wildlands, Shadow of War, almost certainly RDR2, etc.

So the 'power' gamers would be more likely to just go to PC and play at 60FPS+ right?

In that way, a hypothetical $599 X1X that used a Ryzen CPU but otherwise identical, good enough for 4K/60 in basically everything, might have actually been a better move. A slightly better 4K vs. upscaled 4K box is not a real game-changer. At all. When the flood of 4K/30 stuff keeps piling in, it doesn't seem all thaht exciting in the big picture. I'd rather have 1080/60 to be honest if given the choice, but that's not an option because of CPU limitations in many major titles. Small scale FPS and racing along with indies seem to dominate the 60fps spectrum on PS/XB :/

I made this exact point in another thread. Sony is in a good spot right now, they could wiat until 2019 and throw in a Threadripper CPU, new AMD Vega RX GPU and pretty much own next gen as well. Hell even if they launched next year with a Ryzen CPU it would be a better console than the Xbox1x. At any rate, Sony gave the Playstation some legs with the Pro version and is set to easily go into 2019 with the PS4 IMO. I would put my money on a 2019 Release for a new Playstation at a $399 price point.

NATO said:
Intrinsic said:

Is it just me? or were the people cheering during the xb1 conference "planted".....

I mean, cheering for 4k bluray plyback and memory bandwidth? Like really?

i was thinking the exact same thing, reactions from them throughout both occured before those or the rest of the audience and significantly more exaggerated,

the cheers were not in line with what was being shown

It could be like the XBO reveal itself, where they made sure to put their own employees upfront and the media back a few rows.

Around the Network
nanzano said:
The only thing I hate about this is that a 299 Price for the PS4Pro is now impossible. The scorpio had one year before it release, how was 399 not possible M$???

I wouldn't say impossible. Sony was smart to keep the manufacturing price cheap on the Pro.  It is just a mid-gen refresh, anyway.  They went with the same CPU, only overclocked and maybe with a few small improvements.  The GPU is the same, again maybe with a few small improvements, only they doubled up on it.  Same RAM, just with a higher bandwith.  All of this will allow them to cut the price when needed to.  Hell, if they wanted to they probably could cut the price to $299 this Sept, and break even.  Of course, that would only be done if they just want to seal the Scorpio's fate.  Personally, I think they will see no need to, and just drop to $349 and still make profit on it.  A $150 price difference is significant enough.

And I think $399 was possible for the Scorpio, but MS doesn't care about its success.  At $399, they would probably be breaking even, or taking a very small loss.  But, this is what I believe they are thinking.  If it succeeds, then good, maybe we'll make a XB2 in 2019-2020.  If it fails, which is the much more likely outcome, they we'll still be making profit on each one sold, while we shift even more to Windows gaming.

Superman4 said:
Arkaign said:

That brings up an interesting point, but it's not necessarily a great thing for Xbox.

PS4P is enough to run games at upscaled 4K @ 30FPS outside of special situations like racing games and other lightweight stuff.

X1X is enough to run at native 4K @ 30FPS outside of the same special situations.

However, X1X as well as PS4P are hobbled by fairly awful Jaguar CPUs, which will continue the heavy low-FPS in major stuff like Destiny, Wildlands, Shadow of War, almost certainly RDR2, etc.

So the 'power' gamers would be more likely to just go to PC and play at 60FPS+ right?

In that way, a hypothetical $599 X1X that used a Ryzen CPU but otherwise identical, good enough for 4K/60 in basically everything, might have actually been a better move. A slightly better 4K vs. upscaled 4K box is not a real game-changer. At all. When the flood of 4K/30 stuff keeps piling in, it doesn't seem all thaht exciting in the big picture. I'd rather have 1080/60 to be honest if given the choice, but that's not an option because of CPU limitations in many major titles. Small scale FPS and racing along with indies seem to dominate the 60fps spectrum on PS/XB :/

I made this exact point in another thread. Sony is in a good spot right now, they could wiat until 2019 and throw in a Threadripper CPU, new AMD Vega RX GPU and pretty much own next gen as well. Hell even if they launched next year with a Ryzen CPU it would be a better console than the Xbox1x. At any rate, Sony gave the Playstation some legs with the Pro version and is set to easily go into 2019 with the PS4 IMO. I would put my money on a 2019 Release for a new Playstation at a $399 price point.

I think they are going to use a semi-custom Zen 1700, with some slight advancements made since its launch.  Possibly a Zen+ if it's out in time and cheap enough.  Even if it's the former, that is a pretty damn big leap over the PS4 and XBO's Jaguar, even with Scorpio's overclocking of it.  I'm guessing Vega 10, which is 12.5 Tflops, for the GPU.  Though, they may go with a Vega 20, which is 15 Tflops, if, again, it is out in time and cheap enough.  For RAM, I'm guessing 16GB of GDDR6 or HBM2/3.  Either way, it's going to be more than twice the power of the Scorpio and, most likely, be out just 2 years after it launches.  That, plus the fact that Scorpio, or even XBO, has no real exclusives, makes its purchase just seem so pointless to me.

Next gen, 4K30/60FPS will definitely be the standard.  Though, I coulds still see some devs using CB4K if they want to push the visuals even more. 

Mr Puggsly said:

Some games are now recommending about 8GB of VRAM for the highest quality textures. That's more memory than PS4, X1, and PS4 Pro have to work with. X1X actually made a significant memory upgrade so its gonna have better textures. 

Skyrim was on last gen consoles, but you won't see those high quality textures on 360 and PS3.

I never said I would expect to see those textures on 360/Playstation 3. But for an old game on other platforms it's done well texture resolution wise.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Some games are now recommending about 8GB of VRAM for the highest quality textures. That's more memory than PS4, X1, and PS4 Pro have to work with. X1X actually made a significant memory upgrade so its gonna have better textures. 

Skyrim was on last gen consoles, but you won't see those high quality textures on 360 and PS3.

I never said I would expect to see those textures on 360/Playstation 3. But for an old game on other platforms it's done well texture resolution wise.

Well those texture on Ps3 and 360 were pretty muddy sometimes even if acceptable.

Frankly, X1 and PS4 have good textures. But X1X is gonna raise the bar on consoles like a premium console should.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Phil Spencer after E3.