By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Available now.

Tagged games:

The two player split screen on portable mode works OK. A Switch revision with a larger screen will make a lot of difference for playing like this.

The Joycons held side ways are OK too. Probably don't want to play hours like that, but it's definitely very usable, just make sure you have the wrist straps for making L/R more accessible.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
The two player split screen on portable mode works OK. A Switch revision with a larger screen will make a lot of difference for playing like this.

The Joycons held side ways are OK too. Probably don't want to play hours like that, but it's definitely very usable, just make sure you have the wrist straps for making L/R more accessible.

Yeah... I'm going to have to buy 2 Pro Controllers, that thought terrifies me and my bank account.

The HD Rumble on the Joycons is really nice though. Better than the Pro Controller where it's a bit too subtle. Feels real good.

I just tried 4 player split screen ... lol it's hilariously cramped, almost like a type of video game torture, but you can pull it off. It reminds me of some of my college buddies who used to play 4-player GoldenEye N64 hunched around a tiny little 12-inch black and white TV back in the late 90s into the wee hours of the morning, haha.

EDIT: Let me say again, horizontal Joycon mode is actually pretty good. Very, very usable. Just played another match with it. So for people asking from that first Switch system unveiling "yeah but can you really play Mario Kart like that ... it looks very uncomfortable" ... you totally can. The cramped screen size is more the issue for 2 player on a single Switch more than the controls are. 

Will be getting my copy later today, but I am definitely worried about the online given Switch's internet issues. 95% of my game time in Mario Kart is online play afterall. Interestingly while my Switch fluctuates between 1 n 2 bars of signal strength, I had no issue downloading updates, browsing the eShop and even watching trailers. Of course all that is less demanding than online play, so MK8D will be it's real test.

Soundwave said:

I got it but it took forever to download from the Nintendo eShop (sheesh).

Looks gorgeous in 1080p, really don't notice the lack of AA in 1080p sitting at normal living room distance.

Portable mode just feels *miles* better than Mario Kart 7 on 3DS. Like I've said, Switch is like flying first class, you never want to go back to coach after. 

Did you get it recently? I put it doing basically at midnight last night and had it by half past, not bad speed for my line... not line speed but 30 mins for close to 7GB was alright. Thinking could they be suffering congestion of the network now with a mad rush of people all downloading it, was it more than 30mins?

Also yeah... regarding going back to the 3ds or even Mario Kart DS, I'm sort of curious what it would be like to go back to them after playing this for a few hours, would think it would be absolutely jarring how weak the 3ds was when put alongside MK8D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Amazon is telling me the delivery date is now Wednesday. I am not amused. Might cancel and hit up GameStop today.

Eshop delievery is about 30mins depending on your internet speed :D delivered right to the console, can't beat that imo :D

be real... will you ever want to trade in MK8D?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Amazon is telling me the delivery date is now Wednesday. I am not amused. Might cancel and hit up GameStop today.

Eshop delievery is about 30mins depending on your internet speed :D delivered right to the console, can't beat that imo :D

:D

True, I'll never trade it, buuuuut I'm a sucker for physical media!

Soundwave said:

The HD Rumble on the Joycons is really nice though. Better than the Pro Controller where it's a bit too subtle. Feels real good.

I just tried 4 player split screen ... lol it's hilariously cramped, almost like a type of video game torture, but you can pull it off. It reminds me of some of my college buddies who used to play 4-player GoldenEye N64 hunched around a tiny little 12-inch black and white TV back in the late 90s into the wee hours of the morning, haha.

EDIT: Let me say again, horizontal Joycon mode is actually pretty good. Very, very usable. Just played another match with it. So for people asking from that first Switch system unveiling "yeah but can you really play Mario Kart like that ... it looks very uncomfortable" ... you totally can. The cramped screen size is more the issue for 2 player on a single Switch more than the controls are. 

Oh yeah Soundwave, I've played a ton of Fast RMX using 2 player like that, with the Switch screen even, that game is insanely fast for the size of screen and controller... but really after about half a lap to adjust it's exactly like back int he Good (bad) old days of split screen multiplayer joy with mates, pretty much anywhere you want for about 3-5 hours. Doesn't get much better imo.

Going to a cafe in a while to play some MK8D with mates :)

Einsam_Delphin said:

Will be getting my copy later today, but I am definitely worried about the online given Switch's internet issues. 95% of my game time in Mario Kart is online play afterall. Interestingly while my Switch fluctuates between 1 n 2 bars of signal strength, I had no issue downloading updates, browsing the eShop and even watching trailers. Of course all that is less demanding than online play, so MK8D will be it's real test.

Played about 4 series of races in Global, was shocked at how well it worked. 12 player races with no noticable lag or rubber banding seen on track.

Edit - Also wow at how many are online playing, that game is selling like hotcakes, fucking A+ win for Nintendo, basically digging software back out of the WiiU and slapping a switch logo on it, sell it as hot product, considering the little extra work to bring this from Wii-U to Switch I would think it is profit from Day 1 sales on the project as a whole.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Ganoncrotch said:

:D

True, I'll never trade it, buuuuut I'm a sucker for physical media!

I would too if it was a home console but... it's not really, and my cartridge port has my disgusting tasting copy of Zelda wedged in there for as long as I can leave it there really, just passing 100 shrines and 200 korok seeds now so there is still more to do before that comes out... heck I still haven't gone near "My" Castle. Even wielding 100+ power weapons with full Barbarian set :D I think by the time I walk into the final boss I'm going to 1 hit him.