By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Switch will sell over 100 million units

Tagged games:

SegataSanshiro said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Its already behind ps4.....(ps4 sold 1mil in 24h in uaa alone)

100?mill.
Nah.
50-80 maybe

Why did you turn this into a comparison to PS4? FFS.

Switch had a more successful sales launch month than Wii. Wii sold 102 million units. Easily pass 50 million. If it stopped at 80 mill I would not be surprised but also would nto be surprised if it hits 100.

Give some credit to Wii, it launched along side the much hyped and more expensive PS3, Switch Launched without any competition and with Zelda.. and i doubt that, the demographic that made wii a phenomena will be interested in switch as multiplayer gaming on smart phones tablets in 2006 were non exisitent  

Around the Network
TheWPCTraveler said:
I'm going to tag this just to remind myself that I forgot to give you a large repository of jazz arranges of Touhou music.

I do agree with the premise, though I anticipate that if the Switch is too successful, Sony will come out with a counter to it.

Still waiting on that one.

You can bet your ass that Sony will counter the Switch. But it won't come out at least until a couple of years down the road.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

If tbone51 thinks it can sell 100 million then ill believe it. Somehow he is always right.

Shadow1980 said:
Anfebious said:

Nintendo would have benefited a lot more in supporting the Wii rather than releasing the Wii U.

It's easy to say that now. Hindsight is always 20/20. Predictions for the Wii U were all over the place in the months prior to launch. Some expressed pessimism, others optimism. But regardless of the predictions, Nintendo absolutely under no uncertain terms had to release a new console at some point, and the rate the Wii was declining meant they couldn't put off the Wii U by two or three more years. Nintendo had already invested heavily in the Wii U. The more or less final design was unveiled at E3 2011. Much of their software development efforts were starting to shift to the newer system, because that's what happens for all first-party development. Nintendo's support for the NES diminished massively after the SNES was released, and same for the SNES once the N64 was released. Nintendo stopped releasing games for the N64 before the GameCube was even released. Twilight Princess was the last game Nintendo released for the GC. Of course Nintendo wasn't going to continue to invest heavily in the Wii in the long run.

It sucks that the Wii U flopped. But the realities of console development are what they are, and the Wii U had to come out when it did.

They Wii could have sold so much more... The only good thing about the Wii U is that the Switch was made afterwards, you could say that they used the gamepad for inspiration to develop the switch.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

JRPGfan said:
Anfebious said:

What you read on the title.

My reasons:

1) Long term support, Nintendo declared the switch is going to have a long life cycle!  After cutting the Wii short (bad decision!) Nintendo learned their lesson, the switch is going to sell for a long time.

2) No software droughts. Having all teams developing games for the same console means more videogames. With proper spacing Nintendo will never suffer droughts ever again.

3) AA games/indies. The Switch is experiencing a burst of AA and indie games. This trend is going to be more notorious the more time passes on, Vita and 3DS games (AA games or whatever you want to call them) are going to be heading to the Switch.

4) Cartdriges. Belive it or not using cartdriges is a big deal, people like the format. It encourages people to buy physical games. The only downside is that Indies aren't willing to put their games on cartdriges, such a shame.

5) Secret Sauce. As with every other Nintendo console, the Switch has some awesome secret sauce that is yet to be revealed by Nintendo. The potential for this secret sauce is amazing, we don't know what it is but it could certainly make the console explode into the stratosphere (like the DS!). I bet it has something to do with the online account but... who knows?

Time limit: Switch is discontinued.

1) Maybe.... but I think Nintendo does a Switch 2, soon as PlayStation 5 / Xbox Two launch.

2) Early few years Nintendo is usually good about supporting their consoles, too early to tell. So far its basically still a Zelda box.

3) They do add another 5-10$ ontop of price for games, but I agree people like cartdriges.

5) No secret sauce... but hopefully if it does really well, it gets lots of 3rd party JRPGs.

I dont think 100m is possible.

Nintendo again made a design issue that keeps prices too high.

The "HD rumble" or whatever, its the "expensive gamepad" of this gen.

They could have cut features and launched at 199$, instead of 299$.

If they stick with 299$ throughout 2017, it wont do well in the holidays, vs a 199$ PS4 & XB1.

1) Nintendo doesn't need to react to what the other guys are doing. In fact it's the other way around, I expect Sony to copy the Switch.

2) So you are taking the wait and see approach. Ok, wait and see then.

4) It is going to have it. By secret sauce I mean a feature that wasn't revealed yet.

The Switch is doing amazing numbers are 300$, so why d you think the price is an issue? They shouldn't rush the price cut, this is not the same situation as the 3DS.

Around the Network

100 m is 210k per week during 4 years. It is way too much, I still go with my 70-80 million.

j.thomaz said:
100 m is 210k per week during 4 years. It is way too much, I still go with my 70-80 million.

It's actually 480k per week for 4 years.

If Ninty does most things right, why not?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Lawlight said:
j.thomaz said:

It's actually 480k per week for 4 years.

Right I'm probably drunk

Nah. I'm guessing at best it'll be on par with the 3DS, so 60M-70M. Still damn good numbers. Even if the appeal of the Switch doesn't last for as long as we expect, I still think it's guaranteed to pass 20M.