By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One X will launch for $499

Your thoughts?

TOO HIGH! 544 73.81%

Is actually a decent price 131 17.77%

For 4k gaming? Steal 62 8.41%

Total:737

If we forget about the 1080p vs 4k resolution difference....do you honestly think we will see a serious difference in graphics and performance from PS4 to Xbox One X?

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well just because games are being developed for OG X1 specs doesn't mean we aren't seeing big improvments for PC/X1X. I mean 4K textures are an example of that.

I think for a lot of people its hard to justify spending $400 or even $500 when you can find a PS4 and X1S for like $200-$250 playing the same games. But I'm not even considering a Pro because its just too modest of an upgrade. The visual improvments on X1X are designed to be a lot more significant thanks to the GPU and 4GB of RAM (4K textures and improved effects). I think the Digital Foundry videos are going to be interesting.

There should already be multiple games with 4k, heck even 8k textures on the Xbox One. I wouldn't even be surprised if a few used 16k textures.
Skyrim on PC for instance had textures that were 2k in size... And that was a last generation game, the remaster should be higher than that.

Granted, most of the textures would get mipped down anyway. But I digress.

Texture resolution is independent of display and output rendering resolution. Same with shadows, light shaft's etc'.
They can all have their own independent rendered resolutions... 16k textures can even have a benefit even if you are running at 720P/1080P.

Some games are now recommending about 8GB of VRAM for the highest quality textures. That's more memory than PS4, X1, and PS4 Pro have to work with. X1X actually made a significant memory upgrade so its gonna have better textures. 

Skyrim was on last gen consoles, but you won't see those high quality textures on 360 and PS3.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Would love to see PS4P and X difference. I knew about the 500$ tag. Not sure how they are going to sell this console though with the games lineup looking very underwhelming

Too costly, they should have just launched a slightly better xbox with a lot of exclusives.

Well, I'll probably wait on it. I like the look, seeing liquid cooling sounds great for sound. I have the One S and was planning on trading it in for this just because. But guessing even with trade in I would be paying like $350-$400, which is still quite a lot for basically changing my console from white to black.

But I do like where Xbox seems to be heading. Seems like this happens every gen. A company does well, gets cocky, goes away from consumer and more corporate. The losers become better for consumer. I'm seeing that right now with PS and Xbox.

Beyond the price, the Xbox has become a very appealing system, imo. I mean they are pushing BC hard, not only last gen, but now even xbox original. Meanwhile Playstation comes out again knocking not only BC, but anyone who likes BC. Their newest most powerful system not only looks great, but it is also their smallest. Meanwhile playstation comes out with not only their biggest console to date but the ugliest console to date PS4Pro. The One X, and the One S both have UHD 4k players in them, the Pro or any of Sony's do not.

Really the only bad thing about the One X is the $499 price tag. And well seeing how this system does not replace the One or the One S, all the games work on those systems too, your just paying for the premium console. If you can't afford that premium, you can't afford it. There are premiums in lots of tech. Whether your getting a graphcis card that is totally overpowered, or a phone with larger space or that TV with some extra feature, ect. Some people drop $2,000 on a 4k tv, while others only drop $500 on a 4k tv. Why is it that video gamers think that the highest premium versions need to be mass consumer affordable?

Around the Network

lol ms

Looking at it this way, sales of the PS4 Pro apparently account for 20% of total PS4 sales. Add into the mix that PS4 has been selling double the number of units that the Xbox One has and the Xbox One X is $100 more expensive than the PS4 Pro.....all leads me to believe that we will not see huge sales of this unit at all.

And this doesn't take into consideration the possibility that Sony may cut the price of the PS4 and the PS4Pro before November....or even MS cuts the price of the Xbox One S...which will stop sales of the Xbox One X....

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

I don't necessarily think that the price is too high, but it's definitely too high for MS.
The thing with price is that value is very much subjective, so anything theoretically could sell, just look at some phones.

To mainstream consumers XBox has so little value, that it's treated at the level of a PlayStation knock off.
This is anedoctal, but everyone I knew who had an XBox was:
a) Bought the console by their parents
b) Not particularly into gaming

To offset this XBox would need a long term marketing strategy to rehabilitate its look and try to entice people that would want to buy their systems. A costlier system flies in the face of that.

P.S. I'm astounded at how they manage to make an already ugly looking system look worse with each iteration

Certainly more than I expected ($399-449) but its a premium device so I get it...

Honestly, I think its a breath of fresh air to have PS4 pro and now One X, options are always great and serves the "core" fan looking to upgrade. Obviously with a trade in it will soften the blow and shave off $100 easily. Its not that bad IMO and actually helps the value proposition of the standard consoles as well. Its a win for Sony, MS and the entire industry. I don't get the whole "DOA" opinion there are other markets to cater to not just the mainstream.

irstupid said:

But I do like where Xbox seems to be heading. Seems like this happens every gen. A company does well, gets cocky, goes away from consumer and more corporate. The losers become better for consumer. I'm seeing that right now with PS and Xbox.

Beyond the price, the Xbox has become a very appealing system, imo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCHcfMbVwAQ3sjo.jpg

A place without AAA exclusives?

Where focus isnt on big story driven single player games?

Where to get single player games, they ll be released in small bite sizes, on a net flix like subscription required thingy?

Where what sells their console seems to be reliant almost intirely on 3rd party multiplats? that run a tiny bit better than the PS4pro?

Imo Xbox is not heading in a good direction. I was surprised by your words, most people seem pretty worried about its future.

proof? look at all the threads about Microsofts E3 this year, on VGCz, Neogaf and the like :

"I'm starting to give up on Phil Spencer..."

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=229299&page=1

"I thought the Xbox show was fine, despite things missing. I'm a little worried though"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389896