By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sells 459,000 copies on launch day in US, fastest-selling Mario Kart in the US.

Wow. Mind blown. A full priced, 3-year old port, launched in the 2nd month after a new console launch without much marketing (at least based on my own personal observations) is not a scenario where I would expect any records to be broken.

Also congrats to Nintendo for crossing 1 million consoles sold in the US!

NPD results are going to be interesting to watch in the next few months.

Around the Network
Augen said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Even the remasters from older games on the WiiU would be great to see going to the Switch, imagine Twilight Princess or Wind Waker on a portable machine.

My body is ready.

As someone who skipped the Wii U (the first Nintendo portable or home system I have passed on) I love the idea of all those Wii U titles on the go as I play handhelds a lot (3DS and PSV have had major play time).

Aye nuts actually thinking about it, had and still have NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBASP, GBAMicro, DSlite, 3DSXL and Switch. This puts the Wii-U in line with the popularity of the Nintendo machine which actually caused blindness from playing its 13 or so games for me.

I would think there is a a good number of people who would have loved to support the WiiU but just simply couldn't get behind what was a fairly rough machine from the off, if Nintendo salvage all the decent first party software from the platform and move it over the to Switch with Deluxe editions then the WiiU will take a strange place in history of consoles as basically a "not quite there" tech demo of the Switch.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

People are very hungry for more games to play on the NS form factor. Congrats Nintendo.

My 8th gen collection

SpokenTruth said:
RolStoppable said:
45% attach rate is a strange statement, because that would put Switch hardware sales in the USA at 1.02m by the end of April, so only 120k units sold in April. Yes, there was air fright that pushed April supply into March, but 120k units for the month is less than what Japan has been getting in April. This doesn't really add up.

45% is either true and disappointing, or Nintendo PR made a mistake.

I've seen a few places point out the attach rate was accidently based on the NPD March figures.

Yes, that totally make sense, because NPD said Switch sold 925k in March, so around 45% attach rate is actually around 450k.

WOW

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
the_dengle said:

Pop quiz time boys and girls! Fill in the blank with the statement that most correctly completes the sentence:

All other things being equal, if more Switch games had been released last month, _____________.
(a) fewer people would want to play Mario Kart
(b) more people would want to buy a Switch
(c ) Lawlight would say something positive about Nintendo

And this is just the start. We have a few years ahead of us, completely filled with logical fallacies.

It's shaping up to be like back in the good old Wii days! Already Bomberman, 1-2-Switch, Puyo Puyo vs. Tetris and Mario Kart (because port) are not "real games" and people only buy them because there are no games for the Switch. It's gonna be fun to read these topics when ARMS, Splatoon, etc. hit the market. 

I said it multiple times and will say it again, Switch is the new Wii but this time won't sell as fast but it will sell longer so yeah 100m is a lock. 

Zekkyou said:
areason said:

Yeah people defintely bought the system for 1,2 switch and super bomberman, poor Nintendo games having too much competition. 

There's no need to exaggerate what i said. MK8D being the first AAA Nintendo game since the Switch's launch is obviously relevant (45% of US Switch owners buying it day 1 makes that clear), i say as much in that comment, but your original claim is still wrong. You didn't add any qualifiers for what constitutes a "game", so saying it's the Switch's 2nd is inaccurate.

It's pretty easy to understand that it is the 2nd worthy release on the switch. I don't need to to say it. 

EricFabian said:
areason said:

Yeah mate, it's definetely a system seller, and not bought because their isn't anything else.

It's propestrous to claim that until now the only thing worth buying on the switch is zelda. 

No, is not. Maybe for you. But there is now 2 games in a road to sell 1M each. So you are wrong anyway

Yes and the 2nd is Mario Kart.

Launch games selling 1 million means nothing just look at ridge racer. The claim that super bomberman is pushing units is baffling, if it was a system seller then it would have not had a 7 year hiatus. 

onionberry said:
this is because we don't have other game and not because this franchise is powerful as fuck. lol doomed.

Well, they are right. Switch owners, as me, are rare people who can't play on other consoles, not even mobile, so Switch games are our only option.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile