By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSN Generates More Revenue than Nintendo

SegataSanshiro said:
I swear this news is a year old. Not downplaying I just remember reading this a year ago.

It's just the same news for this years financials instead of last years.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Kai_Mao said:

Despite the Wii U and, initially, the 3DS's struggles, they haven't suffered a PS3-type loss over the course of the generation.

I believe Sony eventually made money on the PS3 but they bled money the first couple years considering it cost 200 or 300 hundred more to make the PS3 than what they were selling them for.  Hell it was cheaper than the crappy first gen blu ray players which were mostly in the 1000+ range still at the time.

What I'm saying is the lows for the Wii U/3DS era werent as low as the PS3 era. Both the Wii U and 3DS eventually made money too, maybe not a lot, but enough to be in the black. They weren't bleeding money. People like to compare the Wii U to the Dreamcast at times (whether its a parallel or not), but Sega was bleeding money enough to get out of the console business. And despite the Wii U being terribly marketed (as in very few really knew it existed or knew what it does compared to the Wii), having games delayed creating droughts, and not having that big title until about a year later when it was too late, the Wii U was able to avoid expanding the wound that hurt Nintendo back around 2012 when they reported their first loss in YEARS. Not saying that was great, but it could've been a lot worse.

Lawlight said:
Shiken said:

Two years of profit after a decade of loss and debt.  Sorrybut you have not destroyed anything because even though they have made a profit, it will be a long time before they make back everything that they lost prior to these past two years.

You can continue living in the past. In the meantime PS has been destroying the competition and has been hugely successful.

Yes their consoles have been doing well, thanks for stating the obvious.  I am living in the present where the Switch has one of the most successful launches in history and Sony has been destroyed into non existence in the handheld industry by the DS and 3DS.  You can continue to fool yourself into thinking Sony is perect and the end all and be all and ignore the damage that they are still recovering from just to try to make a company that already looks good, good.

Or maybe you are just using what success they have had to downplay another company that is making a recovery of their own, and even already have what is likely GotY 2017 in BotW?  Does not change the reality of the situation one bit.  😉

Bottom line is Sony only rules CONSOLES while Nintendo clearly found a market for HANDHELD/HYBRID systems.  Stop being sour about the fact that Nintendo games still are not on Sony consoles and be happy that both company are doing well right now.  It is not that hard.  🙄

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Lawlight said:

You can continue living in the past. In the meantime PS has been destroying the competition and has been hugely successful.

Yes their consoles have been doing well, thanks for stating the obvious.  I am living in the present where the Switch has one of the most successful launches in history and Sony has been destroyed into non existence in the handheld industry by the DS and 3DS.  You can continue to fool yourself into thinking Sony is perect and the end all and be all and ignore the damage that they are still recovering from just to try to make a company that already looks good, good.

Or maybe you are just using what success they have had to downplay another company that is making a recovery of their own, and even already have what is likely GotY 2017 in BotW?  Does not change the reality of the situation one bit.  😉

Bottom line is Sony only rules CONSOLES while Nintendo clearly found a market for HANDHELD/HYBRID systems.  Stop being sour about the fact that Nintendo games still are not on Sony consoles and be happy that both company are doing well right now.  It is not that hard.  🙄

Sorry to break this to you but ruling console gaming = ruling gaming. There's a very good reason why Nintendo now have 1 system as opposed to 2. Because handheld is becoming increasingly irrelevany outside of Japan and their consoles are not desired enough.

I canmt say whether Nintendo is making a recovery or not - too early to say but I know they will ship less systems than the previous generation.

Lawlight said:
Shiken said:

Sorry to break this to you but ruling console gaming = ruling gaming. There's a very good reason why Nintendo now have 1 system as opposed to 2. Because handheld is becoming increasingly irrelevany outside of Japan and their consoles are not desired enough.

I canmt say whether Nintendo is making a recovery or not - too early to say but I know they will ship less systems than the previous generation.

Like Sony this gen? 

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
daredevil.shark said:

And profit margin will be higher for PSN (only PSN not Sony whole) as it is digital only.

Sony: ¥715 billion from PlayStation Network sales alone in FY16. 

Nintendo's total FY16 revenue (¥489 billion)

daredevil.

I think this thread is retaliation thread.

I reported it.

You going to report yourself?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

Like Sony this gen? 

Yeah but Sony is the leader this generation, which is what matters (as long as they're catering to the core audience).

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

Like Sony this gen? 

Wait you think Sony will SHIP less with the PS4 than they did with the PS3?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Ka-pi96 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Wait you think Sony will SHIP less with the PS4 than they did with the PS3?

I assume he means PS4+Vita will be less than PS3+PSP

Which will most likely be correct. PSP did really well, the Vita... not so much.

Ahhhh okay then in that case I agree with him. If that is what he meant that is.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

ZhugeEX said:
This isn't a slight on Nintendo as some are taking it.

It's more to show how big PlayStation Network is for Sony's Game segment.

Digital is driving incremental growth this gen, not just through full game downloads , but through subscription services, DLC, Microtransactions and other post launch games content.

It also shows the huge opportunity available to Nintendo in growing its own digital business which didn't fare too well on 3DS and Wii U. If it can offer a good service worth paying for on Switch then we'll see plenty of growth from Nintendo's digital segment too.

Please, no one is naive enough to believe this, but nice try. ;)