By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter XX Coming to Nintendo Switch Japan! [Update: Aug 25th]

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

There isn't any torchlight being cast on Jaggi 1:21, and two players with torches are standing on the camera side of Jaggi yet the shadow isn't being cast away from their torches as it should, it remains unaffected.

Posting native 240p screens here on a computer doesn't necessarily echo what it looks like on 3DS, as due to differences in pixel density a 400x240 image here actually looks better than the game does on the 3DS.

For example, here's a 240p image of MH4:

On my screen, this appears smaller and therefore better than on my actual 3DS. This is closer to the size and therefore quality of the actual game:

Light is being cast on the Jaggi in the same way it was on the player at 0:21, they're fighting it during day light where the effect is reduced. As for MH4:

Looks fine as well considering this is a game that released 4 years ago on a portable, 3 if we go by 4U.

From 1:20 they're inside a cave, and even in the shade the torches don't appear to dynamically affect shadows or cast light onto Jaggi.

I own MH4 and have spent many hours on it, but honestly its graphics are distractingly bad in my opinion. The some of the monsters look okay, but environmental textures, aliasing, and shadows are really, really poor.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Light is being cast onto the Jaggi particularly the top part and considering the size of the Jaggi it's not a big enough light source to shift the shadow and they're not fighting in a cave either like you think it's the nesting area hence the day light.

I have MH4 as well as all the other MH games, MH4 is a 4 year old game launching back in 2013 2 years into the 3DS' life but then in Generations where they'd optimized the game better the environments improved.

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

Light is being cast onto the Jaggi particularly the top part and considering the size of the Jaggi it's not a big enough light source to shift the shadow and they're not fighting in a cave either like you think it's the nesting area hence the day light.

I have MH4 as well as all the other MH games, MH4 is a 4 year old game launching back in 2013 2 years into the 3DS' life but then in Generations where they'd optimized the game better the environments improved.

The Jaggi nest is in a cave, there's just openings in the roof that allow pools of sun in. Having watched this clip over and over I'm still not seeing light cast onto the surroundings or light influencing shadowcasting.

I don't own Generations, but looking at images and video, I still feel the series just isn't being done justice by this calibre of graphics. I mean, how cool would it be to see a proper MH game for Switch? With beautiful environments and lifelike monsters? Wouldn't that just be awesome?

curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

The Jaggi nest is in a cave, there's just openings in the roof that allow pools of sun in. Having watched this clip over and over I'm still not seeing light cast onto the surroundings or light influencing shadowcasting.

I don't own Generations, but looking at images and video, I still feel the series just isn't being done justice by this calibre of graphics. I mean, how cool would it be to see a proper MH game for Switch? With beautiful environments and lifelike monsters? Wouldn't that just be awesome?

Not seeing it or refusing to see it for the sake of your argument? Either way it doesn't change that the light is being cast onto it, the nest is also not a cave area as a significant amount of sun light is let in and your whole Shemue notion has been debunked.

I doubt you really follow the series that much tbh because avid fans aren't looking for graphical show pieces they're looking for other elements and mechanics to make the hunting more fun this is why all console versions of MH with the exception of Tri have flopped because it was never about the graphics to begin with. Players want interesting mechanics and monsters rather than that want an example look at MHO and MHF they're graphically the best but have the least exposure because that's not what players are looking for.

Wyrdness said:

Not seeing it or refusing to see it for the sake of your argument? Either way it doesn't change that the light is being cast onto it, the nest is also not a cave area as a significant amount of sun light is let in and your whole Shemue notion has been debunked.

I doubt you really follow the series that much tbh because avid fans aren't looking for graphical show pieces they're looking for other elements and mechanics to make the hunting more fun this is why all console versions of MH with the exception of Tri have flopped because it was never about the graphics to begin with. Players want interesting mechanics and monsters rather than that want an example look at MHO and MHF they're graphically the best but have the least exposure because that's not what players are looking for.

Not seeing it because it isn't there.

And come on, we've gone this far in a civil manner, let's keep it that way, shall we?

