By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Switch will sell over 100 million units

Tagged games:

leo-j said:
I have my doubts it'll hit 30 million

lol jesus people, the switch is a handheld, it will get pokemon, it will probably sell the same amount as the 3DS.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network

Doubtful. I hear there are a bajillion Switches in stock in Norway and we all know how important Nordic markets are. Without the Switch selling out there I can hardly hope for it to pass 20 million WW. Scary times ahead.

Nope not even close

VGPolyglot said:
p0isonparadise said:
Back in March my prediction was 90-100 million, but in recent weeks I've been feeling pretty ballsy for the Switch.

I believe Switch will sell 125-135 million by the end of 2024.

So, that'd equal around 15.625m to 16.875m per year.

Sounds reasonable to me; maybe a little too high. 3DS did over 13 million 3 years in a row (until it got every major handheld franchise at least once). The Switch has been better received already, at a higher price, than the 3DS, and since it shares the home console library, it can get more games and have a bigger peak.

Only problem is I doubt the Switch will be supported that long. That would be almost 8 years. 

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

VGPolyglot said:
leo-j said:
I have my doubts it'll hit 30 million

What's your reasoning for that? All of the main Nintendo handhelds have sold more than that.

His reasoning is that he doesn't understand it and Mario Kart isn't as fun as he thought, so no one else will like it either.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Doubtful. I hear there are a bajillion Switches in stock in Norway and we all know how important Nordic markets are. Without the Switch selling out there I can hardly hope for it to pass 20 million WW. Scary times ahead.

Well I visited my EB games right next to my house and they're out of stock. So the Switch will clearly sell 200 billion units.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
VGPolyglot said:

So, that'd equal around 15.625m to 16.875m per year.

Sounds reasonable to me; maybe a little too high. 3DS did over 13 million 3 years in a row (until it got every major handheld franchise at least once). The Switch has been better received already, at a higher price, than the 3DS, and since it shares the home console library, it can get more games and have a bigger peak.

Only problem is I doubt the Switch will be supported that long. That would be almost 8 years. 

The 3DS did over 13M in 2 years only - 1st and 2nd year. I'm talking calendar year.

Nintendo will sell 40-50+ million of current Switch (plus some variations) 2017-2022, and then another 40-50+ million of Switch Pro around 2020-2025. And there will be other models like a console-only Switch microconsole, a smaller version of Switch, etc. Some numbers may vary there, but that's the basic idea I can see happening.

So extremely hard to guess. It's best mans guess. It has to hit a zeitgeist, in order to ship that amount of units. Don't think 100 million is realistic.

i really don't think so unless it included every new SKU they release in future