By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSN Generates More Revenue than Nintendo

Lawlight said:
Shiken said:

Yes their consoles have been doing well, thanks for stating the obvious.  I am living in the present where the Switch has one of the most successful launches in history and Sony has been destroyed into non existence in the handheld industry by the DS and 3DS.  You can continue to fool yourself into thinking Sony is perect and the end all and be all and ignore the damage that they are still recovering from just to try to make a company that already looks good, good.

Or maybe you are just using what success they have had to downplay another company that is making a recovery of their own, and even already have what is likely GotY 2017 in BotW?  Does not change the reality of the situation one bit.  😉

Bottom line is Sony only rules CONSOLES while Nintendo clearly found a market for HANDHELD/HYBRID systems.  Stop being sour about the fact that Nintendo games still are not on Sony consoles and be happy that both company are doing well right now.  It is not that hard.  🙄

Sorry to break this to you but ruling console gaming = ruling gaming. There's a very good reason why Nintendo now have 1 system as opposed to 2. Because handheld is becoming increasingly irrelevany outside of Japan and their consoles are not desired enough.

I canmt say whether Nintendo is making a recovery or not - too early to say but I know they will ship less systems than the previous generation.

Yeah good luck with that.  People said the same thing about the PS4, but look how that turned out.

Care to make a bet?  If you are going to go this far out of your way to be wrong, I cannot pass this opportunity up!  😂

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Sony needs to put some of these massive PSN profits to use in improving PSN. But I'm starting to think a lot of PSN's flaws are things they can't fix or they would have already. Like changing your PSN name. If they could have fixed that they'd have done it and found an easy way to charge us more money, like MS does. It's also weird how certain games can show you not only what your friends are playing but details about the game they are in, yet PSN does not. Madden for example, I can see my friend in an online league match is losing 20-3 in the third quarter. On PSN I just see that he is playing Madden. Or Battleborn, if I wanna try and join up with friends playing, on XBL it will logically only show me my friends who are online and playing Battleborn on the in-game friends list. On PSN it literally pops up your entire friends list regardless of what game they are playing or if they're even online or not. Among many other examples. I guess they just can't change these things, because the alternative is they either don't know how or don't care to and those options suck.

Hopefully Nintendo makes a lot of money on their service as well and it improves. I haven't used the Switch online functionality yet but the Wii U is very bare bones, it's almost like playing online on the Dreamcast or something.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Sony needs to put some of these massive PSN profits to use in improving PSN. But I'm starting to think a lot of PSN's flaws are things they can't fix or they would have already. Like changing your PSN name. If they could have fixed that they'd have done it and found an easy way to charge us more money, like MS does. It's also weird how certain games can show you not only what your friends are playing but details about the game they are in, yet PSN does not. Madden for example, I can see my friend in an online league match is losing 20-3 in the third quarter. On PSN I just see that he is playing Madden. Or Battleborn, if I wanna try and join up with friends playing, on XBL it will logically only show me my friends who are online and playing Battleborn on the in-game friends list. On PSN it literally pops up your entire friends list regardless of what game they are playing or if they're even online or not. Among many other examples. I guess they just can't change these things, because the alternative is they either don't know how or don't care to and those options suck.

Hopefully Nintendo makes a lot of money on their service as well and it improves. I haven't used the Switch online functionality yet but the Wii U is very bare bones, it's almost like playing online on the Dreamcast or something.

Agreed. They need to improve PSN download speeds and connection stability which is why I often can't download patches and buy games from PS Store when they are large enough. I don't have this problem on PC and Xbox 360.

superchunk said:
This is more than the subscription revenue itself, right? This has to be a total sum including all digital sales, i.e. games, music, movies, etc. across all devices that access PSN.

Still quite impressive, but I suspect that as Nintendo builds a better platform with Switch (inevitable) then their digital sales on the one console (Switch) will outdo the multiple consoles that this generic PSN revenue (PS3, PSV, PSTV, PS4) is counting.

That's why they have to improve A LOT their current services. On Wii U, transfering digital purchases between consoles demanded help from their support. Right now, they don't even have cloud saves on Switch.

Sorry to bump, but the reply I made, that I think was to do with the one I made in this thread, couldn't be posted due to the thread being locked before I could send it. Anyway here's the post:

Mystro-Sama said:

Green098 said:

Good thing Nintendo's doing a paid online subscription service this generation!

Good for who?

Green098 said:

Good thing Nintendo's doing a paid online subscription service this generation!

Nope! Why should Nintendo let Sony and Microsoft rake in the cash via paid online subscriptions, it provides a huge source of income each month that most people pay for because it provides access to one of the most important features of games. Besides it costs money to run and support an online infraststructure, having free online costs the company money to have. Besides Nintendo's online service is like more than half the price of Sony's and Microsoft's, sure it doesn't give you free games each month of which are 90% of the time games I don't care about and I wouldn't waste storage space downloading even if they are free. You still get access to the online (the only thing I really care about of the subscription), discounts, phone app and a free virtual console game to play during that month which has added online features. Besides people always complained about Nintendo's online and they're only giving people what they wished for, the revenue generated can go towards a better and more quality service.

