By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Now That The Scorpio Specs Are Revealed How Long Til PS5 "Leaks?"

When Will We Get PS5 Leaks?

Shortly Before The Scorpio Launches 45 10.07%

Shortly After The Scorpio Luanches (2017) 13 2.91%

Early-Mid 2018 83 18.57%

Late 2018 163 36.47%

PS5 Isn't Launching Til 2021 143 31.99%

Total:447

Sony knows that it takes more than just processing power to win a console generation. This gen is JUST getting warmed up. I would like to see another 3-4 years pass before we hear anything about the PS5.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
I remember Sony milking the PS2 sales and pushing the release date of the PS3 back and then getting their asses kicked by MS and the 360. Sony will never allow this to happen again which is why they released first, done a mid gen update first and will probably announce the PS5 first. They will essentially become the pacemaker between the two home consoles.

Secondly, I don't think they will do a Nintendo and base the PS5 specs on the PS4 when their competitor has a overall more powerful system, especially if they are planning on releasing first.

As much as both want a huge power leap for the next gen, neither will want to price themselves away from profits and sales. I can see the PS5 running a Ryzen 5 cpu with a Navi GPU, with a reveal in early 2019 and launch in November 2019.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Sony announced a Switch like PS4 the year before instead of a regular superslim if Switch continues to do well. This will probably help Sony sell the PS4 beyond its gen.

With 2020 and beyond, they run the risk of launching behind MS, and as we know, MS don't mind cutting a gen of early by a year or so just to get a headstart on their competition.

1st bold, you should check that history, because everyone knows they delay it because they had problems mass producing the blu ray drives. It had  little to nothing with milking the ps2.

2nd bold... Going from 8 cores cpu to a 6 or 4 core cpu, makes total sense...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Pemalite said:
thismeintiel said:

The Pro isn't rushed, at all. Not like it's facing massive HW failures. As for power, they purposely designed it to just double up on the GPU to save on costs, while still being decently powerful.  It is just a mid-gen refresh, after all, not a new gen of HW. Doubt you'll be saying they could have just waited about the Scorpio if we start hearing about a much more powerful PS5 sometime next year.

The Playstation 4 Pro could have been executed a little better though. Having different performance "modes" isn't the most ideal approach.

thismeintiel said:

I think Sony will use HBM2, which AMD uses in their higher end GPUs.

HBM2 should be replaced by then.

The PC space moves fast. You can't expect today's technology to be the standard in 3 years time.

Modes are probably the most simplistic way of having various graphic sliders.  And that's what consoles are really for, gaming at some of its most simplistic.  I wouldn't doubt it if MS follows suit with the Scorpio.

And PC space being the key words there.  Consoles are usually a couple years behind in terms of what is considered higher end.  Of course, that's the trade off for having a decently specced $399 box.  There's still a chance that the PS4 will use HBM3.  However, if costs are too high (though, I've read HBM3 is supposed to be cheaper to make) or it's not ready in time, they may go with HBM2.  Not the newest tech, but sufficient.  I guess there's also a chance they go with GDDR6, if it also launches in time for significant cost reductions by the time the PS5 launches.

Late next year for sure and it's code name will be "Trinity" (because PS5, PSVR 2.0 and Vita 2.0) ;)
In all seriousness, I'm a strong believer of a Fall 2019 release date for PS5.

thismeintiel said:

Modes are probably the most simplistic way of having various graphic sliders.  And that's what consoles are really for, gaming at some of its most simplistic.  I wouldn't doubt it if MS follows suit with the Scorpio.

Nah. Having it completely transparent from the end-user is better. Having "modes" is terrible. Microsoft's approach with Scorpio is cleaner and superior.
Games that aren't Scorpio-optimised will still see increases in resolutions (Up-to 1080P) if the game uses a Dynamic resolution approach and 60fps (If the framerate is uncapped.)
And the console will apply 16x Anisotropic Filtering.

Sony's approach is to turn off half the hardware, which is a blatant waste of resources that could be used to make games better.

thismeintiel said:

And PC space being the key words there.  Consoles are usually a couple years behind in terms of what is considered higher end.  Of course, that's the trade off for having a decently specced $399 box.  There's still a chance that the PS4 will use HBM3.  However, if costs are too high (though, I've read HBM3 is supposed to be cheaper to make) or it's not ready in time, they may go with HBM2.  Not the newest tech, but sufficient.  I guess there's also a chance they go with GDDR6, if it also launches in time for significant cost reductions by the time the PS5 launches.

A console manufacturer will go with whatever is financially feasible.
A console will *never* have enthusiast levels of PC hardware. (Which is why peoples hopes of Scorpio having Ryzen was comical.)

GDDR6 should start gaining traction by the end of this year, GDDR5X was mostly just a stop-gap anyway.
HBM3 should start gaining traction by the end of 2019... I expect Next Gen to kickstart in 2020.

Thanks to having more stacks and a higher density per layer, we could be looking at double to triple the capacity of HBM2. And if things pan out, could be a drop-in replacement for HBM2.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
aLkaLiNE said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Scorpio was a reaction to the Pro?

My memory is there were some rumors of an upgraded X1 and Phil didn't really deny it, but people mocked the idea of an upgraded console. Then PS4 Pro became a thing.

So I don't know if Scropio was a response... but PS4 Pro was certainly a rushed product.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8336291

Then you have selective memory. You participated in that thread.

