By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo has a realistic shot at returning to #1 this fiscal year - RESULT: Nintendo back on top (21.45m), Sony second (19m+)

Which company will sell the most consoles in the fiscal year ending March 2018?

Sony (by more than 3m) 260 27.84%

Sony (between 2-3m more) 52 5.57%

Sony (between 1-2m more) 73 7.82%

Virtually tied (within 1m of each other) 133 14.24%

Nintendo (between 1-2m more) 150 16.06%

Nintendo (between 2-3m more) 59 6.32%

Nintendo (by more than 3m) 104 11.13%

Microsoft (seriously) 15 1.61%

Microsoft (for the lulz) 30 3.21%

Scoreboard 58 6.21%

Total:934

What CrazyGamer says is not totally incongruous.

If we are speaking about gaming hardware for this gen, where are PSVR figures ? (just by consistency, I do not care if it changes the result or not).

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
PS4 will beat Switch + 3DS probably every single year, 3DS sales will enter the nose dive point after this holidays so this is actually the only year there is a chance for both combined beat the PS4, after that it'll be basically PS4 vs Switch and PS4 will keep beating it until the PS5 comes.

Spot on.

Lauster said:

If we are speaking about gaming hardware for this gen, where are PSVR figures ? (just by consistency, I do not care if it changes the result or not).

But PSVR is just an add-on, not a standalone platform. There are also no NES or SNES Mini figures included.

Lauster said:

PSVR is an accessory, you cant just buy a PSVR and start playing.

It would be like including sales of extra Switch docks.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Louie said:
Lauster said:

But PSVR is just an add-on, not a standalone platform. There are also no NES or SNES Mini figures included.

Well, it's like the Sega CD that needs a Sega Genesis but is considered like a different platform in VGC (http://www.vgchartz.com/platforms/).

Someone (Rol ? I don't remember) said in this thread that NES and SNES mini are not included because it's not current gen games. That's why I said gaming hardware for this gen.

We can add them if you want, but it proves that this result is just a part of reality according to the limits we want to consider.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Lauster said:

PSVR is an accessory, you cant just buy a PSVR and start playing.

It would be like including sales of extra Switch docks.

Because you can play different games than the Switch with just the dock ? :P

@ CrazyGamer2017

Your whole notion that you cannot compare 2 systems to 1 (+1 dead 1) in a thread that looks to establish overall market share is flawed.

Nintendo could have 10 system to Sony's 1 and it would still be fair game to compare them as it would accurately describe both companies overall presence in the gaming sector.

Going by your logic, if we were to compare Apple & Samsung in the phone market, it wouldn't be fair because Samsung has more handsets...

How many products a company has within a certain market is a choice and forms part of an overall strategy of making the most money / gaining the largest possible part of the market. There's no right or wrong or fair or unfair. If a company manages to come out on top with 1 product or 100 that's absolutely fine.

Same goes for Sony, if they thought that they could improve profitability and grab more market share buy launching 5 systems - they would & it would be perfectly legitimate to compare those 5 to Nintendo's 2...

Lauster said:
Louie said:

Well, it's like the Sega CD that needs a Sega Genesis but is considered like a different platform in VGC (http://www.vgchartz.com/platforms/).

Someone (Rol ? I don't remember) said in this thread that NES and SNES mini are not included because it's not current gen games. That's why I said gaming hardware for this gen.

We can add them if you want, but it proves that this result is just a part of reality according to the limits we want to consider.

So by your logic, the Wii balance board would be recognised as a platform?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Louie said:

But nobody does that! We simply don't have hard Vita numbers and so have to make an educated guess.

Edit: And I wouldn't factor in the SNES Mini because that's not a modern gaming console as you can't change cards or discs. It's more like the very ancient ones that only had a handful of games included. But that's another discussion, I think.

Yes and the reason there are no Vita numbers is because Sony does what any company not selling a product well would do: keep those figures to themselves. I don't approve of that, I mean everybody knows the Vita is not selling well so Sony looks bad trying to hide those numbers. We can agree on that.

But Nintendo still gave out numbers for Wii U......

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Biggerboat1 said:
Lauster said:

So by your logic, the Wii balance board would be recognised as a platform?

By the logic of my previous message, no, because it's not listed on http://www.vgchartz.com/platforms :P