By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo has a realistic shot at returning to #1 this fiscal year - RESULT: Nintendo back on top (21.45m), Sony second (19m+)

Which company will sell the most consoles in the fiscal year ending March 2018?

Sony (by more than 3m) 260 27.84%

Sony (between 2-3m more) 52 5.57%

Sony (between 1-2m more) 73 7.82%

Virtually tied (within 1m of each other) 133 14.24%

Nintendo (between 1-2m more) 150 16.06%

Nintendo (between 2-3m more) 59 6.32%

Nintendo (by more than 3m) 104 11.13%

Microsoft (seriously) 15 1.61%

Microsoft (for the lulz) 30 3.21%

Scoreboard 58 6.21%

Total:934
Louie said:

But nobody does that! We simply don't have hard Vita numbers and so have to make an educated guess.

Edit: And I wouldn't factor in the SNES Mini because that's not a modern gaming console as you can't change cards or discs. It's more like the very ancient ones that only had a handful of games included. But that's another discussion, I think.

Yes and the reason there are no Vita numbers is because Sony does what any company not selling a product well would do: keep those figures to themselves. I don't approve of that, I mean everybody knows the Vita is not selling well so Sony looks bad trying to hide those numbers. We can agree on that.

If we are going to compare PS4 + Vita vs Swich + 3DS numbers, I believe that even if Vita numbers would be known that Nintendo would still come on top cause the 3DS has done very well as everybody knows and the Vita is not. But trying to add numbers and including unknown numbers (Vita) to try to come on top, I don't know, it feels to me like kicking a horse that is already on the ground. It seems wrong.

Again I am not asking of anyone what I would not ask of myself. I wouldn't do it and that's why I'm voicing my opinion on this matter, some people may agree, others disagree and that's ok.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 02 May 2018

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
zorg1000 said:

Nintendo sells far more software than Sony but i never implied Sony software sells bad or they are going to go bankrupt over it. Nice job at making up arguments that were never said.

Maybe read the OP and not just the title? Its 100% clear the topic is about VIDEO GAME HARDWARE. Dont get salty because you couldnt comprehend that.

Says the "passion-driven" Sony fan getting offended by a comparison of gaming hardware sales on a website dedicated to gaming sales. Its not PS4 vs NSW+3DS, its PS4+Vita vs NSW+3DS.

Salty me? LOL

I'm kicking back to reality this "hornet's nest" on the topic of figures, the hornets start stinging cause they don't like to be called out on figures and I'm the one that is salty?

I'm talking about figures (topic) you call me out on being salty (personal attack) and I'm the one that is salty? Oh boy.

I prefer to stay on the topic at hand if you don't mind so you should keep your personal impressions about me being salty or not to yourself, unless making this personal is so important to you.

So back to the topic. I am discussing games sales, not sure why you end up your little attack by saying I'm offended by a comparison of hardware sales on a gaming sales website cause I'm pretty sure I'm NOT talking about the weather or the expensive fees one must pay to enter universities, I'm pretty sure I'm taking about sales in this thread, right? Or maybe you can't comprehend that. If you could comprehend what I said you'd notice that I'm talking about comparing what is comparable. I also added that you may compare anything you want but it comes across as biased and I would not do that. I'm only applying the standards I apply to myself, to you too, that's all.

Yes, salty or as Louie said, "thin-skinned". You do this quite often, you get offended by something and try twisting things, people call you out on it then you try to turn it around like youre the level headed and unbiased party.

You say you want to stay on topic but you threw that out the window with your first post when you brought up things that are 100% irrelevant to the topic like software sales, TV division and Labo in a discussion about hardware sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Yes, salty or as Louie said, "thin-skinned". You do this quite often, you get offended by something and try twisting things, people call you out on it then you try to turn it around like youre the level headed and unbiased party.

You say you want to stay on topic but you threw that out the window with your first post when you brought up things that are 100% irrelevant to the topic like software sales, TV division and Labo in a discussion about hardware sales.

Dude if you are going to call me salty or offended every time I call you out on your little vanity trip then you'll have to keep making this personal for ever cause if I disagree with something or if I have an opinion on something I voice it. If from there your only argument is making it personal and accusing me personally of being salty or having this or that intention then that's your problem.

I am on topic, the topic is the sales of one system vs the sales of two systems of the other company. I voiced my opinion on that, didn't I? I said if you want to talk fiscal year which is in the title, then you must talk about all a company makes. And as extra info I added a video talking about Labo, which is a Nintendo product, a gaming product I speak of on a gaming website.

You may disagree and some like Louie mentioned that we are talking about games and that is a fair point. But not you, you had to make this personal with your little attacks. In my opinion you are the super thin skinned one if you need to get all personal the second someone questions your beliefs. I will always talk about the topic or something topic related, you are going to reply by telling me I'm salty, offended, Pro-Sony etc. Do you even realize that if you need to resort to that, it's cause you don't have too much of a leg to stand on when it comes to the topic itself?

