By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Youtuber Arlo Nails It On Switch's Appeal And Oppurtunities

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Vita just didn't have enough hardware grunt, it still got bite size versions of Playstation franchises. People want something bigger than that, Switch delivers that with a far superior chip. If Breath of the Wild on Switch was a slashed down/mini version with like PS2++ graphics it wouldn't be selling nearly as well. 

Idk, PSP in 2005 & Vita in 2011 are probably close to the equivalent of Switch in 2017 in terms of hardware grunt. PSP was like right in between PS1 & PS2, Vita between PS2 & PS3 and Switch between PS3 & PS4.

The main difference is the split in software support. Switch will be the sole Nintendo platform going forward (once 3DS sales & support dries up in the next year or so) and will see the support of 3DS & Wii U (and likely Vita) consolidated into a single unified ecosystem.

The thing is when you get to that PS3/360 territory of processing power, you get into an area of shaders/geometry/textures/resolution clairty etc. that while maybe not exactly bleeding edge are to a point where people can plausibly deem them even home experiences. You can have a scope/scale/look of games that are still reasonably modern looking. 

The COD and Assassin's Creed on the Vita plainly looked like PS2 games on steroids, and then two years later PS4 comes out so it's basically two full generations behind. This is the thing with mobile, you want to pick one side of the road to stand on (either extremely low end and cheap, or high end and premium ... walk in the middle of the road and you are going to get run over). 

The leap from the PS2 to PS3 gen is really huge, and Vita did not quite make it there. Other factors too, like IMO I think the teeny tiny portable concept has had it's day and that day is past. Nintendo was smart to embrace a more tablet-like form factor with a larger display, larger buttons, more robust analog sticks, etc. This lends itself better to the concept of a portable console. 

Around the Network

He has a account here. I wonder if he still comes by.

I've been watching him since he was mentioned in a thread here a few months ago. His videos are always very enjoyable and well-explained.
I completely agree with him about this, since I've always prefered handhelds over home consoles. That's why I love the Switch, we can now finally play the 'big games' on a handheld.

Great video and good points.

Soundwave said:
Mummelmann said:
Contrary to popular belief, I think that big immersive games will be the least important titles for the Switch, as far as its handheld capabilities and appeal are concerned anyway.

I think the reverse. That's what makes the Switch unique. Home sized experiences on the go. 

There's only a small market left for "small/medium" experiences because mobile can seep into that territory and has made that a red ocean. Mobile doesn't need buttons because it has its own killer app -- free, which evens the odds, or puts the odds in its favor even. 

That leaves a nichey audience base of people who like things like weird Japanese RPGs and other off-beat titles, and that doesn't really amount to much. Vita tried to sell off these experiences and indie games and got nowhere. 

Those games are OK as support titles but they're not going to sell systems. Things like Zelda and Mario Odyessy will. 

This is pretty much what the Vita aimed for though, like a small PS3-ish device for on the go gaming with some "big gaming" titles to help it sell (no, it won't sell like the Vita, of course, I'm just saying that this in and on itself isn't a selling point from a marketing perspective). The fact that you add the possibility to dock it to your TV doesn't sell the other concept by default. I rememeber seeing the reveal trailer, the guy playing Skyrim on the plane with the joy-con's looked absolutely ridiculous and I can't imagine there being any sort of huge market for this type of gaming. Sure, you could use a pro controller instead, but then you're starting to make it rather inconvenient when you carry so much stuff around (same goes for the attachment to weld two joy-con's into one controller, this becomes seriosuly bulky to wield for on-the go gaming). I just can't see how the Switch will convince people who want "big gaming" with this concept of taking it to the bus of coffeeshop or school, nor can I see how they'll capture the "small games" market, who only wants the very simplest and most convenient for their quick fix. I fear that once again, Nintendo have placed themselves squarely between two or more markets and that this will limit the appeal long term.

It's also worth noting that, despite the times we live in, Nintendo have once more opted to promote local multiplayer as a main selling point and they've made the process and practical sides of online multiplater needlessly cumbersome with many design choices and lack of features. You know what; I'm not seeing this being the amazing comet on the market that many seem to think. It's perfect for Japan though, but to me there's no sense in expecting another Wii, they're not creating a blue ocean, at best they're tossing a somewhat bipolar lure into a rather orange one.

Around the Network

I have a Vita, a 3DS, and finally the Switch.

I haven't really been turning on the two former consoles often, if ever. With Switch (and Zelda), I couldn't turn it off. Now that I've finished it, I haven't been bringing my Switch to work, either. With BIG games and no compromise, I'd be happily to go with the Switch version, even over the PS4/XBO version.

My dream is WWE 2K18--a game that requires a huge time investment. Time that I have at work and I'd gladly commit.

Mummelmann said:
Soundwave said:

I think the reverse. That's what makes the Switch unique. Home sized experiences on the go. 

