By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Thread: Tekken 7 [Fated Retribution] Geese is on the way!

Lag comparison between wireless PS4 Pro, and wired PC gaming.

Around the Network

I've been playing a lot of Tekken recently. Not a fan of rage arts at all. They get so BORING to watch after a while as well. Keep the shitty gimmicks for the inferior fighting games.

Loving this game, but I wish it had a tutorial. Something like Guilty Gear Xrd's. I have played Tekken from the first game to 5 and skipped out on 6 and Tag 2. But I've never been any good. Now that I can take it online, I want to actually get the mechanics down, but the tutorial is nowhere to be seen. And the arcade mode has no ending videos and everyone is unlocked(edit) right away so the motivation to try everyone else is gone. And no standards like time attack, survival (well there is treasure hunt mode) are available?

The fighting feels so good, but I am wishing this was built for more than the hardcore, competitive tekken player. All the tekkens I ever owned also had content in spades. In this case, I really would pay 40 bucks in 8 months after release for an "Ultra" version.

danasider said:

Loving this game, but I wish it had a tutorial. Something like Guilty Gear Xrd's. I have played Tekken from the first game to 5 and skipped out on 6 and Tag 2. But I've never been any good. Now that I can take it online, I want to actually get the mechanics down, but the tutorial is nowhere to be seen. And the arcade mode has no ending videos and everyone is unlocked(edit) right away so the motivation to try everyone else is gone. And no standards like time attack, survival (well there is treasure hunt mode) are available?

The fighting feels so good, but I am wishing this was built for more than the hardcore, competitive tekken player. All the tekkens I ever owned also had content in spades. In this case, I really would pay 40 bucks in 8 months after release for an "Ultra" version.

I outlined a lot of really basic things in the introduction.  If you're looking to get good, though, you always need to get in fresh.  If you're looking to get a fighting game a year down the road, after everyone's learned the game, you're going to have nothing but problems, trying to learn the game so late in its life.

Word of advice.  Defense is extremely important.  Notice I say defense, and not blocking.  Not all attacks, can be block, and just because they can be blocked, doesn't mean you should block them.  If a lot attack is safe, you don't block it, you parry it.  If there's a low attack in a string, you deal with that low attack, because chances are, the next, or the last attack is safe.

Don't mash buttons when you're negative  Don't press buttons against paul's pheonix smasher.  You will take additional damage if you crouch, trade, or press a button while he's doing that attack.

You're not going to suddenly get good at tekken in a month, or two.  There are so many strings in Tekken that you need to get used to seeing.  Some strings have been around since Tekken 1. 

You need to be able to recognize lows, and read body language.  If the character seems to be moving in a particular motion, such as a  hit that's a low, block low, if it looks like they're going for a high attack, duck.  Never block high attacks that you know are coming in tekken.  You always duck under them.

I was trolling a Hwoarang player.  A good one, with a high rank than me, (because what fun is it to troll someone who doesn't know the game, anyone can do that.)  What I want you to remember is that you have to keep a sharp eye out for things.  Now, when I start playing seriously, you'll see me defending.  Am I blocking everything?  No.  But, you literally have about 12 frames to react to what's going on for MOST attacks, anything less is basically unseeable, and you can only react to it based on prediction, so you have to pay attention to how your enemy moves.

Finally, a good player never stays in the same spot.  Your feet should always be moving in and out of the opponent's range, to make them whiff.  You cannot block while you're in an attack state, or while in mid-air, or on the ground, so after the active frames of an attack, ALWAYS comes recovery. During a whiff, you always attack during the recovery.  Every attack in the game has a startup, active, and recovery frames.

It's your job to figure out how to deal with the attacks except for the attacks with the white sparkle effects, everything can be sidestepped.  But you cannot sidestep into the limb that's doing the attack.  So, if I'm facing you, and attacking you with my right hand, you must side-step to your right, not your left, and vice versa.

And, as far as the rage mode is concerned.... I do not use rage drives.  They are safe combo extenders, yes, but rage-mode itself already gives you a damage boost.  Personally, I'd take that over the one-shot chance of a rage drive.  As for rage arts, they're good to combo into, if by doing so, will end the match, otherwise, I activate it to absorb an attack to ensure it will hit.  Never use rage arts as a panic move.  You will more than likely lose.  That's why you don't see me use rage arts or rage drives in the video above.  Just figured it would be necessary to mention that.  Wouldn't have been too smart with Hwoarang kicking like that, after I'd already given him two rounds anyway.