Prove me wrong, contrary to you I don't have a problem with that. Stay on topic to begin with instead of resorting to your little personal attacks. Spend less time trying to judge people and deciding what their intentions are and more time on explaining your side of the story. Accept that people may disagree or consider things from a different angle, that does NOT mean I'm saying Nintendo is doing bad or anything, that only means I consider the issue from a different angle.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Louie said:

But nobody does that! We simply don't have hard Vita numbers and so have to make an educated guess.

Edit: And I wouldn't factor in the SNES Mini because that's not a modern gaming console as you can't change cards or discs. It's more like the very ancient ones that only had a handful of games included. But that's another discussion, I think.

Yes and the reason there are no Vita numbers is because Sony does what any company not selling a product well would do: keep those figures to themselves. I don't approve of that, I mean everybody knows the Vita is not selling well so Sony looks bad trying to hide those numbers. We can agree on that.

If we are going to compare PS4 + Vita vs Swich + 3DS numbers, I believe that even if Vita numbers would be known that Nintendo would still come on top cause the 3DS has done very well as everybody knows and the Vita is not. But trying to add numbers and including unknown numbers (Vita) to try to come on top, I don't know, it feels to me like kicking a horse that is already on the ground. It seems wrong.

Again I am not asking of anyone what I would not ask of myself. I wouldn't do it and that's why I'm voicing my opinion on this matter, some people may agree, other disagree and that's ok.

Sorry to barge into this conversation like this but, isn't it also unfair to discount the still decent sales of the 3DS last fiscal year just because its most direct competidor (the Vita) sells/sold poorly? 

The old portable still means a lot to Nintendo's future, so why ignore it in this kind of comparisons?

Malt4zar said:

Sorry to barge into this conversation like this but, isn't it also unfair to discount the still decent sales of the 3DS last fiscal year just because its most direct competidor (the Vita) sells/sold poorly? 

The old portable still means a lot to Nintendo's future, so why ignore it in this kind of comparisons?

No need to be sorry, your question is totally fair so here is my reply:

I would never ask of 3DS sales to be discounted or ignored. If the thread had been 3DS vs Vita, 3DS totally crushing Vita in sales, then I would have been totally ok with that as a comparison of 3DS vs Vita is totally fair because they are direct competitors that are fighting for the exact same market: Portables.

It's the fact the thread is pitching Switch + 3DS vs PS4 sales which seems wrong. As Louie said it himself, Vita figures are unknown. So comparing to unknown sales of a system seems kind of an unfair way to put forth figures. And this is just my opinion, you are of course free to disagree

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
zorg1000 said:

Dude if you are going to call me salty or offended every time I call you out on your little vanity trip then you'll have to keep making this personal for ever cause if I disagree with something or if I have an opinion on something I voice it. If from there your only argument is making it personal and accusing me personally of being salty or having this or that intention then that's your problem.

I am on topic, the topic is the sales of one system vs the sales of two systems of the other company. I voiced my opinion on that, didn't I? I said if you want to talk fiscal year which is in the title, then you must talk about all a company makes. And as extra info I added a video talking about Labo, which is a Nintendo product, a gaming product I speak of on a gaming website.

You may disagree and some like Louie mentioned that we are talking about games and that is a fair point. But not you, you had to make this personal with your little attacks. In my opinion you are the super thin skinned one if you need to get all personal the second someone questions your beliefs. I will always talk about the topic or something topic related, you are going to reply by telling me I'm salty, offended, Pro-Sony etc. Do you even realize that if you need to resort to that, it's cause you don't have too much of a leg to stand on when it comes to the topic itself?

Prove me wrong, contrary to you I don't have a problem with that. Stay on topic to begin with instead of resorting to your little personal attacks. Spend less time trying to judge people and deciding what their intentions are and more time on explaining your side of the story. Accept that people may disagree or consider things from a different angle, that does NOT mean I'm saying Nintendo is doing bad or anything, that only means I consider the issue from a different angle.

Its not just me, its multiple users you have gotten into arguments with over the last few months. It always follows that pattern.

No, for the 14th time its 2 systems vs 2 systems. Vita selling terrible doesnt mean it ceases to exist.

Stop saying you are all about staying on topic when your first post brought up 3 unrelated topics.

Louie literally called you thin-skinned a few posts ago but you're up in arms because i said you're salty?

Prove you wrong on what? You're not making any sense at this point.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Its not just me, its multiple users you have gotten into arguments with over the last few months. It always follows that pattern.

No, for the 14th time its 2 systems vs 2 systems. Vita selling terrible doesnt mean it ceases to exist.

Stop saying you are all about staying on topic when your first post brought up 3 unrelated topics.

Louie literally called you thin-skinned a few posts ago but you're up in arms because i said you're salty?

