By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Now That The Scorpio Specs Are Revealed How Long Til PS5 "Leaks?"

When Will We Get PS5 Leaks?

Shortly Before The Scorpio Launches 45 10.07%

Shortly After The Scorpio Luanches (2017) 13 2.91%

Early-Mid 2018 83 18.57%

Late 2018 163 36.47%

PS5 Isn't Launching Til 2021 143 31.99%

Total:447

I found the inverted comma's around 'leak' so funny. I can just imagine papers fall out of Mark Ceny's back pocket on a random street in Tokyo that just so happens to be Famitsu headquaters.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

I think we will start hearing about the PS5 in late 2018 since it'll come out in late 2019...

Qwark said:
Considering they need a console that is at least twice as powerful than a PS4 pro on all fronts and a CPU that's three times as powerful I would say 2020 is the first year such a system is affordable.

They'd have that, and more, with a Ryzen 1700 and a Vega 10. Both of those are releasing this year.  Two years worth of refinements and price cuts would definitely make it possible to stick those in a $399 machine.

OdinHades said:
Legit Leaks? Not before 2019.
Rumours from random people on Twitter? Next week.

Yea, those Twitter leaks are always fun.

Kristof81 said:

Like with every console generation, works on new gen begin right after the current release, so they're already working on PS5 for some time now. But, I don't see them announcing it until PS4 sales start slowing down. It could be next year or in five years, who knows. Considering that they want this console be on the market for at least 6 years, the earliest time when we're going to hear about PS5 will be mid-late 2018 with 2019 release date. I know that Sony originally planned PS4 with ten years life span in mind, but we all know that's not going to happen as by that time PCs will be not one but two generations ahead and game developers will be pushing Sony for the new hardware a lot.

The 10 year plan just refers to how long they plan to support it, not how long before the next system launches.

Mr Puggsly said:
The Fury said:

This.... surprised it's not an option in the poll. Especially as the Scorpio is a reaction to Pro in reality.

2020 seems fair. I will adopt a year later like I have been with all gens. :P

2019 is too early (only 6 years), last get was 7 years, with the upgrade mid gen it's likely to be later rather than sooner now.

Scorpio was a reaction to the Pro?

My memory is there were some rumors of an upgraded X1 and Phil didn't really deny it, but people mocked the idea of an upgraded console. Then PS4 Pro became a thing.

So I don't know if Scropio was a response... but PS4 Pro was certainly a rushed product.

The Pro isn't rushed, at all. Not like it's facing massive HW failures. As for power, they purposely designed it to just double up on the GPU to save on costs, while still being decently powerful.  It is just a mid-gen refresh, after all, not a new gen of HW. Doubt you'll be saying they could have just waited about the Scorpio if we start hearing about a much more powerful PS5 sometime next year.

Somewhere around '19 to '21. Sony doesn't really need to do anything but keep releasing games like they've been since their console is selling so well.

Sony had a full year to prepare for a better and stronger PS4 Pro revision. E3 may hold some big surprises.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
The Fury said:

This.... surprised it's not an option in the poll. Especially as the Scorpio is a reaction to Pro in reality.

2020 seems fair. I will adopt a year later like I have been with all gens. :P

2019 is too early (only 6 years), last get was 7 years, with the upgrade mid gen it's likely to be later rather than sooner now.

Scorpio was a reaction to the Pro?

My memory is there were some rumors of an upgraded X1 and Phil didn't really deny it, but people mocked the idea of an upgraded console. Then PS4 Pro became a thing.

So I don't know if Scropio was a response... but PS4 Pro was certainly a rushed product.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8336291

Then you have selective memory. You participated in that thread.

Rumors about iterative hardware came from Sony first, with MS following months later. Time that with the release of Pro, which is half a year ago vs Scorpio which is half a year from now. As far as Pro being thought out, well, they're the market leader. What would Sony have to gain by making a system that uses completely new tech from the Og Ps4? Not much, and they'd lose the faith of their core consumer.

What does Ms have to gain by making a system using new tech? Well, for starters, this "reboot" will allow them to rebrand themselves - something that's much more meaningful when you've lost a massive amount of marketshare to your primary competitor.

Point is the objective of each mid gen refresh is different. Sony wants to keep people in their ecosystem, MS wants to draw people into their ecosystem.

so many variable, and its during these times i miss Ken Kutaragi the most, he always thought out of the box in terms of hardware yeah sure he CELL almost killed Sony but still.

Anyways I dont think anyone will argue Cerny will be the architect for PS5 as well and its probably underdevelopment right now also probably AMD and Sony are working on designing the next custom APU based on Zen architecture and vega and they will have certain Teraflops target I assume 12 tf. Probably will move away from GDDR5 ram and will go with DDR4, by that time it will be more main stream and cheaper.. Dont think GDDR5x will show up due to cost factor. anything above 12gb will be overkill, improving bandwith will be the focus here.

The main thing I think both next xbox will playstation will have is Dual storage system, 120gb UFS/SSD/M2 as a scratch disk of sort, which will significantly improve loading times and improve streaming in open world games. and other will be normal 2tb mechanical drive for storing games and media.

