By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony ever surpass Nintendo's total hardware shipment?

RolStoppable said:
Dr.Vita said:
This is definitely going to happen in the future!
The only reason why Nintendo is still ahead is that they started way earlier than Sony.

The gap was at 140m when the PS1 launched. Today it is at 200m.

When Sony launched the PS1 Nintendo had already established themselves and started to release handhelds which ended up doing very strong (best decision Nintendo did). And nowadays handhelds are dying because of smartphones so Nintendo's biggest success is dying too. It's only a matter of time when Sony will surpass Nintendo total hardware shipment.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

Nah, Nintendo had too much of a head start, there's not enough time for Sony to catch up before gaming leaves consoles behind.

Sony (Since PS1) - 501.4m

Nintendo (Since N64) - 470.44m

Sony has outperformed Nintendo on hardware sales over the same timeframe, but due to the massive success of the DS and Wii not by much. If nintendo never hit those heights again (which is more likely than not). It'd still take too long, I don't think we'll see a PlayStation 6.

no it hasnt, Nintendo had shipped roughly 140 million when PS1 released. Your numbers dont include the massive sales of Gameboy in the mid-late 90s.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well, console hardware is only the the vehicle to sell games.

And if the VGC software numbers have any value, Sony will at least surpass the total software sales in the forseeable future:

Who will reach the mark of 5 billion games first, Sony or Nintendo?

Conina said:

Well, console hardware is only the the vehicle to sell games.

And if the VGC software numbers have any value, Sony will at least surpass the total software sales in the forseeable future:

Who will reach the mark of 5 billion games first, Sony or Nintendo?

sony will probably win the race to 5 billion

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:

What do you mean by this? Even the most negative outlook had Switch more than doubling the sales of Wii U. Unless you're stating that the Switch is well on it's way to 100+ million territory.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=224679

The consensus is comfortably below 50m units for the VGC community, so the average outlook isn't much better than doubling Wii U sales. We've also had threads declaring that Switch would do worse than Wii U as well as claims that Switch will be Nintendo's last console. Analysts haven't fared much better. The outlook for Switch has been very pessimistic.

And yes, Switch is going to sell more than 100m units. That's what makes it another Wii. It completely defies the expectations.

But 30m would be more than doubling Wii U. Reading that thread, I don't see how you would use it as a "told you so".

Using it's two month performance to declare 100m is certainly something. Not out of the question, but I don't think it's close to a certainity at all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

If they keep knocking it out the park on their home consoles, eventually they will. But for me...I'm under the party that wants a universal console that plays everything, so sorta like a PC but with Nintendo support and exclusives. I'm sick of paying hundreds for a console that only has a few select games I like..,

200 million is a shitload of consoles to sell and the other party had to stop selling theirs, so i don´t see that happening anytime soon.

Azzanation said:
Soundwave said:
Probably not, probably don't think Sony gives much of a crap anyway.

As long as each Playstation console hits 100 million and they make good money off of it, I'm sure they're pleased.

They ought to be because as a company they don't exactly have a ton of golden assets these days. Ain't nobody breaking down the doors to buy Sony TVs, smartphones, tablets, audio systems, etc.

Why 100m? Whats so magical about selling 100m compared to 50m.

What if Sony sold 60m PS4s and 40m PS4 Pros?

Is the PS3 a failed console to Sony because it didnt reach 100m?

Just curious to know why 100m sales mean so much?

Your question is kind of odd......what do you mean what is so magical about selling 100m compared to 50m.......the magic is in the fact that you have 50m more that is pretty self explanitory. It is not a magic number 100m is just more than 50m lol. And more than likely Soundwave was thinking in terms that it looks like the PS4 could hit 100m if it keeps up the pace it is at and the PS3 should end at a little over 87mil 100m would just be the average...

Also at the bolded....this makes no sense to me.....what does it matter if Sony sold 60m PS4s and 40m PS4 Pros? That is still 100m PS4 sales.....why would you seperate them like that?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Cloudman said:
If Nintendo products continue to sell poorly, along with Sony's good pace, it could happen, though it'd take several years, if the industry is still making hardware at that point, and not switch to streaming or something.

I believe this as well.

SpokenTruth said:
StarOcean said:

I believe this as well.

Would take decades at current rates.

Never claimed it'd be fast XD Also this is just going by Nintendo's strategy from 2011 forward. If Nintendo changes themselves (ei stop the fake shortages, youre doing this on purpose, Nintendo, and if not whoever is in charge of production is stupid). If they can fix themselves then I can see them coming back