Anyways Nintendo would of been stupid to keep not charging for online, and only shooting themselves in the foot. It would be a consistent expensive that they'd have to pay for and people would just keep complaining about the quality you get when something like this is free.

I'll gladly pay a small sum a year for such a feature and monthly access to a virtual console title that has added online to it.

Of course everyone would obviously prefer something to just be free, but it would just be hypocritical of me to start to slander Nintendo for charging for online, when I've been paying for xbox live like it's just second nature and a standard thing to just expect on consoles these days. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8396621

Mystro-Sama said:
There is some truth to what hes saying though. I have met Nintendo fans like that online. One person on this forum tried to convince me about how amazing it was that we were paying for online on the Switch. I wouldn't say all Nintendo fans are like that though.

^http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8462759

Hey I think that's me your talking about! lol. While admit my first statement I was being a tad scarcastic to purposely annoy people because essentially it was PSN's huge success was one part as to what led to Nintendo to create an online service. I never said "amazing" and it's not lies that are not pros to the service to Nintendo fans as stated above, which I never heard you agrue against or prove me wrong by the way.

Anyways everyone was praising Sony for making so much money from paying for online, why can't I praise Nintendo for doing the same?

I thought in the end all my points were good points, weren't made up, all true, but if you disagree please prove my points wrong before writing me off as nothing other than fanboy, as I feel that is an insult to what was my well constructed argument based on my opinion/facts.

In the end all was saying that the Nintendo Online Service had pros. Why was that so bad to point out? Sure it sucks you have to pay $20 each year, but there's nothing you'll ever be able to do about so why not look on the bright side? Xbox Live, PSN, Nintendo Switch Online, all have pros to both the consumer and company, sorry if that's so wrong to say.

Around the Network
Green098 said:

Sorry to bump, but the reply I made, that I think was to do with the one I made in this thread, couldn't be posted due to the thread being locked before I could send it. Anyway here's the post:

Mystro-Sama said:

Good for who?

Nope! Why should Nintendo let Sony and Microsoft rake in the cash via paid online subscriptions, it provides a huge source of income each month that most people pay for because it provides access to one of the most important features of games. Besides it costs money to run and support an online infraststructure, having free online costs the company money to have. Besides Nintendo's online service is like more than half the price of Sony's and Microsoft's, sure it doesn't give you free games each month of which are 90% of the time games I don't care about and I wouldn't waste storage space downloading even if they are free. You still get access to the online (the only thing I really care about of the subscription), discounts, phone app and a free virtual console game to play during that month which has added online features. Besides people always complained about Nintendo's online and they're only giving people what they wished for, the revenue generated can go towards a better and more quality service.

Anyways Nintendo would of been stupid to keep not charging for online, and only shooting themselves in the foot. It would be a consistent expensive that they'd have to pay for and people would just keep complaining about the quality you get when something like this is free.

I'll gladly pay a small sum a year for such a feature and monthly access to a virtual console title that has added online to it.

Of course everyone would obviously prefer something to just be free, but it would just be hypocritical of me to start to slander Nintendo for charging for online, when I've been paying for xbox live like it's just second nature and a standard thing to just expect on consoles these days.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mystro-Sama said:
There is some truth to what hes saying though. I have met Nintendo fans like that online. One person on this forum tried to convince me about how amazing it was that we were paying for online on the Switch. I wouldn't say all Nintendo fans are like that though.

Hey I think that's me your talking about! lol. While admit my first statement I was being a tad scarcastic to purposely annoy people because essentially it was PSN's huge success was one part as to what led to Nintendo to create an online service. I never said "amazing" and it's not lies that are not pros to the service to Nintendo fans as stated above, which I never heard you agrue against or prove me wrong by the way.

Anyways everyone was praising Sony for making so much money from paying for online, why can't I praise Nintendo for doing the same?

I thought in the end all my points were good points, weren't made up, all true, but if you disagree please prove my points wrong before writing me off as nothing other than fanboy, as I feel that is an insult to what was my well constructed argument based on my opinion/facts.

In the end all was saying that the Nintendo Online Service had pros. Why was that so bad to point out? Sure it sucks you have to pay $20 each year, but there's nothing you'll ever be able to do about so why not look on the bright side? Xbox Live, PSN, Nintendo Switch Online, all have pros to both the consumer and company, sorry if that's so wrong to say.

It really doesn't matter who is praising who. A shitty decision is shitty no matter who does it and that goes for all 3 companies.

Mystro-Sama said:
Green098 said:

Mystro-Sama said:

Good for who?

It really doesn't matter who is praising who. A shitty decision is shitty no matter who does it and that goes for all 3 companies.

Well I can't say it's not an ideal situation that consoles are in. At least a heavily reduced price option for just the online access and nothing else would be nice. Free online could always be a thing if gives too much reason for more and more people to move to PC.