If he blocked, I was without rage mode, and probably would have died after one combo.  If I'd hit, I would have still been without rage, nor the element of surprise (he knew I was in rage mode), and still had to make a comback.

Burning Typhoon said:

I outlined a lot of really basic things in the introduction.

You could have saved yourself some time and just told him to use Nina or Eddy.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Burning Typhoon said:

I outlined a lot of really basic things in the introduction.

Nina is really difficult, and not a beginner friendly character at all.. Eddy is not very good, and to use effectively, has an extremely high learning curve.  I wouldn't suggest either to anyone.  You use those characters because you want to.

Burning Typhoon said:
sethnintendo said:

Nina is really difficult, and not a beginner friendly character at all.. Eddy is not very good, and to use effectively, has an extremely high learning curve.  I wouldn't suggest either to anyone.  You use those characters because you want to.

I wouldn't say Nina is difficult.  Granted she was my favorite character from 1 and 2.  Those were the only two games I played till a few years back I played Tag 2 on friends PS3.  Maybe they weren't that good but I had to stop picking Nina because I was kicking their asses with her.  Her punch and kicks are so fast compared to other fighters.  As for Eddy he isn't the best but in Tag 2 you could button smash and put him in and endless combo loop with ease.  I see they changed things up with series since then but I highly doubt they nerfed Nina.

Burning Typhoon said:
sethnintendo said:

Actually Nina is not really difficult to use at all. Her strongs connect veyr easily. It is just that her advanced combos and movments are hard to master witha ll of her cancels. In this game Eddy is actually a lot better than what he was before. Neither one of them are difficult to learn or use. It is just that thier advanced movments are not as easy. But you can still eb very good with either of them without that though.

sethnintendo said:
Burning Typhoon said:

I wouldn't say Nina is difficult.  Granted she was my favorite character from 1 and 2.  Those were the only two games I played till a few years back I played Tag 2 on friends PS3.  Maybe they weren't that good but I had to stop picking Nina because I was kicking their asses with her.  Her punch and kicks are so fast compared to other fighters.  As for Eddy he isn't the best but in Tag 2 you could button smash and put him in and endless combo loop with ease.  I see they changed things up with series since then but I highly doubt they nerfed Nina.

Yeah Nina used to be a lot faster compared to other characters and somewhat still is but she is definitely nerfed in this game compared to before. it is a lot more balanced now. While still a good chracter she is no longer the over bearing character she once was.  As for Eddy those endless strongs would get you nowhere with people that are even remotely decent at the game. So button mashing is never really a good option lol.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

sethnintendo said:
Burning Typhoon said:

Nina has difficult dash cancels in her combos.  If you're questioning you're skill level, I have no doubt that you were not doing them.  You couldn't mash buttons as eddy, because the moment you go for a low kick, you're getting blocked.  Eddy has been around since tekken 3, anyone who has any sort of skill knows how to block against him.

If you want to put that nina to the test, or any of your statements, you're welcome to give it a try, I have the game on PS4 and PC.

And that goes for you too, @ black naruto.  I know eddy's strings don't connect anymore.  Some of his natural combos from previous games aren't natural anymore.  He was nerfed.  Lars was nerfed too.  So was Bob.  Much easier time handing them.

Burning Typhoon said:
sethnintendo said:

Nina has difficult dash cancels in her combos.  If you're questioning you're skill level, I have no doubt that you were not doing them.  You couldn't mash buttons as eddy, because the moment you go for a low kick, you're getting blocked.  Eddy has been around since tekken 3, anyone who has any sort of skill knows how to block against him.

If you want to put that nina to the test, or any of your statements, you're welcome to give it a try, I have the game on PS4 and PC.

And that goes for you too, @ black naruto.  I know eddy's strings don't connect anymore.  Some of his natural combos from previous games aren't natural anymore.  He was nerfed.  Lars was nerfed too.  So was Bob.  Much easier time handing them.

Huh? What goes for me too lol?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23