By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How can Microsoft win E3? Update: Almost, but dropped the ball!

Tagged games:

What Microsoft needs?

$299. 85 23.55%

Switch clone. 14 3.88%

Knack 2 exclusivity! 68 18.84%

Resign and go 3rd party. 134 37.12%

Nothing. 6 Tflops bitches! 60 16.62%

Total:361

The entire "winning" E3 is so ridiculously subjective.

Around the Network

I Chose "Knack 2 exclusivity!" because it's hard to take this seriously.

Dulfite said:
I don't think xbox can win or do well anymore, sorry. It has hardly no exclusives compared to Sony and especially Nintendo, and now that Nintendo has returned to being a powerhouse, xbox is going to stay in 3rd for a while and probably be in 3rd by a good amount by the end of this generation.

Unless they can buy up MULTIPLE 3rd party studios or create like 10 internal ones to create a ton of new ips, they are done. I say this having previously owned a 360 and playing Halo Reach like crazy on it (I don't hate xbox or its games).

What exactly making Nintendo this new powerhourse.  They are still pretty much releasing the same games people ignored with the WiiU on the switch.  If anything, what Nintendo shows is that you just need combination of the right hardware with your current lineup of software to gain momentun.  There is nothing MS can do this gen to change their situation.  Even if they were to win E3 with all the hopes and dreams of the hardcore PS gamer they would still not win this gen.  Its not about winning E3 or even winning this gen, its building a strong foundation for success.  If anything, I am sure MS would just love to win back the loss 360 marketshare first and then build from there.

Porcupine_I said:
RJ_Sizzle said:
Make deals with all brick and mortal stores and online distributors to become exclusive Xbox merchants, forcing Sony to only sell their products through one official online channel. Get patent for the name "video game". Patent troll and sue direct rivals.

That would still leave the immortal stores for Sony and Nintendo, and we all know these last longer

Ah CRAP! I have fated these institutions to doom with my spell check.

I personally believe its too late for ms to win the conference being that i dont believe they are really trying to secure amazing exclusives or develop new fresh ips. I remember how fucking awesome the 360 was back in the day when they had the system selling exclusives that i wanted such as Mass Effect, Bioshock, Lost Planet, Lost Odyssey, Gears (they still have it but its no longer fresh to me) and others i cant remember. But holy shit was i onboard with ms back then, not to mention they were super friendly with indie devs and had an amazing open platform for them to work on. When xbox 1 was announced and i saw the direction they were going with the always online and outrageous drm shit as well as them constantly pushing a peripheral that was not working as advertized i completely lost interest. Their decisions to try and block game sharing and re-selling felt like a fucking slap in the face. On top of that ps4 was morepowerful and proven to run more games at higher res than xbox. Power alone isnt a system seller but sony clearly had the better exclusives as well.

So yea, i do appreciate phil spencer and respect where hes going in terms of giving power to those who want it and im quite sure its going to destroy pro in that regard so good on you ms but they dropped the ball on killer games i want to play and showed how slimy they are willing to be to make money so i believe in the long run, its over for them....at least "this gen".

*Rant over

Around the Network
Tulipanzo said:
Imaginedvl said:

"lol". I do.

I mean I'm sorry but you are proving my point. I can tell you that Microsoft fans have a very different oppinion than Sony enthusiasts and I have hard time to comprehend how some people really believe they are "right" instead of understanding that at the end it is all relative and subjective. 

So yes, you can argue as much as you want :) Like the majority of the Sony enthusiasts or anti Microsoft, who are "not interrested" you defintely think Sony's E3 are close to heaven... While Microsoft enthusiasts have usually a very different oppinion. I personally found the majority of Sony's E3 extremly boring, and the reasons are simples, I do not care about their games and consoles... Guess what, same goes the other way :)

I can tell you that other than maybe 2015 where it has nothing to do with content at the end, the majority of Xbox fans will tell you Microsoft enthusiasts will tell you Microsoft E3s were the best. 

I mean this is dead end argument and you are just proving out our point here anyway. At the end all conference will be the best for the ones who are expecting something out of it for themselves and getting it... Sony fans do not care at all about Microsoft and vice-et-versa... Both side will find their conference (unless it is really really really bad which is never the case) to be the best and this is simple logic.

At the moment the Play Station Four vs Xbox One usebase is like what? 65%-35%, well I can garantee you the results wil be about the same in "who won the E3" polls... Again, simple logic and nothing objective at the end :)

I get your point, who "wins" E3 is very much subjective and will undoubtely be coloured by your preference.However the fact that it can't be discussed objectively doesn't mean that it can't be discussed.

It also doesn't mean that the entire community is divided into camps that will exclusively award the "best show" to their own brand each and every time.

Now, you may very well disagree with me there, and that's fine, to each its own. I'm sure you could argue that, as an XBox fan, it connected to you more.
However saying that Sony's next conference will be liked by more people because they sold more units, and that consequently there's no use discussing E3, seems like a preemptive way of saying that people won't like it.
Yet, you claim, XBox enthusiasts will like it, which isn't so great. You're implicitly admitting that, unless you're already on board with Microsoft and the direction the brand is taking, you won't like it. That this has been going on for a few years should make you pause.

It will ony convince people that require no further convincing. That might be bad. 

Actually I think we are agreeing.

1) This "E3 winner" thing is very sujective and some people do not even realize it. And you saw some people coming here with "that's a fact", "you cannot deny it", blah blah blah.

