By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Youtuber Arlo Nails It On Switch's Appeal And Oppurtunities

twintail said:
So his argument is basically what ppl were saying the Vita was going to be/ should have been?

cute

I know some people will still debate whether or not Switch is a 3DS successor, but i think a big thing that makes Switch so much better is the unified structure of combining their handheld & console into a single ecosystem.

Ya, Vita had cross buy/play/save with some PS4 games but overall a very small percentage of games released on PS4 had Vita versions to make use of this.

And ya, Vita had PS TV which allowed you to play Vita games on the TV but many games were not compatible with it.

And ya, Vita had remote play which let you play PS4 games on the go but from what i have heard its pretty flawed and requires a stable internet connection at all times making it impractical for most people.

So basically in order to play Vita games on the TV and your PS4 games on the go, you had to buy a Vita, PS TV & PS4 which depending on when you bought them would cost a combined $500-800.

With Switch (if it is a 3DS replacement) you just have to buy a single $300 device and you can play the entire library of games on the TV or on the go with a few exceptions (VOEZ is handheld only, 1-2 Switch is TV & tabletop only).

Essentially Nintendo took a concept that was good on paper but had never been executed properly and made a device that showed off the concepts potential.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I've been meaning to make a topic similar to this, as I recently started to feel the same way when I was chatting about it with my friends, but Arlo says it far better than I could have. Something about its hybrid concept makes it much more appealing to buy and play games on the Switch. When I was talking to my friends about what games we were planning to buy, it made feel so excited that we could all easily play together a lot of different games on our Switches whenever we meet up or go out somewhere. It feels crazy to say I wouldn't mind double dipping on some games just to be able to play them where ever I go.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Mummelmann said:
Contrary to popular belief, I think that big immersive games will be the least important titles for the Switch, as far as its handheld capabilities and appeal are concerned anyway.

I think the reverse. That's what makes the Switch unique. Home sized experiences on the go. 

There's only a small market left for "small/medium" experiences because mobile can seep into that territory and has made that a red ocean. Mobile doesn't need buttons because it has its own killer app -- free, which evens the odds, or puts the odds in its favor even. 

That leaves a nichey audience base of people who like things like weird Japanese RPGs and other off-beat titles, and that doesn't really amount to much. Vita tried to sell off these experiences and indie games and got nowhere. 

Those games are OK as support titles but they're not going to sell systems. Things like Zelda and Mario Odyessy will. 

As a huge Vita fan and a future Switch owner, I completely agree. Having the ability to play real games anywhere is awesome. I absolutly love Remote Play and PS Now on Vita, and I can not wait to play AAA Nintendo games anywhere, anytime with the Switch.

The one thing I would really like to see is 4G added to the Switch at some point in the future, and the ability to make and recieve calls and text. That would make the Switch the ultimate device for me, and now that my Vita has lost its ability to fill the Phone void, I need this from Nintendo more than ever.

Having th ability to sit down for 10 minutes and jump into something like Mario 64, God of War, Zedla, or Gran Turismo is the ultimate mobile experience for me, and that is why I love the Switch and the Vita, and hope that this form factor has a rejuvenation in the coming years. Right now Switch is in its infancy, and Vita is in its dieing years. There is really now great mobile device on the market with massive support for the first time in years. I prey that Nintendo is successful with Switch, and that the Switch line of products continues to expand in the future to become even more versitile. As a bonus it would be great if it lit a fire under Sony in the process.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Nice video, I mostly agree.

When it comes to portability many people think is only useful to play outside, I disagree, portability offers flexibility even in your home, you can play at any moment, in any room, in any position and even when you are doing other things, that's why I always liked handhelds.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Mummelmann said:
Contrary to popular belief, I think that big immersive games will be the least important titles for the Switch, as far as its handheld capabilities and appeal are concerned anyway.

I think the reverse. That's what makes the Switch unique. Home sized experiences on the go. 

There's only a small market left for "small/medium" experiences because mobile can seep into that territory and has made that a red ocean. Mobile doesn't need buttons because it has its own killer app -- free, which evens the odds, or puts the odds in its favor even. 

That leaves a nichey audience base of people who like things like weird Japanese RPGs and other off-beat titles, and that doesn't really amount to much. Vita tried to sell off these experiences and indie games and got nowhere. 

Those games are OK as support titles but they're not going to sell systems. Things like Zelda and Mario Odyessy will. 

i dont think its going to be any one game style that makes Switch unique, it will be the variety of software (AAA, indie, Japanese, kid/family, single player, online MP, local MP, casual, hardcore) and the freedom to play anywhere, anytime, anyway you want that makes Switch unique and successful.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

i dont think its going to be any one game style that makes Switch unique, it will be the variety of software (AAA, indie, Japanese, kid/family, single player, online MP, local MP, casual, hardcore) and the freedom to play anywhere, anytime, anyway you want that makes Switch unique and successful.

They must maintain the console style games though, I will say it now, they are going to get themselves into trouble if they veer too far away from that. 

The other types of games can be support/filler but do not confuse apetizers for a main dish. People are coming to this restaurant for the main dish. 

If they start to do things like market primarily to kids and try to sell the platform on a lot of small 3DS/Vita like games they are going to play right into the hands of the mobile competetion. You need to have the higher end games to draw a drastic difference in the eyes of consumers, otherwise they will just think of it as a standard handheld and that's a shrinking market. 

If you removed Zelda from the current Switch and replaced it with even 10 more indie/kids/variety games ... the system would be collecting dust on store shelves, I have zero doubt about that. 

Wow, I'm kinda shocked he got so big. I remember when he was in triple digit subs and watching some of his videos. Happy for him.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

twintail said:
So his argument is basically what ppl were saying the Vita was going to be/ should have been?

cute

Vita just didn't have enough hardware grunt, it still got bite size versions of Playstation franchises. People want something bigger than that, Switch delivers that with a far superior chip. If Breath of the Wild on Switch was a slashed down/mini version with like PS2++ graphics it wouldn't be selling nearly as well. 

Soundwave said:
twintail said:

cute

Vita just didn't have enough hardware grunt, it still got bite size versions of Playstation franchises. People want something bigger than that, Switch delivers that with a far superior chip. If Breath of the Wild on Switch was a slashed down/mini version with like PS2++ graphics it wouldn't be selling nearly as well. 

Idk, PSP in 2005 & Vita in 2011 are probably close to the equivalent of Switch in 2017 in terms of hardware grunt. PSP was like right in between PS1 & PS2, Vita between PS2 & PS3 and Switch between PS3 & PS4.

The main difference is the split in software support. Switch will be the sole Nintendo platform going forward (once 3DS sales & support dries up in the next year or so) and will see the support of 3DS & Wii U (and likely Vita) consolidated into a single unified ecosystem.