By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Pro" versions are just the natural evolution of consoles

Scalability and spec upgrades have been happening on pc for decades, smartphones have it, why not consoles?

The only thing that sucks is to wait for mid gen refreshes for it to happen.

I want tiered console launches on day 1. If the PS5 is gonna cost $399 at launch thats fine, mass market price point, but I want the option to have better specs and higher fps. Just like we have the option to pay more for a phone to have better performance. I will always have a high end PC alongside my consoles, I really like my Sony exclusives, the ecosystem, couch potato, ease of use, the bigger online playerbase, friends etc so it's never gonna be all in on 1 or the other.

How would a $599 PS5 Pro hurt someone on the lower tier if games work fine on both machines? The concern that "they will target da Pro console" is flawed because it depends what the platform holder dictates and so far Sony has done the contrary to those concerns. Games like Nioh, Horizon, Nier run excellent on the base PS4.

Apparently thats also just what happens with game profiles on the Scorpio. No extra resources or time consuming work on 2 platforms, just as easy as flipping a switch.

I wanted the PS4 Pro at the launch, with a HD7950 derivative and a higher clocked cpu so I could get BF4 at locked 1080p60 instead of 900p45, or run Watch Dogs in 1080p instead of 900p. So Sony, gimme dat $599 PS5 Pro at launch so I can lock my frames!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Honestly, I don't want them, would be glad if that never happened again.
Gladly it didn't affect the base PS4 in a bad way, but when/if it becomes a standard move, it'll very likely be, and I don't want to buy new consoles every 2/3 years.

I'm grateful they became niche product (at least the pro). The pro itself isn't as impressive as I thought it would, so we were lucky both in two fronts. However if both it was stronger, and more successful, it will be sign that mobile like structure (Video Games as Service + New Hardware constantly) is more acceptable.

I would be happy if "pro" consoles never become a habit of console makers. Eventually, they would make exclusive games/content for those versions to further incentivize it. That's the "natural evolution" of mid gen upgrades or of tiered consoles. It's anti-consumer by nature. Also, it would make it more expensive for console makers to make consoles and for devs to make games for hardware.

The issue is early adoption. Thanks to the PS4 Pro, and me ending up with 2 PS4s because of it, I will be waiting a bit for the PS5. Don't need 2 PS5s... But, I'd imagine the parts could potentially be interchangeable. Kinda like Building a PC except everything just snaps into place, though drive bays, or something. To keep it simple, I guess. Since PC building has that stigma of being difficult to do, when all you need is one screw driver.

My PC outperforms my PS4 Pro. But, I just bought horizon, and, omg... I feel like if there was a game with all those effects going on, even my GTX 1080Ti would be crapping itself. Game looks beyond amazing. It has me actually wanting to play my PS4 again... Something I hadn't ever felt in the many years I've owned one...

It was always, "Well, I HAVE a PS4, so I may as well get SOMETHING for it."

So, you can see why I'm not going to be too quick to jump on the PS5.

You need a proper tv, which is incredibly difficult to decipher. Do not buy a Samsung 6 series TV, it does not support HDR. You also want to buy a native 120hz tv, which very few provide. HDMI classification is also a shit show right now. Even the best sites for all this bollocks are out of date and wrong on their recommendations. Its only going to get worse.

Around the Network

Still waiting for yearly refreshes like it's supposed to be. More choice, more power.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Aeolus451 said:
I would be happy if "pro" consoles never become a habit of console makers. Eventually, they would make exclusive games/content for those versions to further incentivize it. That's the "natural evolution" of mid gen upgrades or of tiered consoles. It's anti-consumer by nature. Also, it would make it more expensive for console makers to make consoles and for devs to make games for hardware.

Offering the choice between 2 console models which play the same games (main difference is the resolution) is anti-consumer?

And why would they make exclusive games/content for the more expensive model to further incentivize it? They make profit from the software, not the hardware... and the software for PS4 + PS4 Pro has the same price; the software for XBO + Scorpio will have the same price.

Burning Typhoon said:
The issue is early adoption. Thanks to the PS4 Pro, and me ending up with 2 PS4s because of it, I will be waiting a bit for the PS5. Don't need 2 PS5s... But, I'd imagine the parts could potentially be interchangeable.

And it was impossible to you to sell one of your PS4s, if you only need one? Why would you have to buy two PS5s, if PS5 Basic (for FullHD TVs) and PS5 Pro (for 4K TVs) launch at the same time?

Mid cycle spec upgrades to consoles are nothing new.

I hope they bring out tiered versions at console launches from now on. For gamers who can afford better graphics it should be atleast an option. Why should i settle for less because someone else can't afford it? Aslong as they do it right and are still considered the same platform and all games are shared between the other models than great. No one loses out.
The way it stands, premium/hardcore gamers have to settle for alot less.

Turkish said:

Scalability and spec upgrades have been happening on pc for decades, smartphones have it, why not consoles?

The only thing that sucks is to wait for mid gen refreshes for it to happen.

I want tiered console launches on day 1. If the PS5 is gonna cost $399 at launch thats fine, mass market price point, but I want the option to have better specs and higher fps. Just like we have the option to pay more for a phone to have better performance. I will always have a high end PC alongside my consoles, I really like my Sony exclusives, the ecosystem, couch potato, ease of use, the bigger online playerbase, friends etc so it's never gonna be all in on 1 or the other.

How would a $599 PS5 Pro hurt someone on the lower tier if games work fine on both machines? The concern that "they will target da Pro console" is flawed because it depends what the platform holder dictates and so far Sony has done the contrary to those concerns. Games like Nioh, Horizon, Nier run excellent on the base PS4.

Apparently thats also just what happens with game profiles on the Scorpio. No extra resources or time consuming work on 2 platforms, just as easy as flipping a switch.

I wanted the PS4 Pro at the launch, with a HD7950 derivative and a higher clocked cpu so I could get BF4 at locked 1080p60 instead of 900p45, or run Watch Dogs in 1080p instead of 900p. So Sony, gimme dat $599 PS5 Pro at launch so I can lock my frames!

NO!

The only reason it happened this gen is because of 4K TV's.  That is all.