But before I conclude I m pretty sure Sony world wide studio is currently developing their current games for PS5 as well, and I wont be surprised if the next The Last of US Part 2, Death Stranding, and Horizon zero Dawn 2 will be the first years title for PS5 as well as for PS4.

OH abt the OT i think we will start hearing rumor around the time of scorpio release. which is by the end of this year.

Sony will wait and see how the Scorpio does. No sense rushing when the PS4 Pro is a very good system that will cost less. Sony essentially put a stop gap in between the PS4 pro and Scorpio. The Pro will get a price drop right around the time the Scorpio goes on sale. If the Scorpio looks like it does good then Sony will release information on a PS5. I bet they already have a roadmap in line with AMD releases for future consoles based on sales and competition. Hell the Xbone is pretty much irrelevant at this point anyway.

etking said:
Sony had a full year to prepare for a better and stronger PS4 Pro revision. E3 may hold some big surprises.

The only thing I expect from a Pro revision is a smaller form factor and maybe a UHD Bluray player. Other than that, I doubt they'll touch the specs any.

taus90 said:

so many variable, and its during these times i miss Ken Kutaragi the most, he always thought out of the box in terms of hardware yeah sure he CELL almost killed Sony but still.

Anyways I dont think anyone will argue Cerny will be the architect for PS5 as well and its probably underdevelopment right now also probably AMD and Sony are working on designing the next custom APU based on Zen architecture and vega and they will have certain Teraflops target I assume 12 tf. Probably will move away from GDDR5 ram and will go with DDR4, by that time it will be more main stream and cheaper.. Dont think GDDR5x will show up due to cost factor. anything above 12gb will be overkill, improving bandwith will be the focus here.

The main thing I think both next xbox will playstation will have is Dual storage system, 120gb UFS/SSD/M2 as a scratch disk of sort, which will significantly improve loading times and improve streaming in open world games. and other will be normal 2tb mechanical drive for storing games and media.

But before I conclude I m pretty sure Sony world wide studio is currently developing their current games for PS5 as well, and I wont be surprised if the next The Last of US Part 2, Death Stranding, and Horizon zero Dawn 2 will be the first years title for PS5 as well as for PS4.

OH abt the OT i think we will start hearing rumor around the time of scorpio release. which is by the end of this year.

I doubt they'll use DDR4 for the RAM.  Well, maybe a couple GBs could be used for the OS, but I don't believe anyone is using it for GPUs.  I think Sony will use HBM2, which AMD uses in their higher end GPUs.

Dark_Feanor said:
We don't know yet if AMD will use Ryzen as the base for their next gen mobile APUs. Or how much of its advantages will cary over a low powered system.

Jaguar had very little to do with AMD's PC CPUs and won over 4 different designs, it was a great success.

And we couldn't ignore NVidia just yet. They have their pockets full and have not hide their desire to join the party once again.

Ryzen will be used in AMD's next gen APU's.

Jaguar was meant for Small-Form-Factor PC's, Netbooks, Low-End Desktops, Laptops and Tablets.
It's an evolutionary update over Bobcat and was replaced by Puma and Puma+. (Aka. Beema, Mullins and Carizzo-L.)
It was never AMD's mainstream or high-end chip.

AMD will likely give an update to it's Cat cores which should hit lower powerlevels than Zen, AMD has finite resources though, so it might take a little time, but it's overdue as Puma+ released a couple years ago now.

thismeintiel said:

The Pro isn't rushed, at all. Not like it's facing massive HW failures. As for power, they purposely designed it to just double up on the GPU to save on costs, while still being decently powerful.  It is just a mid-gen refresh, after all, not a new gen of HW. Doubt you'll be saying they could have just waited about the Scorpio if we start hearing about a much more powerful PS5 sometime next year.

The Playstation 4 Pro could have been executed a little better though. Having different performance "modes" isn't the most ideal approach.

taus90 said:

Anyways I dont think anyone will argue Cerny will be the architect for PS5 as well and its probably underdevelopment right now also probably AMD and Sony are working on designing the next custom APU based on Zen architecture and vega and they will have certain Teraflops target I assume 12 tf.

Dear lord. I hope it's not Zen and Vega for next gen, they will be outdated and slow by the time next gen starts.

taus90 said:

Probably will move away from GDDR5 ram and will go with DDR4, by that time it will be more main stream and cheaper.. Dont think GDDR5x will show up due to cost factor. anything above 12gb will be overkill, improving bandwith will be the focus here.

"Improving bandwidth will be the focus here". - But then you support the idea that DDR4 will replace GDDR5 or GDDR5X? You do realise at the same clockrate and bus width that GDDR5X and GDDR5X has twice the bandwidth, right?

12GB will not be enough for next gen. 16GB at a minimum. If stacked DRAM gains momentum over the next few years, don't be surprised to see 24-32GB.

taus90 said:

I hope both Microsoft and Sony have a small TLC NAND drive to reduce console costs... But then allow for additional mechanical drives on top of it for higher tiered consoles.
Microsoft has shown it can seamlessly combine multiple storage mediums.

thismeintiel said:

I think Sony will use HBM2, which AMD uses in their higher end GPUs.

HBM2 should be replaced by then.

The PC space moves fast. You can't expect today's technology to be the standard in 3 years time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--