By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Final Upadate! [Switch vs Wii] Breath of the Wild vs Twilight Princess Sales Comparison + BotW already over 10m combined

Looks like it’s stabilizing somewhere around 35-40% new hardware purchasers which is significantly higher than Twilight Princess’s stabilization point. It also means that BotW could sell another 2-4 million by the end of the summer: and, depending on the holiday lineup, up to 8 million more over the next year; although if Nintendo drives hardware with a Pokemon game this holiday season (instead of a group of games like Metroid Prime 4 + Bayonetta 3 + third party games) the numbers could be a lot less since it’s doubtful Zelda will be as high a priority for people getting the console for Pokemon.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
GuyDuke said:

On Wii alone, 7.26M

So BotW sold almost as much on Switch in one year as TP did LT sales on Wii? Wow, that's much better than I originally expected... well, much worse for TP to be exact, thought it would have reached closer to 10M

I think Twilight Princess on Wii is officially at 7.4m shipped. The GC version probably shipped at least 1.5m too, so it should be around 9m combined. You're not that far off of your 10m expectation.

As for Breath of the Wild, it shipped 6.7m by december. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed TP's shipments on Wii (7.4m) by the end of this quarter/month. Anyways, we'll know soon enough when Nintendo shows us some figures later in April. My personal expectation is 7.5m shipped on Switch.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Jumpin said:

Looks like it’s stabilizing somewhere around 35-40% new hardware purchasers which is significantly higher than Twilight Princess’s stabilization point. It also means that BotW could sell another 2-4 million by the end of the summer: and, depending on the holiday lineup, up to 8 million more over the next year; although if Nintendo drives hardware with a Pokemon game this holiday season (instead of a group of games like Metroid Prime 4 + Bayonetta 3 + third party games) the numbers could be a lot less since it’s doubtful Zelda will be as high a priority for people getting the console for Pokemon.

Yeah, I think 8m in 2018 is too high, Pokémon or not. That would be much more than it did last year, which would be insane. But... I will say that reaching 3m is guaranteed and 4m+ a possibility. Let's see how it goes, I'm rooting for the best results possible.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

So BotW sold almost as much on Switch in one year as TP did LT sales on Wii? Wow, that's much better than I originally expected... well, much worse for TP to be exact, thought it would have reached closer to 10M

I think Twilight Princess on Wii is officially at 7.4m shipped. The GC version probably shipped at least 1.5m too, so it should be around 9m combined. You're not that far off of your 10m expectation.

As for Breath of the Wild, it shipped 6.7m by december. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed TP's shipments on Wii (7.4m) by the end of this quarter/month. Anyways, we'll know soon enough when Nintendo shows us some figures later in April. My personal expectation is 7.5m shipped on Switch.

Could you tell me which week in the first post includes Dec. 31, 2017? 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
LipeJJ said:

Sure. It's week 45, when it did about 125k.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sure. It's week 45, when it did about 125k.

Thanks.

Updated with weeks 49 and 50!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now over 3m ahead of Twilight Princess.

Only 2 more weeks to go guys! I'm already feeling nostalgic here. It's been a long and interesting run for me. I think I'll keep updating the thread whenever Nintendo gives us numbers on their meetings, since we're unfortunately already losing track of Twilight Princess weekly performance.

LipeJJ said:

Updated with weeks 49 and 50!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now over 3m ahead of Twilight Princess.

Only 2 more weeks to go guys! I'm already feeling nostalgic here. It's been a long and interesting run for me. I think I'll keep updating the thread whenever Nintendo gives us numbers on their meetings, since we're unfortunately already losing track of Twilight Princess weekly performance.

thanks so much for doing this. i have mostly just lurked but its been really fun to keep up on this thread :)

BOTW will indeed be the best selling Zelda. Rightly so. I still need to finish the DLC though .

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Updated with weeks 52 and 53!

I think this is it guys! This is our final update, the first year is officially over now.

Zelda: BotW (Switch) finished its first full year roughly ~3.2m ahead of Twilight Princess (Wii) on VGChartz, and only 300k from surpassing its total on VGC.

According to Nintendo, the Switch version shipped 8.5m on its first year, while the last figures we have for the Wii U version suggested it sold at least 1.5m to consumers by the December 31st. This makes a total of 10m for Breath of the Wild, which already is, excluding remasters and remakes, the best selling Zelda title to date.

Another interesting thing is that Twilight Princess sold "only" 60% of its lifetime sales on the first year. BotW is showing much better legs, so I won't be surprised if the ratio ends up being even better for it.

Thank you deeply for your support guys. I'll be doing another comparison thread soon, so stay tunned.

Last edited by LipeJJ - on 02 May 2018