By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS4 pass the 3DS in total sales this year?

Will it?

Yes 158 77.07%

No 47 22.93%

Total:205

With the Switch eating into the 3DS' marketshare, yeah. The 3DS still has a few decent hitters but nothing to keep it ahead of the PS4 for long

Around the Network

By end of November max it will. Won't be surprised if it did earlier unless the 2DS XL really kicks off

Qwark said:
The only way it doesn't is when pokemon stars is an exclusive bundled with the 2DSXL for €150-. And PS4 only sells 15 million units this year. The latter I can see happening, considering PS4 is down yoy even though it had plentry of big releases. But the first prediction seems very unlikely.

Where is it down YOY?  We know it's slightly up in the US and it is up YOY in Japan.  So, where is it down so much it would negate those and cause it do be down by 5M units.

Without a doubt.

BraLoD said:
Without a doubt.

LOL we had the same thought!

Around the Network

unknown. the 3DS is not selling that badly, if when the 2DS XL launches in the summer 3DS total sales get a big bump all through summer/Fall, then who knows.

Given Switch cutting into the 3DS you'd expect the PS4 to fly past the 3DS by the end of the year but I honestly don't know.

It really depends on how how the 2DS XL is and how much Nintendo stocks it.

Last December the 3DS was doing quite well and was sold out like everywhere. In fact until a few months ago it was hard to find in stores (not sure if that is still the case). Suggesting demand but sometime supply isses. So we'll see 

mountaindewslave said:

unknown. the 3DS is not selling that badly, if when the 2DS XL launches in the summer 3DS total sales get a big bump all through summer/Fall, then who knows.

Given Switch cutting into the 3DS you'd expect the PS4 to fly past the 3DS by the end of the year but I honestly don't know.

It really depends on how how the 2DS XL is and how much Nintendo stocks it.

Last December the 3DS was doing quite well and was sold out like everywhere. In fact until a few months ago it was hard to find in stores (not sure if that is still the case). Suggesting demand but sometime supply isses. So we'll see 

From research, Nintendo started to gradually restock some models in mid April in the USA ( the interesting is that this coincides with VGC 3DS weekly sales continuous rise there... )

Black and Galaxy style New 3ds xl along with MK7 2DS have no longer the prompt ''check in store'' in Gamestop/Bestbuy eshops, Amazon / Walmart still selling from third parties, as for target I haven't checked.

The only time that Nintendo shipped 3DS normally between Jan-march was the last days of february and some of March in first week by releasing New 3ds xl Pikachu edition that sold out quickly ( 3DS sales were up 77% mom in February with one day of NEW 3DSXL Pikachu Edition... )

tak13 said:

The only time that Nintendo shipped 3DS normally between Jan-march was the last days of february and some of March in first week by releasing New 3ds xl Pikachu edition that sold out quickly ( 3DS sales were up 77% mom in February with one day of NEW 3DSXL Pikachu Edition... )

3DS was down month over month in Feb according to VGC, from 359k in Jan to 271k in Feb.

Also this Feb and March were the lowest Feb/March for 3DS since its launch.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2011&end_year=2017&console=3DS

thismeintiel said:
Qwark said:
The only way it doesn't is when pokemon stars is an exclusive bundled with the 2DSXL for €150-. And PS4 only sells 15 million units this year. The latter I can see happening, considering PS4 is down yoy even though it had plentry of big releases. But the first prediction seems very unlikely.

Where is it down YOY?  We know it's slightly up in the US and it is up YOY in Japan.  So, where is it down so much it would negate those and cause it do be down by 5M units.

From Vgchartz Figures last year by now PS4 had around 3.37m sales. This year it currently has 3.42m sales.

So no it's not down YoY, it's pretty much flat according to VGC anyway.

curl-6 said:
tak13 said:

3DS was down month over month in Feb according to VGC, from 359k in Jan to 271k in Feb.

Also this Feb and March were the lowest Feb/March for 3DS since its launch.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2011&end_year=2017&console=3DS

I omitted to cite  that I'm talking about the USA...http://nintendoeverything.com/february-2017-npd-3ds-unit-sales-up-77-percent-from-last-month/

Vgc missed that, because they didn't know at all about the release of Pikachu New 3ds xl release there,  they haven't fixed the number for the last week of february yet...

Also this feb and March were the lowest... BLAH BLAH! Of course they are, what would you expect from something that sold out on holidays in the west and has supply issues since then ( at least till mid april for the USA ! )

I have exhausted that topic,  you're tiring me!

https://www.google.gr/#q=3ds+sold+out&spf=1494547115253

Look how yoy up was in holidays, it would suddenly be so yoy down in the following fiscal year quarter if it it had sufficient stock? No...