By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 re-confirmed for this year by Nintendo

curl-6 said:

Even from the very first trailer of X I was wowed by the scale and grandeur of its world. Not so here.

Again, I hope at E3 they'll show some more impressive areas. A lot games seem meh at first then look progressively better as they approach release.

You always do this. Don't you think Monolith Soft deserves the benefit of the doubt for the next 5 weeks? Hell, is there anybody who has earned the benefit of the doubt like they have in this department?

You know all about "games that look meh at first!" That 3D World 180 was one for the history books.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
curl-6 said:

Even from the very first trailer of X I was wowed by the scale and grandeur of its world. Not so here.

Again, I hope at E3 they'll show some more impressive areas. A lot games seem meh at first then look progressively better as they approach release.

You always do this. Don't you think Monolith Soft deserves the benefit of the doubt for the next 5 weeks? Hell, is there anybody who has earned the benefit of the doubt like they have in this department?

You know all about "games that look meh at first!" That 3D World 180 was one for the history books.

I'm not writing it off, I'm just not sold yet.

curl-6 said:

Fair enough, although I have to ask whether you mean that literally - as in if the game came out right now, you wouldn't buy it.

Personally, if I were to pretend they didn't have me at "Takahashi" or "Monolith Soft" or "Xenoblade," they STILL would have had me at "ACE."

the_dengle said:
curl-6 said:

Fair enough, although I have to ask whether you mean that literally - as in if the game came out right now, you wouldn't buy it.

Personally, if I were to pretend they didn't have me at "Takahashi" or "Monolith Soft" or "Xenoblade," they STILL would have had me at "ACE."

Well, at this point I simply haven't seen enough, I'd want to know much more about the setting, story, gameplay, etc before I buy it.

What!? So soon? They should launch it in first quarter so Mario wont cannibalize its sales. A lesson should be learned from year in fourth quarter.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I'm really not sure what to think of XB2 yet. The reveal trailer made it look like rushed, generic trash, but maybe its one of those games that gets better the more we see of it.

I am pleased that its a sequel to the original game and not XCX though. I did enjoy XCX but the first game was by far superior.

I get that so far too, I think it's the use of "Tales of" character art-style that gets me. but someone pointed out to me this little gem, which gives me a surprising amount of hope for the game:

The Zohar? This is the greatest powersource in the Xenogears/Xenosaga universes, and it is the one element that was missing from XCX. It looks like some kind of power source, what could this mean? Are they planning on using this game as a bridge between XC and XCX, as XC was an independent story, and XCX fits much more in line with the universe of XG and XS, or the mainline Xeno-vision.

Otherwise, it could be just a little reference and will maintain as an independent storyline.

Somehow I am not sure that Takahashi is interested in wasting time with filler projects at this point in his career. A lot of science fiction authors like to write stories to join together their independent works.

XCX identifies the timeline as being when the Samaarians came forth into Earth's universe. In Xenogears and Xenosaga, this is when the Zohar came through as well from a higher dimension, and the Zohar had the ability to capture beings and energy from that dimension giving it the ability to generate infinite energy in our own. Could these people be the Samaarians? Those who brought the Zohar into our universe? We'll see, something along those lines would make things more interesting.

Stylistically, the character art should at least attempt to mimic Tanaka's work. Similar to XS2 and 3, and similar to how DQ spinoffs mimic Toriyama art. Otherwise, at best it's a Chrono Cross-like sequel, one that will have its fans, but will not be seen as a legitimate sequel; due to the inaccurate art style (not like Toriyama's original Chrono Trigger art at all), but unlike Chrono Cross, it is likely that the writing voice will at least be similar to the other games, whereas CC's was way off.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

TruckOSaurus said:
curl-6 said:

Just like ARMS was coming out in "Spring", huh Nintendo? ;)

Seriously though, between it being only 2 years since XCX came out, Nintendo's tendency to delay, and the fact that XCX came out in the West 8 months after Japan due to localization, I'd be shocked if this releases this year in the West.

June 16th is still technically Spring.

It is still Spring, Summer starts usually on the 20th/21st. 

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

I'm really not sure what to think of XB2 yet. The reveal trailer made it look like rushed, generic trash, but maybe its one of those games that gets better the more we see of it.

I am pleased that its a sequel to the original game and not XCX though. I did enjoy XCX but the first game was by far superior.

I get that so far too, I think it's the use of "Tales of" character art-style that gets me. but someone pointed out to me this little gem, which gives me a surprising amount of hope for the game:

The Zohar? This is the greatest powersource in the Xenogears/Xenosaga universes, and it is the one element that was missing from XCX. It looks like some kind of power source, what could this mean? Are they planning on using this game as a bridge between XC and XCX, as XC was an independent story, and XCX fits much more in line with the universe of XG and XS, or the mainline Xeno-vision.

Otherwise, it could be just a little reference and will maintain as an independent storyline.

Somehow I am not sure that Takahashi is interested in wasting time with filler projects at this point in his career. A lot of science fiction authors like to write stories to join together their independent works.

XCX identifies the timeline as being when the Samaarians came forth into Earth's universe. In Xenogears and Xenosaga, this is when the Zohar came through as well from a higher dimension, and the Zohar had the ability to capture beings and energy from that dimension giving it the ability to generate infinite energy in our own. Could these people be the Samaarians? Those who brought the Zohar into our universe? We'll see, something along those lines would make things more interesting.

Stylistically, the character art should at least attempt to mimic Tanaka's work. Similar to XS2 and 3, and similar to how DQ spinoffs mimic Toriyama art. Otherwise, at best it's a Chrono Cross-like sequel, one that will have its fans, but will not be seen as a legitimate sequel; due to the inaccurate art style (not like Toriyama's original Chrono Trigger art at all), but unlike Chrono Cross, it is likely that the writing voice will at least be similar to the other games, whereas CC's was way off.

Well the Zohar shows up in many things so not sure what it will mean, but I will say that Takahashi has never been one to go small.  As illustrated by the fact that Xenoblade was his first truly finished major project.  Ever :P

Gamexplain did a trailer annalysis with ChuggaConroy (probably butchered that spelling), might be worth looking at.  Given the nature of the trailer, I doubt there will be any major spoilers. 

I will say this though:  the world aesthetic is extremely similar to the original and given the world was always the big deal, that's got me excited.  And some of what we've seen looks very cool.  A gigantic floating city.  A settlement built on the back or shoulder of what appears to be a living, moving creature.  And what fascinates me the most is that this could be a world above the clouds we could actually traverse in real time.  Basically Skyward Sword's Sky only with a crap ton more in it.  And that I would find very cool indeed. 

I'm not passing any judgement on story or characters because much like the first trailer for XCX, we don't know crap when it comes to those things. 

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

It would be freaking awesome if XB2 manages to tie XBC and XCX together.

Fingers crossed at E3 we see more plot stuff and some of those trademark jawdropping worlds that characterized prior games. I wanna feel that awe that I did when I first saw Satorl Marsh or Noctilum at night, the vast alien ruins of Oblivia, or looking up from the Fallen Arm and seeing the Bionis and Mechonis looming overhead in all their gargantuan majesty.

And i still don't believe them (outside japan). ^^