By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's E3 Spotlight is going to be 30 minutes long, Treehouse starts 30 minutes later

I guess third parties wont take up much time..

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

i think third party games will be show on treehouse

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

And why would they? They had barely anything in January. They would write off March sales as launch month and April as the month after launch. That leaves them with what? Maybe a couple of weeks to have something new in playable form?

While indies are quicker to move their games to Switch, Nintendo isn't going to highlight ports in their Spotlight.

Well not third party ports anyway...

If this ends up being a repeat of E3 2013 (speaking about presentation), it's bad.
There's nothing worse than embracing the E3 spirit and then having some guy speaking a few words, with little to no excitement, and showing of a trailer and repeating that formula for the whole 30 minutes.

E3 should be about excitement and fun, not a presentation to show a collection of trailers. We have NDs for that.

If is anything like their last directs like ARMS and the April one I'm cool with this, they have been doing a pretty solid job with them.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Mar1217 said:
Less blah-blah and more games, that's what I see here.

to be fair, Sony did this last year and had like an hr presentation.

That said, I dont see the problem. 30 mins is enough time for Nintendo to show off their Switch games. I think 30 mins is dissapointing, because e3 comes once a year and it would be nice to have at least hr long presentations. But thats just me, maybe.

But yes, 30 mins of announcements and quick trailers with footage at Treehouse is probably their angle. Which is not my thing but its doable.

As a frame of reference for people worried about the presentation being 30 minutes; lots of people point at 2014's E3 direct as something that they would love again but don't consider that it was 47 minutes long with around 25 minutes of it dedicated to mii fighters, Amiibos and dev interviews for Yoshi's Woolly World and Splatoon.  I think if the April Direct is a frame of reference, Nintendo will make more efficient use of their time and save the fluff pieces for more focused and dedicated directs.

Maybe if the Direct is all games that wont be on the Treehouse thing, then fair enough. No need for a Mario Odyssey trailer if we are going to see it being played live anyway.

I posted this in the other thread, so I'll add it here

I went back and compared it to the other presentation and you wouldn't believe the amount of fluff in these. I'll demonstrate with E3 2014 since everyone claims it was the best

0:00 - 3:30 Nintendo starts with a Robot Chicken skit and then there is the trailer for Miis in Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS
3:30 - 8:17 - Sakurai talks about Miis, shows a small trailer and gives the release dates
8:17 - 13:10 - Reggie talks about amiibo
13:10 - 18:13 - Yoshi Wolly World Developer Story
18:13 - 19:50 - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Trailer and another 20 second sketch
19:50 - 23:33 - Breath of the Wild Tease (then unnammed)
23:33 - 25:11 - Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
25:11 - 27:04 - Skit and Bayonetta 2 trailer
27:04 - 30:16 - Developer Story for Hyrule Warriors
30:16 - 33:06 - Trailers for Kirby and Xenoblade
33:53 - 34:53 - Super Mario Maker
34:53 - 41:15 - Trailer for Splatoon with a developer story. The trailer was only about 2 minutes long
41:15 - 46:44 - Reggie talks about some stuff, there is another Smash trailer and Miyamoto teases Star Fox

So almost the entire presentation was filler. If you count the developer stories, the fluff intro, amiibo, and Breath of the Wild tease, it takes up about 30 minutes of the presentation. Most of these can just be done in the Treehouse and it seems that's how Nintendo is moving (they did this a lot in 16). I should also note that most of these games didn't come out in 2014. Only Captain Toad, Smash, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta and Pokemon actually came out that year. If you only look at the stuff that came out that year (including all of the talking about those games), its about 15 minutes, 20 if you include the amiibo. Moreover, Nintendo's Directs have been far more to the point than the original E3 Directs were.

So if anyone is worried about the length, it will be fine.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't think Nintendo is going to go too crazy with this E3.

We know how they act in the past when they have market success, and it's generally to sit back and focus on the immediate future and not do more than is necessary. Unless it's different under Kimishima.

I think it will be mainly centered and focused on games coming out in 2017, specifically Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 and Zelda DLC.

They might throw the fans a bone with a Metroid teaser or something like that, a third party sizzle reel with a lot of Skyrim, FIFA, Monster Hunter XX, Project Octopath Traveller, NBA2K, Sonic, and maybe a Call of Duty announcement/old port/something, and some indie showreel stuff. 

The goal will be to get people to focus on Mario Odyessy, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario x Rabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, etc. and to buy those games in the immediate future.

I'm starting to think they won't announce anything new that we don't know yet...

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won