Prove you wrong on what? You're not making any sense at this point.

And there you go again with your little personal vendetta. You just can't let go do you?

Louie called me ONCE on this issue, I explained how I'm not thin skinned, I'm simply voicing my opinion and he stopped going down that path, but NOT YOU. You have to continue cause you have no leg to stand on, if you can't make this a personal attack then you have nothing to stand on. Multiple users you say? It's a bunch of users yes. What? You thought you were the only one that needs to resort to personal attacks? But the majority of people don't do it so it's a small bunch of users and nothing more.

Look at the previous post in this thread, the one where Malt4zar replies to me. He stays on topic, he confronts me with the 3DS, he plays fair. But do you see him calling me salty and saying my intentions are this and that? Nope. And I reply to him and he may agree or disagree but the discussion stays courteous because that's how a normal convo goes. But not with you, you need to make this personal and now you are talking about arguments that go back months and have NOTHING to do with today's topic, to justify your personal attack on me?

If I made no sense as you say you would have stopped answering me again and again.

So here is the deal, you keep making personal attacks now or in future threads cause that's obviously your pattern and you obviously don't learn from it and I keep voicing my opinion cause yeah I have an opinion on things and when I disagree with something I say it and that's going to be all. This is my last answer to your little personal attacks against me. I can't reason with you despite trying so I'm done trying. Take care.

RolStoppable said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

(...)

It's the fact the thread is pitching Switch + 3DS vs PS4 sales which seems wrong. As Louie said it himself, Vita figures are unknown. So comparing to unknown sales of a system seems kind of an unfair way to put forth figures. And this is just my opinion, you are of course free to disagree

This thread compares Switch and 3DS vs. PS4 and Vita, so what you state is not a fact, but a lie.

Except as I said before and won't get into detail again, the Vita figures in your thread are downright absent.

Copy pasted example:

"Sony: 4.2m PS4s for the quarter, YTD of 7.5m. (Where is the Vita figures here?)
Nintendo: 2.93m for Switch for the quarter, YTD 4.89m. 1.9m for 3DS, YTD 2.86m. Total: 7.75m"

And you do this repeatedly. So how is that a fair comparison between Switch/3DS vs PS4/Vita when the Vita info isn't even there?

And you need to check the word "lie" cause I am not lying, I am giving an opinion on what should and should not be compared, the word lie doesn't even apply here.

Maybe to move this discussion to the future a bit, looking at this year's forecast the trend seems to continue. Forecasts (copy-pasted from Rol's original post):

Sony: 16m PS4s, Vita undisclosed.
Nintendo: 20m for Switch, 4m for 3DS. Total: 24m.

It's quite possible that Sony is being conservative and Nintendo bullish with their projections, but as has been said: Even accounting for that and Vita sales (or even looking at only PS4 vs Switch) this leaves us with Nintendo as the projected market leader for the next fiscal year and the Switch forecast is higher than the PS4's peak. So the much more interesting question I think is: Are we entering a new Nintendo dominated era with the Switch going even higher in 2019 or will the trend reverse? A lot of this could depend on how Nintendo's next president will act and what he'll make Nintendo focus on. Because we all know Nintendo is... unpredictable without someone with a clear head at the helm.

RolStoppable said:

The Vita figures in your example are mentioned shortly afterwards in the update of the same date. The Vita gets mentioned repeatedly throughout the entire original post and its updates. This includes the final update that determines that Nintendo's margin of victory falls into the range of 1-2m despite the officially announced figures being 21.45m for Nintendo and 19m for Sony.

You said that it is a fact that this thread does not acknowledge PlayStation Vita in the comparison. That's blatantly false and you've been made aware of that a few times before I first responded to you. You cannot claim ignorance in this case, therefore the only logical conclusion is that you lied in the face of evidence.

Yet those figures clearly do NOT mention the Vita's. In that example I gave your total goes 7.5 million PS4 (VITA NOT INCLUDED) and 7.75 million Switch + 3DS.

If you had meant to add Vita figures you would have added them RIGHT THERE, or updated them right there. but you LEFT that and did not change it and I'm sorry but 7.5 millions units is for 1 system (PS4) and 7.75 millions is for 2 systems (Switch + 3DS) And that is only one example as you keep doing the same across your entire post.

I have so far only given an opinion on what I consider fair comparison and everyone is free to disagree. Yet you claim to logically conclude that I'm lying. Again I'm not sure why you use that specific word. You on the other hand as seen in my example do not have figures for the Vita and yet you go on comparing its figures that you don't have to both the Switch and 3DS. I would not call that a lie as AGAIN that word does not apply, instead the correct word here is DISHONESTY in figures.

Sorry about that, I don't wish to make this about your intentions, I only meant to voice an opinion, but since you TOO seem intent on speaking about my alleged intentions rather than my opinions then I have to call your intentions out for what they are.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 02 May 2018