By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Switch will sell over 100 million units

Tagged games:

xl-klaudkil said:
Its already behind ps4.....(ps4 sold 1mil in 24h in uaa alone)

100?mill.
Nah.
50-80 maybe

Why did you turn this into a comparison to PS4? FFS.

Switch had a more successful sales launch month than Wii. Wii sold 102 million units. Easily pass 50 million. If it stopped at 80 mill I would not be surprised but also would nto be surprised if it hits 100.

Around the Network
HokageTenshi said:
i really don't think so unless it included every new SKU they release in future

Why shouldn't other SKUs be included? Are PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim counted seperate from the original PS4?

Soundwave said:
HokageTenshi said:
i really don't think so unless it included every new SKU they release in future

Why shouldn't other SKUs be included? Are PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim counted seperate from the original PS4?

then it might be possible because i think it will keep on releasing new SKU every 3 years

HokageTenshi said:

then it might be possible because i think it will keep on releasing new SKU every 3 years

Eh... if you're talking about a more powerful Switch releasing every 3 years, iterative instead of generational, then that'd make all predictions so far pretty pointless.

In the case that the Switch's life resembles a traditional generation I'd definitely say it won't reach 100m.

Barkley said:

HokageTenshi said:

Eh... if you're talking about a more powerful Switch releasing every 3 years, iterative instead of generational, then that'd make all predictions so far pretty pointless.

In the case that the Switch's life resembles a traditional generation I'd definitely say it won't reach 100m.

that's why i say i don't think so in previous post

Around the Network
Barkley said:

HokageTenshi said:

I think that's exactly what will happen. Why should Switch adhere to the archaic old setup ... it's mobile technology, not only that it's standardized mobile chips ... Nvidia could give them something incredible in 3-4 years and it would boost hardware sales and consumers ultimately by and large IMO would not complain. 

People expect it from mobile products, but even on console, PS4 Pro has been accepted without much fuss and Scorpio will be too. If PS4 and XBox One have significant mid-gen refreshes, it's pretty much a given the Switch will as such refreshes make much more sense for a portable tablet form-factor device. 

Also to me this is an unfair double standard ... why can't the Switch have a mid-gen upgrade when both the PS4 and XBox One get one and no one is saying those shouldn't count? 

Soundwave said:

I think that's exactly what will happen. Why should Switch adhere to the archaic old setup ... it's mobile technology, not only that it's standardized mobile chips ... Nvidia could give them something incredible in 3-4 years.

Well that's what I think will happen, I expect a more powerful Switch to be released within 4-5 years, and if people don't view that as a successor then 100m is not a bold prediction.

It is not impossible, the hype is there!

We need more games. pokemon, luigi mansion, Metroid, donkey, and all Nintendo IPs on it!

Switch!!!

Anfebious said:

What you read on the title.

My reasons:

1) Long term support, Nintendo declared the switch is going to have a long life cycle!  After cutting the Wii short (bad decision!) Nintendo learned their lesson, the switch is going to sell for a long time.

2) No software droughts. Having all teams developing games for the same console means more videogames. With proper spacing Nintendo will never suffer droughts ever again.

3) AA games/indies. The Switch is experiencing a burst of AA and indie games. This trend is going to be more notorious the more time passes on, Vita and 3DS games (AA games or whatever you want to call them) are going to be heading to the Switch.

4) Cartdriges. Belive it or not using cartdriges is a big deal, people like the format. It encourages people to buy physical games. The only downside is that Indies aren't willing to put their games on cartdriges, such a shame.

5) Secret Sauce. As with every other Nintendo console, the Switch has some awesome secret sauce that is yet to be revealed by Nintendo. The potential for this secret sauce is amazing, we don't know what it is but it could certainly make the console explode into the stratosphere (like the DS!). I bet it has something to do with the online account but... who knows?

Time limit: Switch is discontinued.

1) Maybe.... but I think Nintendo does a Switch 2, soon as PlayStation 5 / Xbox Two launch.

2) Early few years Nintendo is usually good about supporting their consoles, too early to tell. So far its basically still a Zelda box.

3) They do add another 5-10$ ontop of price for games, but I agree people like cartdriges.

5) No secret sauce... but hopefully if it does really well, it gets lots of 3rd party JRPGs.

I dont think 100m is possible.

Nintendo again made a design issue that keeps prices too high.

The "HD rumble" or whatever, its the "expensive gamepad" of this gen.

They could have cut features and launched at 199$, instead of 299$.

If they stick with 299$ throughout 2017, it wont do well in the holidays, vs a 199$ PS4 & XB1.

Barkley said:
Soundwave said:

I think that's exactly what will happen. Why should Switch adhere to the archaic old setup ... it's mobile technology, not only that it's standardized mobile chips ... Nvidia could give them something incredible in 3-4 years.

Well that's what I think will happen, I expect a more powerful Switch to be released within 4-5 years, and if people don't view that as a successor then 100m is not a bold prediction.

Try 3-4 years IMO, and it won't be a successor or anything. Just a new member of the family. 

Nintendo's new setup will be a higher cost portable model and a lower cost model. Right now that is occupied by the Switch and 3DS. 

In a few years, 3DS will be gone, Switch will move down to occupy that part of the market (cheaper) and a new Switch Pro type model will occupy the $300 price point again (higher profit margin for Nintendo). 

That will be the new Nintendo cycle IMO, and games will be broadly compatible with all Switch devices in most cases. It will become an ecosystem, not just one singular system. Just as iPhone is and iPad is.