By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When Does Shovel Knight Get Good?

I bought this game on my Switch because it had great reviews and I'm a sucker for NES era games ... but I'm just not feeling this for whatever reason. I mean it's ok, but the gameplay to me hasn't seemed particularily ... great so far. And it doesn't quite have the same charm as NES games do. It feels like going to that kid's house who didn't have a NES in the 80s/early 90s but had his dad's work PC which had like a weird approximation of an NES game, lol. 

Is it worth giving this game another shot? I've gotten good playtime out of Fast RMX and NBA Playgrounds, but this one just isn't clicking with me. Am I alone on this?

Around the Network

Depends on how far you're in it.

Barozi said:
Depends on how far you're in it.

I beat the first boss or whatever and am now into the second world. I get that they're trying to be a bit like Megaman meets Castlevania or whatever, but I'm not feeling the game in terms of its charm either. Levels are way too long and level design isn't great IMO. 

Game was meh to me as well. I beat the first few stages and just stopped. I just could not get into it.

Same, I have around 10 hours play time before stopping. Worst 25€ I've spent on my Switch

PS4: Tryklon  Steam: Tryklon

Switch: 0307-6588-7010 | New 2DS XL: 2037-2612-6964

MacBook Air (Mid 2017) | iPhone SE | Apple Watch Series 3

Around the Network

It never got good for me, Shovel Knight from beginning to end felt like a nostalgia cash-in where all you do is hold down to win, so yeah...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

It gets good the second you start it.

It stays like that. You get more abilities and items, and of course each stage is different from one another, but what you've seen so far is largely what that game is all about.

Specter of Torment is way better.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

If you love NES games, get your hands on Blaster Master Zero. Great game!