By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One X will launch for $499

Your thoughts?

TOO HIGH! 544 73.81%

Is actually a decent price 131 17.77%

For 4k gaming? Steal 62 8.41%

Total:737

Too costly, they should have just launched a slightly better xbox with a lot of exclusives.

Around the Network

Well, I'll probably wait on it. I like the look, seeing liquid cooling sounds great for sound. I have the One S and was planning on trading it in for this just because. But guessing even with trade in I would be paying like $350-$400, which is still quite a lot for basically changing my console from white to black.

But I do like where Xbox seems to be heading. Seems like this happens every gen. A company does well, gets cocky, goes away from consumer and more corporate. The losers become better for consumer. I'm seeing that right now with PS and Xbox.

Beyond the price, the Xbox has become a very appealing system, imo. I mean they are pushing BC hard, not only last gen, but now even xbox original. Meanwhile Playstation comes out again knocking not only BC, but anyone who likes BC. Their newest most powerful system not only looks great, but it is also their smallest. Meanwhile playstation comes out with not only their biggest console to date but the ugliest console to date PS4Pro. The One X, and the One S both have UHD 4k players in them, the Pro or any of Sony's do not.

Really the only bad thing about the One X is the $499 price tag. And well seeing how this system does not replace the One or the One S, all the games work on those systems too, your just paying for the premium console. If you can't afford that premium, you can't afford it. There are premiums in lots of tech. Whether your getting a graphcis card that is totally overpowered, or a phone with larger space or that TV with some extra feature, ect. Some people drop $2,000 on a 4k tv, while others only drop $500 on a 4k tv. Why is it that video gamers think that the highest premium versions need to be mass consumer affordable?

lol ms

Looking at it this way, sales of the PS4 Pro apparently account for 20% of total PS4 sales. Add into the mix that PS4 has been selling double the number of units that the Xbox One has and the Xbox One X is $100 more expensive than the PS4 Pro.....all leads me to believe that we will not see huge sales of this unit at all.

And this doesn't take into consideration the possibility that Sony may cut the price of the PS4 and the PS4Pro before November....or even MS cuts the price of the Xbox One S...which will stop sales of the Xbox One X....

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

I don't necessarily think that the price is too high, but it's definitely too high for MS.
The thing with price is that value is very much subjective, so anything theoretically could sell, just look at some phones.

To mainstream consumers XBox has so little value, that it's treated at the level of a PlayStation knock off.
This is anedoctal, but everyone I knew who had an XBox was:
a) Bought the console by their parents
b) Not particularly into gaming

To offset this XBox would need a long term marketing strategy to rehabilitate its look and try to entice people that would want to buy their systems. A costlier system flies in the face of that.

P.S. I'm astounded at how they manage to make an already ugly looking system look worse with each iteration

Around the Network

Certainly more than I expected ($399-449) but its a premium device so I get it...

Honestly, I think its a breath of fresh air to have PS4 pro and now One X, options are always great and serves the "core" fan looking to upgrade. Obviously with a trade in it will soften the blow and shave off $100 easily. Its not that bad IMO and actually helps the value proposition of the standard consoles as well. Its a win for Sony, MS and the entire industry. I don't get the whole "DOA" opinion there are other markets to cater to not just the mainstream.

irstupid said:

But I do like where Xbox seems to be heading. Seems like this happens every gen. A company does well, gets cocky, goes away from consumer and more corporate. The losers become better for consumer. I'm seeing that right now with PS and Xbox.

Beyond the price, the Xbox has become a very appealing system, imo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

A place without AAA exclusives?

Where focus isnt on big story driven single player games?

Where to get single player games, they ll be released in small bite sizes, on a net flix like subscription required thingy?

Where what sells their console seems to be reliant almost intirely on 3rd party multiplats? that run a tiny bit better than the PS4pro?

Imo Xbox is not heading in a good direction. I was surprised by your words, most people seem pretty worried about its future.

proof? look at all the threads about Microsofts E3 this year, on VGCz, Neogaf and the like :

"I'm starting to give up on Phil Spencer..."

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=229299&page=1

"I thought the Xbox show was fine, despite things missing. I'm a little worried though"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389896

$499 for the hardware alone is understandable for the X1X. But given the macro-chasm of things (competition from Switch and 4, late in this generation, last in this generation, strong 1st/2nd party line up for the Switch/4, etc.) the $499 will appeal only to a limited audience.

The price is right, people wanting to spend less can buy a XBOne S.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

JRPGfan said:
irstupid said:

Beyond the price, the Xbox has become a very appealing system, imo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

A place without AAA exclusives?

Where focus isnt on big story driven single player games?

Where to get single player games, they ll be released in small bite sizes, on a net flix like subscription required thingy?

Where what sells their console seems to be reliant almost intirely on 3rd party multiplats? that run a tiny bit better than the PS4pro?

Imo Xbox is not heading in a good direction. I was surprised by your words, most people seem pretty worried about its future.

proof? look at all the threads about Microsofts E3 this year, on VGCz, Neogaf and the like :

"I'm starting to give up on Phil Spencer..."

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=229299&page=1

"I thought the Xbox show was fine, despite things missing. I'm a little worried though"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389896

I was talking about all things excluding games. Game devs make games for whatever platform, regardless if it is littered with DRM, has trophies/achievements, million gigs of ram or 2 gigs, 4k or 720, 30fps or 60fps, ect.

It's up to Sony/Nintendo/MS to give developers a platform to make games on. When the PS4 was announced and the xbox one was announced, the PS4 was 1000000% for the gamers and consumers and the Xbox one was totally not. IF I were to judge hardware right now, I woudl say Xbox One is better for the future of gamers and consumer than teh PS4. They seem to be more consumer friendly. NOthing about games. Xbox feels more free and open and willing to do things. PS4 seems to again be in the "We're the leaders and can do whatever we want" stage.

The reason PS4 shot out the gate huge back when it launched was not because it had a remasterd Last of Us, or whatever pathetic lineup all system launches all have, it was becuase they owned MS in the consumer friendly sounding device. MS came out with all these "can't share games, can't do this, can't do that, ect. Basically a huge DRM ridled box" As your excel sheet shows, they had more of those "new IP games" back then. But that doesn't matter when your buying into some closed off scary ecosystem. The refusal to purchase a One was more out of protest for their horrible corporate decisions over the games. I'm now seeing the PS4 go back into that attitude they had when the PS3 launched.