By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Polygon: The Nintendo Switch has become the system people love to love

Platina said:
A nice read, definitely will get one eventually, though it's just the price that is mainly holding me back

Yeah, $400 is quite a bit, and I'd prefer to get a Pro Controller and a few games too when I get one!

Around the Network
Areym said:
"I have yet to hear many players complain that the Switch is underpowered. I have heard an overwhelming number say how cool it is to take Mario Kart on the literal road"

...Couldn't you do that on the 3DS already?

What I find interesting is how people are praising a games released on the WiiU as if something has changed with Nintendo.   In other words, Nintendo still makes the same games on the same platforms but the only difference is the hardware.  I have bought pretty much every piece of Nintendo system to come out so this rediscovery by switch players with WiiU games just makes me smile.  Its like they all wake up and found out that Nintendo is still the company they always have been and probably will always be as they care their own path to success.

It is so nice to see the Switch doing well. The mobile market is an absolute joke right now with all of these useless touch limited devices. I am so glad Nintendo is fighting back and offering a super functional form factor mobile device. Hopefully, they will open this things OS up in the future, apps would be great, and I still really want a Switch Phone at some point.

I knew people were going to love this because I have been doing this with my Vita and PS4 for 3 1/2 years now. Having the ability to play current AAA games anywhere you are is extreamly pleasing. Hopefully, this will push Sony and Microsoft to get mobile versions of the PS4 and XBO to the market in once 7nm fabrication makes that kind of power possible in a mobile.

I would love to see Switch signal a change in the times, and a move away from Android and iOS. Apple and Google have been the worst market leaders I have seen in my 25 years following mobile tech. The complete lack of innovation and variety over the last decade and even more so in the last 5 years since they really locked down the market, are about as sad of an event as I have ever seen in technology. Hopefully a potion of the industry can swing back in favor of companies that turn profits into new exciting eye opening tech.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Yet I still have almost no interest in getting one anytime soon. Maybe in about a year or so. It's a great system and clearly is going to get a lot of great games from Nintendo at the very least, but I just don't see any reason to get one at this point.

I would totally buy one if I could find it ¯_(ツ)_/¯

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Positive article by Ben Cockroach?

I still love my Wii U. Makes absolutely no difference in the grand scheme.

NintendoPie said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

If The Switch goes on to win the 9th generation, or for that fact, seriously compete, we all just need to accept that Nintendo is the greatest gaming company of all time. For a company to be able to reinvent itself and come back from death over and over again, it's just unheard of.

Doubtful. Expect made-up excuses for success and some previously unknown group of people that Nintendo tapped into that they'll "never be able to get back, anyway."

I get your point, but their gaining then losing 150m customers in 1 generation certainly wasn't typical :p 

It's silly for someone to say those markets can't be tabbed again though. They've not disappeared, just moved. All it would take to bring them "back" is a product that appeals to them. I'm sceptical that the Switch will be that system (so far its success seems about what i'd expect from a combination of Nintendo's traditional home and handheld market appeal), but it's certainly not impossible.

For some reason Sony's losses in that shift aren't discussed much either. Both Nintendo's presence in the home console market and Sony's in the handheld market were effectively wiped out in a single generation, and little of those huge losses translating in gains for their competition. That's pretty nuts.

I don't get the love for it. It feels like Nintendo dropped another generation behind.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Zekkyou said:

I get your point, but their gaining then losing 150m customers in 1 generation certainly wasn't typical :p 

It's silly for someone to say those markets can't be tabbed again though. They've not disappeared, just moved. All it would take to bring them "back" is a product that appeals to them. I'm sceptical that the Switch will be that system (so far its success seems about what i'd expect from a combination of Nintendo's traditional home and handheld market appeal), but it's certainly not impossible.

For some reason Sony's losses in that shift aren't discussed much either. Both Nintendo's presence in the home console market and Sony's in the handheld market were effectively wiped out in a single generation, and little of those huge losses translating in gains for their competition. That's pretty nuts.

C'mon, they lost more like 180 million customers. Endless downplaying of Nintendo around here.

On a more serious note, I realize that they did indeed "lose" those customers and I do pretty much agree with everything you said. What I was mainly using that point for, though, is that people use that as a remark to actually downplay success. Just because Nintendo was able to find a blue ocean but couldn't find it another time (because of their piss-poor execution and overall stupidity) doesn't mean that the first time they found it was any less of a major success, which is what people always seem to try to make it be.