There's only a small market left for "small/medium" experiences because mobile can seep into that territory and has made that a red ocean. Mobile doesn't need buttons because it has its own killer app -- free, which evens the odds, or puts the odds in its favor even. 

That leaves a nichey audience base of people who like things like weird Japanese RPGs and other off-beat titles, and that doesn't really amount to much. Vita tried to sell off these experiences and indie games and got nowhere. 

Those games are OK as support titles but they're not going to sell systems. Things like Zelda and Mario Odyessy will. 

This is pretty much what the Vita aimed for though, like a small PS3-ish device for on the go gaming with some "big gaming" titles to help it sell (no, it won't sell like the Vita, of course, I'm just saying that this in and on itself isn't a selling point from a marketing perspective). The fact that you add the possibility to dock it to your TV doesn't sell the other concept by default. I rememeber seeing the reveal trailer, the guy playing Skyrim on the plane with the joy-con's looked absolutely ridiculous and I can't imagine there being any sort of huge market for this type of gaming. Sure, you could use a pro controller instead, but then you're starting to make it rather inconvenient when you carry so much stuff around (same goes for the attachment to weld two joy-con's into one controller, this becomes seriosuly bulky to wield for on-the go gaming). I just can't see how the Switch will convince people who want "big gaming" with this concept of taking it to the bus of coffeeshop or school, nor can I see how they'll capture the "small games" market, who only wants the very simplest and most convenient for their quick fix. I fear that once again, Nintendo have placed themselves squarely between two or more markets and that this will limit the appeal long term.

It's also worth noting that, despite the times we live in, Nintendo have once more opted to promote local multiplayer as a main selling point and they've made the process and practical sides of online multiplater needlessly cumbersome with many design choices and lack of features. You know what; I'm not seeing this being the amazing comet on the market that many seem to think. It's perfect for Japan though, but to me there's no sense in expecting another Wii, they're not creating a blue ocean, at best they're tossing a somewhat bipolar lure into a rather orange one.

Problem with that whole situation is Vita could not run PS3 type games. They had to be scaled down to a large degree to the point where they never really felt like playing a PS3. 

It's like saying you want to be a model but not being all that good looking. It makes a difference if you actually are good looking. Vita couldn't cut the mustard, Switch does though. It's obviously not the most powerful hardware but IMO it just makes the cut off to be able to play relatively high end games that go beyond what people expect of portable games. 

I think if you own the system too, the appeal of it becomes more immediate when you actually have it. Being able to just pick it up off your nightstand and be playing a game as robust as Zelda: BotW or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe really feels ... I dunno. It's different. It does not feel like a 3DS or Vita. 

It's actually a fairly core product. 

Agree.

I do own a PS4 myself and tbh i don't even buy game or keep up with what is coming out. just no time to play when at home. On the go i waste a lot of time and it would definitely be spent better playing the games I can't at hime.

Soundwave said:
Mummelmann said:

Problem with that whole situation is Vita could not run PS3 type games. They had to be scaled down to a large degree to the point where they never really felt like playing a PS3. 

It's like saying you want to be a model but not being all that good looking. It makes a difference if you actually are good looking. Vita couldn't cut the mustard, Switch does though. It's obviously not the most powerful hardware but IMO it just makes the cut off to be able to play relatively high end games that go beyond what people expect of portable games. 

I think if you own the system too, the appeal of it becomes more immediate when you actually have it. Being able to just pick it up off your nightstand and be playing a game as robust as Zelda: BotW or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe really feels ... I dunno. It's different. It does not feel like a 3DS or Vita. 

It's actually a fairly core product. 

But that's a huge issue as far as perceived value goes and kinda supports the point I'm trying to make. The superficial pruchasing incentive for a Switch isn't being able to play "big games" on the go. There's also the added issue that it seemingly won't get these so called big games from most developers, what we've seen so far are old ports and there's no reason to believe that developers will suddenly change a 25+ year decision to not put their full weight behind Nintendo, leaving mostly Nintendo's own games to do the job. And, strong as they are, these 1st party titles still limit the overall appeal, and the breadth of it, especially when online play has been made so awkward.

Time will tell for sure, and I might very well be wrong, but I can't see any motivating factors in market movements to support the notion that the Switch will be an enormous success, especially with other segments of the market seeing huge growth, the amount of fringe consumers willing to shell out for dedicated gaming hardware appears to have shrunk a great deal.

The PSP was my favorite portable, ever. I got mine in 2009. The Vita had all of the tools in place to take that title but the AAA support dried up really quickly. There's still a handful of games like Borderlands that I never bought but I never even wanted that on home consoles!

The Switch can follow in the Vita's footsteps and gather dust but I doubt it. Any AAA game it gets its also a portable game. In time, I may have a new #1 of all time...