By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Now That The Scorpio Specs Are Revealed How Long Til PS5 "Leaks?"

When Will We Get PS5 Leaks?

Shortly Before The Scorpio Launches 45 10.07%

Shortly After The Scorpio Luanches (2017) 13 2.91%

Early-Mid 2018 83 18.57%

Late 2018 163 36.47%

PS5 Isn't Launching Til 2021 143 31.99%

Total:447
Cobretti2 said:
TBH i hope not too soon. happy with the original ps4 specs.

it be cool if next gen was like 20TFLOPS or something. Surely by then they will be able to guarantee 60fp for 1080p and even 4K???? Also it will be a good grunt increase for the Virtual games.

It really would...even going from 1.8TFLOPS of PS4 to 14-15TFLOPS (in GCN1 FLOPS) is just jumping as from PS360 to PS4, but what most people seem to forget is that 720p to 1080p was 2.25x in pixels, and 1080p to 4K UHD is 4x.

But I honestly doubt they will wait for such tech to get cheap enough.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
aLkaLiNE said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8336291

Then you have selective memory. You participated in that thread.

Rumors about iterative hardware came from Sony first, with MS following months later. Time that with the release of Pro, which is half a year ago vs Scorpio which is half a year from now. As far as Pro being thought out, well, they're the market leader. What would Sony have to gain by making a system that uses completely new tech from the Og Ps4? Not much, and they'd lose the faith of their core consumer.

What does Ms have to gain by making a system using new tech? Well, for starters, this "reboot" will allow them to rebrand themselves - something that's much more meaningful when you've lost a massive amount of marketshare to your primary competitor.

Point is the objective of each mid gen refresh is different. Sony wants to keep people in their ecosystem, MS wants to draw people into their ecosystem.

Ah, I was in the thread but that wasn't the focus of the thread. Was it?

But if Scorpio is truly a response then maybe it should have launched sooner? That's the hole in the argument.

Uh, that actually supports his argument.  If MS didn't really have any plans for a mid-gen upgrade, but heard Sony was releasing one, it would take them a year longer to release their own.  Common sense.  If they had already been working on it as long as Sony had, then most likely it would have launched the same year.  They've "announced" it twice, now, but we have yet to see the actual console itself.  They definitely started later than Sony.

Mr Puggsly said:
thismeintiel said:

They'd have that, and more, with a Ryzen 1700 and a Vega 10. Both of those are releasing this year.  Two years worth of refinements and price cuts would definitely make it possible to stick those in a $399 machine.

Yea, those Twitter leaks are always fun.

The 10 year plan just refers to how long they plan to support it, not how long before the next system launches.

The Pro isn't rushed, at all. Not like it's facing massive HW failures. As for power, they purposely designed it to just double up on the GPU to save on costs, while still being decently powerful.  It is just a mid-gen refresh, after all, not a new gen of HW. Doubt you'll be saying they could have just waited about the Scorpio if we start hearing about a much more powerful PS5 sometime next year.

I feel like saving on costs is the problem. I think PS4 Pro should have been $500 with better specs.

Would that be too expensive? Probably, but if you're going to buy a 4K TV then you probably are open to buying a $500 console that can better take advantage of it. The PS4 Pro would inevitably lower in price as well.

In the past I thought it was crucial for Scorpio to be $399. But those on budget should just buy the X1 S, which will likely be $250 when Scropio launches. It plays all the same games anyway. Scropio being $499 wouldn't matter (although I do hope its $399), it should focus on power, its a niche device. PS4 Pro is a niche device as well because the standard PS4 plays the same games for a lower price.

We're talking about when PS5 is going to happen because Sony didn't push enough power in the PS4 Pro, people want a more powerful device.

Saving costs was the right way to go.  Especially for a mid-gen console with no exclusives.  It'll allow the Pro to drop in price quicker, which will push it to creeping closer to being 30%-40% of all PS4's sold.  That ratio will probably go up further once it hits $199-$249.  If you shoot too high, and price it at $499, then an extremely small number will buy it.  Sure, you may make a profit off of each one sold, but you'll never get those R&D losses covered.  If the Pro is weaker, yet sells 10M+ more than the Scorpio, that's a much better outcome than having the spec bragging rights for 1-2 years while you sell a couple of million units.  And trust me, the Xbox division needs this to be a success.  I doubt they want any more funding cut from their division.

And no, we're talking about the PS5 specs because this gen is actually in its last half.  There's a pretty damn good shot we are going to start hearing about it next year.