Decent production values do not preclude interesting monsters and mechanics. You can have both, and Monster Hunter should have both. Instead it is being held back by its poor presentation. Switch can provide a MH game that has all the advantages of the series, plus looks gorgeous. Instead we're being sold a sub-par product because Capcom are lazy.

As a gamer, don't you want a better game?

Around the Network

We have known for over 6 years that 3DS produces visuals around 6th gen consoles (DC/PS2/GC), why is this argument happening?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
We have known for over 6 years that 3DS produces visuals around 6th gen consoles (DC/PS2/GC), why is this argument happening?

Because a 3DS game was ported to an HD console and some people balked that it's a 3DS game in HD.

curl-6 said:

And come on, we've gone this far in a civil manner, let's keep it that way, shall we?

Decent production values do not preclude interesting monsters and mechanics. You can have both, and Monster Hunter should have both. Instead it is being held back by its poor presentation. Switch can provide a MH game that has all the advantages of the series, plus looks gorgeous. Instead we're being sold a sub-par product because Capcom are lazy.

You're not seeing it because you don't want to maybe for the sake of your argument who knows much like when you claimed it doesn't cast light onto the player which was also untrue.

Believe me things are civil I'm just relaying an observation, for one MHXX is not subpar in fact it has really good production value to the point that the best attempt you could find to try and back your notion was the top DC game which even then still doesn't match everything that MH does not to mention the is no chance in hell of this notion trying to compare any game that is similar to MH's approach as they don't even come close to MH in any department with games like PSO being miles below what the former does. Now you're going on about the Switch version of MHXX which if you want to go down that path I'll highlight the flaws there as well as earlier you backed away from discussing the Switch version.

A better game doesn't mean flash graphical approach not all games aim for that and ironically the people who often go on about this with MH often turn out to be the players who don't follow the series that much, MH rather than going for that instead looks to add online play, cross platform play, lan like features etc... Most MH players talk about having a game with all the hunting terrains in one game (under water, climbing etc...) and new type of hunting terrains, weapon types rather than huge graphical presentation and even then the presentation in MHXX Switch is fine.

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

You're not seeing it because you don't want to maybe for the sake of your argument who knows much like when you claimed it doesn't cast light onto the player which was also untrue.

Believe me things are civil I'm just relaying an observation, for one MHXX is not subpar in fact it has really good production value to the point that the best attempt you could find to try and back your notion was the top DC game which even then still doesn't match everything that MH does not to mention the is no chance in hell of this notion trying to compare any game that is similar to MH's approach as they don't even come close to MH in any department with games like PSO being miles below what the former does. Now you're going on about the Switch version of MHXX which if you want to go down that path I'll highlight the flaws there as well as earlier you backed away from discussing the Switch version.

A better game doesn't mean flash graphical approach not all games aim for that and ironically the people who often go on about this with MH often turn out to be the players who don't follow the series that much, MH rather than going for that instead looks to add online play, cross platform play, lan like features etc... Most MH players talk about having a game with all the hunting terrains in one game (under water, climbing etc...) and new type of hunting terrains, weapon types rather than huge graphical presentation and even then the presentation in MHXX Switch is fine.

At this point it's your word against mine. Others can just watch the video and see for themselves.

MHXX's production values would have been subpar a decade ago. It could be everthing it is now and look great. The only thing preventing this is Capcom's laziness. They will continue to do the bare minimum for as long as they can get away with it, and the result is inferior products like this.

curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

At this point it's your word against mine. Others can just watch the video and see for themselves.

MHXX's production values are a joke, it would have been subpar a decade ago. It could be everthing it is now and look great. The only thing preventing this is Capcom's laziness. They will continue to do the bare minimum for as long as they can get away with it, and the result is inferior products like this.

Inferior products just because they haven't amazing graphics? Since when did you become such a graphic whore? And so irrational too, because you perfectly understand this is a good move, this is a great way to have a Monster Hunter game just few months after the console is released which is great for the console, if this was MH5 then I would uinderstand those complains, but this one? Really?