Rumors about iterative hardware came from Sony first, with MS following months later. Time that with the release of Pro, which is half a year ago vs Scorpio which is half a year from now. As far as Pro being thought out, well, they're the market leader. What would Sony have to gain by making a system that uses completely new tech from the Og Ps4? Not much, and they'd lose the faith of their core consumer.

What does Ms have to gain by making a system using new tech? Well, for starters, this "reboot" will allow them to rebrand themselves - something that's much more meaningful when you've lost a massive amount of marketshare to your primary competitor.

Point is the objective of each mid gen refresh is different. Sony wants to keep people in their ecosystem, MS wants to draw people into their ecosystem.

Pretty much this. People are forgetting the chronological order of events or are on purpose starting their order of events from the Scorpio reveal at E3. 

Neo rumours with specs came about early last year, Panello or someone then hinted at Scorpio months later. Pro says officially announced and then released shortly after at the end of the year. 

Sony pretty much made an affordable mid gen premium PS4 for the hardcore. 

MS on the other hand more than likely panicked on Neo news during a gen where they already are being destroyed and also lacking vr option at a time when vr was a buzz word and decided to announce early at E3 for a console that was designed as a reaction to vr buzz at the time and the Neo. 

The Scorpio in my opinion had to go heavier on specs since they didn't have their own vr headset, meaning they had to match the minimum spec requirements of the Vive and Oculus. 

In fact is such a strong reaction they are treating it like a new console launch. Like the two consoles before they've cut off exclusive games to just their key franchises and will probably focuse on games again for the Scorpio. 

Sony don't need to react. 

aLkaLiNE said:
Mr Puggsly said:

My memory is there were some rumors of an upgraded X1 and Phil didn't really deny it, but people mocked the idea of an upgraded console. Then PS4 Pro became a thing.

So I don't know if Scropio was a response... but PS4 Pro was certainly a rushed product.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8336291

Then you have selective memory. You participated in that thread.

Rumors about iterative hardware came from Sony first, with MS following months later. Time that with the release of Pro, which is half a year ago vs Scorpio which is half a year from now. As far as Pro being thought out, well, they're the market leader. What would Sony have to gain by making a system that uses completely new tech from the Og Ps4? Not much, and they'd lose the faith of their core consumer.

What does Ms have to gain by making a system using new tech? Well, for starters, this "reboot" will allow them to rebrand themselves - something that's much more meaningful when you've lost a massive amount of marketshare to your primary competitor.

Point is the objective of each mid gen refresh is different. Sony wants to keep people in their ecosystem, MS wants to draw people into their ecosystem.

Ah, I was in the thread but that wasn't the focus of the thread. Was it?

But if Scorpio is truly a response then maybe it should have launched sooner? That's the hole in the argument.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

thismeintiel said:

Qwark said:
Considering they need a console that is at least twice as powerful than a PS4 pro on all fronts and a CPU that's three times as powerful I would say 2020 is the first year such a system is affordable.

They'd have that, and more, with a Ryzen 1700 and a Vega 10. Both of those are releasing this year.  Two years worth of refinements and price cuts would definitely make it possible to stick those in a $399 machine.

OdinHades said:
Legit Leaks? Not before 2019.
Rumours from random people on Twitter? Next week.

Yea, those Twitter leaks are always fun.

Kristof81 said:

Like with every console generation, works on new gen begin right after the current release, so they're already working on PS5 for some time now. But, I don't see them announcing it until PS4 sales start slowing down. It could be next year or in five years, who knows. Considering that they want this console be on the market for at least 6 years, the earliest time when we're going to hear about PS5 will be mid-late 2018 with 2019 release date. I know that Sony originally planned PS4 with ten years life span in mind, but we all know that's not going to happen as by that time PCs will be not one but two generations ahead and game developers will be pushing Sony for the new hardware a lot.

The 10 year plan just refers to how long they plan to support it, not how long before the next system launches.

Mr Puggsly said:

The Pro isn't rushed, at all. Not like it's facing massive HW failures. As for power, they purposely designed it to just double up on the GPU to save on costs, while still being decently powerful.  It is just a mid-gen refresh, after all, not a new gen of HW. Doubt you'll be saying they could have just waited about the Scorpio if we start hearing about a much more powerful PS5 sometime next year.

I feel like saving on costs is the problem. I think PS4 Pro should have been $500 with better specs.

Would that be too expensive? Probably, but if you're going to buy a 4K TV then you probably are open to buying a $500 console that can better take advantage of it. The PS4 Pro would inevitably lower in price as well.

In the past I thought it was crucial for Scorpio to be $399. But those on budget should just buy the X1 S, which will likely be $250 when Scropio launches. It plays all the same games anyway. Scropio being $499 wouldn't matter (although I do hope its $399), it should focus on power, its a niche device. PS4 Pro is a niche device as well because the standard PS4 plays the same games for a lower price.

We're talking about when PS5 is going to happen because Sony didn't push enough power in the PS4 Pro, people want a more powerful device.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Credible rumors started appearing for PS4 around summer to late 2012 for the PS4, then known as PS Orbis if u recall. The fact it was gonna use an AMD APU with 8 cores and Radeon graphics was leaked.

I bet summer 2018 is when we'll hear rumors about PS5, provided it's slated for Holiday 2019.

Sony will be looking at how much Scorpio (and Switch) is impacting PS4 sales and base their release schedule on that.

TBH i hope not too soon. happy with the original ps4 specs.

it be cool if next gen was like 20TFLOPS or something. Surely by then they will be able to guarantee 60fp for 1080p and even 4K???? Also it will be a good grunt increase for the Virtual games.