By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter XX Coming to Nintendo Switch Japan! [Update: Aug 25th]

Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

At this point it's your word against mine. Others can just watch the video and see for themselves.

MHXX's production values are a joke, it would have been subpar a decade ago. It could be everthing it is now and look great. The only thing preventing this is Capcom's laziness. They will continue to do the bare minimum for as long as they can get away with it, and the result is inferior products like this.

Inferior products just because they haven't amazing graphics? Since when did you become such a graphic whore? And so irrational too, because you perfectly understand this is a good move, this is a great way to have a Monster Hunter game just few months after the console is released which is great for the console, if you were complaining about the next MH I would maybe understand it, but this one? Really?

Inferior because it could be so much better than it is, and it falls far short of the standards of both its time and its platform.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Inferior products just because they haven't amazing graphics? Since when did you become such a graphic whore? And so irrational too, because you perfectly understand this is a good move, this is a great way to have a Monster Hunter game just few months after the console is released which is great for the console, if you were complaining about the next MH I would maybe understand it, but this one? Really?

Inferior because it could be so much better than it is, and it falls far short of the standards of both its time and its platform.

You are transforming something which is by all means great news into a bad thing, is like you do it almost unconciusly.

Monster Hunter 5 will be vastly different to this, but for now this is perfectly fine and a great move for switch.

Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

You are transforming something which is by all means great news into a bad thing, is like you do it almost unconciusly.

Monster Hunter 5 will be vastly different to this, but for now this is perfectly fine and a great move for switch.

But we could've had an amazing Switch Monster Hunter here and now. This should have been that game. Instead we're being fobbed off with a cheap port.

curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

But we could've had an amazing Switch Monster Hunter here and now. This should have been that game. Instead we're being fobbed off with a cheap port.

Well they probably didn't want to wait too long.  It would have taken a lot of work if their development assets weren't of a high enough quality.  They would have to redo everything from the ground up.  Basically make a whole new game.  Scaling down is far, far easier than scaling up.

SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:

There isn't any torchlight being cast on Jaggi 1:21, and two players with torches are standing on the camera side of Jaggi yet the shadow isn't being cast away from their torches as it should, it remains unaffected.

Posting native 240p screens here on a computer doesn't necessarily echo what it looks like on 3DS, as due to differences in pixel density a 400x240 image here actually looks better than the game does on the 3DS.

For example, here's a 240p image of MH4:

On my screen, this appears smaller and therefore better than on my actual 3DS. This is closer to the size and therefore quality of the actual game:

You just scaled the image up from 400 x 240 to 500 x 300.   If you don't understand how resolutions, pixel density, screen size and scaling work, don't do it.   

Everything you just did supports Wyrdness.  Everybody sees you posting the crappiest, most compressed images you can find and ignoring the actual gameplay gifs being shown.  And then you scale an image because the physical size on your computer monitor doesn't match the physical screen size of your 3DS.

You lost this debate pages ago and you're still digging deeper. 

Gameplay gifs and 400x240 screens are basically bullshots in this context because their tiny size on PC screens makes the game look better than it actually does. Due to the higher pixel density of our screens, the image is much smaller, therefore the flaws that are obvious on the actual 3DS screen are hidden. As a result, making the picture 25% bigger as I have done here is more representative of its actual appearance on 3DS.

Around the Network

Hi, Monster Hunter XX looks like shit and needs a graphical update, but the game play will be fun. Will I buy another Monster Hunter game at this point? No, they need to update the fucking graphics for Switch, kthxbai.

SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:

Gameplay gifs and 400x240 screens are basically bullshots in this context because their tiny size on PC screens makes the game look better than it actually does. Due to the higher pixel density of our screens, the image is much smaller, therefore the flaws that are obvious on the actual 3DS screen are hidden. As a result, making the picture 25% bigger as I have done here is more representative of its actual appearance on 3DS.

While simultaneously introducing pixelation and scaling artifacts.

Given how low quality 240p is to begin with and the fact its only a 25% upscale, any detrimental effect is minimal. 

It looks closer to the real thing than tiny screens that conceal the flaws clearly visible on a 3DS screen.

dahuman said:
Hi, Monster Hunter XX looks like shit and needs a graphical update, but the game play will be fun. Will I buy another Monster Hunter game at this point? No, they need to update the fucking graphics for Switch, kthxbai.

Amen.

curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Except it looks really good for the hardware inside the tiny handheld, the machine has limitations, 3DS has never been comparable with ps3 or similar, so I don't know what is your point here at all, but, in any case, outside the obvious limitations on resolution MH looks definitely better than the average Dreamcast games and you gotta be blind to not see that. 

That was kinda my point; 3DS is just too limited to do the series justice. Whether its Nintendo's fault, or Capcom's, or both, the end result is that it just looks really horrible by modern standards.

Some say that Capcom never wanted to leave the PS2-low definition framework, so they just kept releasing the game on the same "engine" again and again on deprecated Nintendo consoles like Wii, Wii U and 3DS.

That's an easy way to make money.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
curl-6 said:

That was kinda my point; 3DS is just too limited to do the series justice. Whether its Nintendo's fault, or Capcom's, or both, the end result is that it just looks really horrible by modern standards.

Some say that Capcom never wanted to leave the PS2-low definition framework, so they just kept releasing the game on the same "engine" again and again on deprecated Nintendo consoles like Wii, Wii U and 3DS.

That seems to be the case; they'll do anything it seems to avoid making that generational leap above 6th gen tier graphics, and that's a real shame because the series deserves better.

curl-6 said:
0D0 said:

That seems to be the case; they'll do anything it seems to avoid making that generational leap above 6th gen tier graphics, and that's a real shame because the series deserves better.

It's a real idiotic move too.  They will throw a fortune at Resident Evil games despite the franchise's up and down nature but refuse to give big backing to the most consistently powerful franchise they own.