2) I never said we should / cannot discuss about we are disapointed or liking any conference or how Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo could have done things better or how much this or that was cool in their conference... I was only talking about those "who won E3" arguments... And for that and the polls, yes I believe Sony will be ahead no matter what (because of the userbase). Again, while this website may not be the best sample, you can see it in EVERY possible polls what I mean :). But as you said it (and I'm trying to), the "who won E3" does not matter at all for both fan bases. If you get what you want and liked the presentation for your platform it is all that matter at the end.

So I agree with you. Microsoft or Sony conference can be good or bad to anyone (and I certainly understand how Microsoft conference may be bad for someone who do not like their vision) but at the end those "omg [whateverconsolemakerhere] won the E3" thread/polls are largely subjectives and based on fan reactions in my oppinion. 

twintail said:
Imaginedvl said:

Why would I not watch them? 

I dont know, maybe because you said you found their E3s 'extremely boring' because you dont 'care about their games or console'

Imaginedvl said:

While I'm not intested into PS games or console that much, I have one at home and I still like to watch the whole E3 conference and the majority of what they show are multi-platform games anyway so it is far from a behind a waste of time. And finding Sony conference not so amazing does not make it a bad conference (that's also a difference between being a fan or enthusiast of one versus hating the other up to the point of making a lot of non-sense). I do not hate Sony but their gaming platform is just not appealing to me.

But you miraculaously have a PS console even though you are not interested or have appeal in their hardware or software.

But you are happy to sneak in a 'non-sense' that clearly doesnt relate to you, so perhaps for everyone else? Who knows...

Imaginedvl said:

Yah sure, no denying, the majority of Xbox fans can tell you otherwise 

so where are they?

Try to at least read the whole text before to reply and quote me (the non-sense for isntance) completly out of the place.

At the end, it does not change the facts that:

- I have a Play Station Four, I do not play it often (bought it for one game) and I watch the Sony conference every year.
- I do not find Sony conference amazingly ridiculously awesome like you seem to do because my interest is very limited and they are also showing a lot of multiplatforms. I do not find them bad either.
- I find Microsoft conferences very good in general as this is what I'm looking for.

Sorry if hurt your feelings as you seem to become just arrogant with your anwsers now. I'm glad you think there is "winner" at E3 and pretty sure you will find the next Sony conference to be the best in year no matter what. Good for you :)

The main difference between you and I, I guess. Is that liking Microsoft more does not make me hate Sony. And while my interrest are not so high for their gaming platform, I still own one (like almost all console) and I'm still curious and while being limited, there are some stuff that I'm looking for (same went for the Play Station Three; I bought it for one or two games). I do not hate Sony and saying that I do not find their conference amazing is different than bitching them.

Machiavellian said:
Dulfite said:
I don't think xbox can win or do well anymore, sorry. It has hardly no exclusives compared to Sony and especially Nintendo, and now that Nintendo has returned to being a powerhouse, xbox is going to stay in 3rd for a while and probably be in 3rd by a good amount by the end of this generation.

Unless they can buy up MULTIPLE 3rd party studios or create like 10 internal ones to create a ton of new ips, they are done. I say this having previously owned a 360 and playing Halo Reach like crazy on it (I don't hate xbox or its games).

What exactly making Nintendo this new powerhourse.  They are still pretty much releasing the same games people ignored with the WiiU on the switch.  If anything, what Nintendo shows is that you just need combination of the right hardware with your current lineup of software to gain momentun.  There is nothing MS can do this gen to change their situation.  Even if they were to win E3 with all the hopes and dreams of the hardcore PS gamer they would still not win this gen.  Its not about winning E3 or even winning this gen, its building a strong foundation for success.  If anything, I am sure MS would just love to win back the loss 360 marketshare first and then build from there.

But how with less and less exclusives?

• All future Xbox One exclusive titles will also launch on PC simultaneously.
  • Scorpio launches at $349/£299
  • New Perfect Dark game, Halo 6, Banjo Kazooe, Alan Wake 2 and Lost Oddessy 2.
  • Announce new high quality AAA/AA IP's, first party
  • And or revive and old IP from third party favourites IP

Though I have a feeling its going to be like.... announce Scorpio price ( $449 ), Forza 7 reveal, and then a Halo 6 CGI trailer

Otherwise its competing with the wild card that's Nintendo; with their in house games.. and maybe some surprise announcements - probably Metroid and Donkey Kong.

Then there's Sony; with God of War, The Last of Us 2, Detroit and probably 1 or 2 new AA/AAA IP's. And abundance of new Japanese exlusives.

Dulfite said:
Machiavellian said:

But how with less and less exclusives?

Exclusives do not win you install base.  Having a bunch of high quality games in different genres does.  Exclusives are only as good as their performance and this year happens to be a damn good one for Sony because a lot of the Japanese exclusives they have gotten just because they are a Japanese console.  This has always been a strength for Sony and probably will be for the foreseeable future.  The thing for MS to do is first gain back either the hardware edge or just make sure they do not  make the same mistake with the X1.  Second is to make sure their top franchises are polished solid top notch games to keep their base and probably gain back some defectors.  The next is to secure to make their system the easiest system to code for so that the many PC games that are release also make it to their system.  Last is to build their catalog of quality software.  MS does not have to beat Nintendo or Sony to be successful but they do have to make their ecosystem compelling enough for development and customer support. 

E3 has never been a make or break for any of these console OEMs.