By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One X will launch for $499

Your thoughts?

TOO HIGH! 544 73.81%

Is actually a decent price 131 17.77%

For 4k gaming? Steal 62 8.41%

Total:737
Hiku said:

For some reason I expected the design of the system to look significantly different from the standard Xbox One. But in hindsight I'm not sure why I got that impression. Guess I didn't actually give it any thought.

The fact that it's smaller than Xbox One S deserves props though.

I thought the original Xbox One was one of the ugliest systems ever made. It was just a square generic VCR from the 90's. And not even a good looking one at that. But both Xbox One S and X look really nice. Sony on the other hand made their PS4 Slim and Pro look worse than the original PS4 imo.

I love the looks of the original xbox 1. i think it looks perfect.  scorpio looks awful. and the xbox S is just the original but smaller. Same look just tiny version.

Around the Network
FallingTitan said:
Hiku said:

For some reason I expected the design of the system to look significantly different from the standard Xbox One. But in hindsight I'm not sure why I got that impression. Guess I didn't actually give it any thought.

The fact that it's smaller than Xbox One S deserves props though.

I thought the original Xbox One was one of the ugliest systems ever made. It was just a square generic VCR from the 90's. And not even a good looking one at that. But both Xbox One S and X look really nice. Sony on the other hand made their PS4 Slim and Pro look worse than the original PS4 imo.

I love the looks of the original xbox 1. i think it looks perfect.  scorpio looks awful. and the xbox S is just the original but smaller. Same look just tiny version.

Xbox One S is not just the original but smaller. The bottom protruding part is the main difference. It has a different size and color. It changes the whole composition and ergonomy, and makes it more asymetrical than the original. The grills are also significantly different. Round small holes instead of stripes. And there's no more glossy finish on the side. Details like that can make a huge difference for overall design impact. PS4 Slim is just a bit thinner at the top with rounded edges, but that was enough to give a completely different impression.

Decent price, crappy name.

Hmm, pie.

Hiku said:
FallingTitan said:

Xbox One S is not just the original but smaller. The bottom protruding part is the main difference. It changes the whole composition and ergonomy. It makes it more asymetrical than the original. The grills are also significantly different. Round small holes instead of stripes. And there's no more glossy finish on the side. Details like that can make a huge difference for overall design impact. PS4 Slim is just a bit thinner at the top with rounded edges, but that was enough to give a completely different impression.

You are right the PS4 slim looks like a big pencil eraser/gum. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I don't want a PS4 Pro because its not a big enough upgrade.

Yet I feel X1X is too expensive.

Frankly, this is a PREMIUM CONSOLE and I prefer MS going the expensive route versus a small upgrade like PS4 Pro.

Recently Completed
Rage 2
for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
celador said:
good luck at that price for a mid gen refresh

will have a good holiday perhaps, but long term, not going to change much

Long term it will get price cuts. I'm curious to see if it phases the X1S, but that might take 3 years.

Recently Completed
Rage 2
for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

I don't want a PS4 Pro because its not a big enough upgrade.

Yet I feel X1X is too expensive.

Frankly, this is a PREMIUM CONSOLE and I prefer MS going the expensive route versus a small upgrade like PS4 Pro.

And I'm of the opposite opinion. I won't upgrade to Pro, and I wouldn't even if it had XB1X's specs and price.
But, if I hadn't already bought a PS4 in February last year and I knew Pro was coming, I would have bought Pro instead since it's just $400. Likewise if my standard PS4 ever breaks, I'll buy a Pro as a replacement. I wouldn't if it cost $500. The enhancements aren't worth that much to me, seeing as games are still developed for the lowest common denominator.

Either way it's nice to have choices as we all have different taste. But we'll see which rout ended up satisfying more people.
I'm willing to bet a $400 Pro will expand PS4's market more than a $500 XB1X will for Xbox.

Too expensive!

Mr Puggsly said:
celador said:
good luck at that price for a mid gen refresh

will have a good holiday perhaps, but long term, not going to change much

Long term it will get price cuts. I'm curious to see if it phases the X1S, but that might take 3 years.

In 3 years PS5 will most definitely be on the market(and possibly a new Xbox), so i don't see that happening.

The $499 pricepoint kills this dead IMHO. Yes it looks a great machine, very powerful but do games look that much better to warrant paying double the price of the Xbox One S?

We are at a crossroads with regards to gaming graphical fidelity being honest. There was nothing on show last night from Microsoft/Xbox that look that much different from what we can play on a $249/$299 console right now. 4K is brilliant if you are used to playing games on a huge screen and you are close enough to see the difference.

Over and above this, there is the price and diminishing returns. At the bottom end you have the One S and PS4 Slim. Both around the same price if you don't need 4K playback, then the best console experience from these two is definitely PS4. It looks and plays better. For $399 you get the PS4 Pro, you get pseudo-4k and the games look and play like a PS4....so graphically better than Xbox One S and plays better and looks (kind of) 4K. Then we have the Xbox One X....for $499 you get (supposedly) the best looking at 4K.

Apart from 4K, I think we will find that Xbox One X games will look and play very similar to PS4 games. Although time will tell.

In addition to this....all Sony need to do, it drop the price of the PS4 & PS4 Pro by $50 and it will finish it, before it's even started. So expect to see a permanent $249 PS4 Slim and $349 PS4 Pro later this year in time for the One X launching.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)