Turkish said:
Credible rumors started appearing for PS4 around summer to late 2012 for the PS4, then known as PS Orbis if u recall. The fact it was gonna use an AMD APU with 8 cores and Radeon graphics was leaked.

I bet summer 2018 is when we'll hear rumors about PS5, provided it's slated for Holiday 2019.

Sony will be looking at how much Scorpio (and Switch) is impacting PS4 sales and base their release schedule on that.

I think 2019 was the plan all along.  3 years for the OG PS4 to be on the market by itself, then 3 years for the Pro to be on the market.  I don't think they would have changed that.  However, I do believe that if the Scorpio had been more powerful and seemed closer to a next gen system, they would have changed their announcement schedule.  Some controlled leaks this holiday, just to hint that the PS5 is going to blow the Scorpio out of the water, power-wise.  Then, announce at E3 2018, with the same Holiday 2019 launch.  As it is, though, I think we'll just start seeing the normal leaks we usually get about a 1 1/2 years or so before launch.  Probably the same early announcement we saw with the PS4, in 2019, with a release in Nov of that year.

Cobretti2 said:
TBH i hope not too soon. happy with the original ps4 specs.

it be cool if next gen was like 20TFLOPS or something. Surely by then they will be able to guarantee 60fp for 1080p and even 4K???? Also it will be a good grunt increase for the Virtual games.

For a 20+Tflops GPU, we'd probably be waiting til 2020, maybe 2021.  The problem with that, though, is consoles are always a couple years behind in tech, especialy when it comes to GPUs, mainly because one is set upon while the PC GPU space continues to evolve each year.  It also allows the costs of those GPUs to drop before the system needs to be mass-produced.  But, that means it wouldn't be until 2022-2023 til we got a PS5.  Sony isn't waiting that long.  Maybe in a PS5 Pro, we'll get one of AMD's next GPU family, the Navi.

There is an outside shot that if AMD gets the Vega 20 out in time (it's planned for release next year), Sony may use it.  That's a 15+Tflops GPU.  Which would probably make it 13.5-14Tflops in a PS5 if Sony pares it down.

It will take a while to hear about PS5. Scorpio doesn't look like a big threat to the PS4.

My 8th gen collection

Mr Puggsly said:
aLkaLiNE said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8336291

Then you have selective memory. You participated in that thread.

Rumors about iterative hardware came from Sony first, with MS following months later. Time that with the release of Pro, which is half a year ago vs Scorpio which is half a year from now. As far as Pro being thought out, well, they're the market leader. What would Sony have to gain by making a system that uses completely new tech from the Og Ps4? Not much, and they'd lose the faith of their core consumer.

What does Ms have to gain by making a system using new tech? Well, for starters, this "reboot" will allow them to rebrand themselves - something that's much more meaningful when you've lost a massive amount of marketshare to your primary competitor.

Point is the objective of each mid gen refresh is different. Sony wants to keep people in their ecosystem, MS wants to draw people into their ecosystem.

But if Scorpio is truly a response then maybe it should have launched sooner? That's the hole in the argument.

Not to mention that link posted was just an interview where some Sony guy said an upgraded PS4 was possible, this was before Neo rumors even started. It was related to VR. 

Scorpio took longer because it wasn't rushed, like the Pro was. The specs and features planned for Scorpio speak for themselves.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Not to mention that link posted was just an interview where some Sony guy said an upgraded PS4 was possible, this was before Neo rumors even started. It was related to VR. 

Scorpio took longer because it wasn't rushed, like the Pro was. The specs and features planned for Scorpio speak for themselves.

If it makes you sleep better at night, go right ahead and think that.  The rumor mill and release dates speak for themselves. 

And specs speak for themselves?  One year later and still using Jaguar?  Guess they had to wait a year for that tech to come out.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Some Sony guy? Yeah the VP of SCEI isn't just some Sony guy. He's one of the top dogs of their Tech branch. And, actually, I just translated that source article and PSVR is one of dozens of things the interview goes over. They explicitly talk about adopting x86 and how they can now execute on a plan that they had since PS3 - iterative hardware. I think at that point they couldn't point blank say "we are building a more powerful iteration" due to an obligation to shareholders as well as maintaining a competitive edge in the market, but it's strongly suggested and VP Ito entertains the idea with the interviewer as he talks about how it's good for the consumer to have this kind of strategy.  There's a few other revelations in that very insightful interview about what may be coming in the future for PlayStation as well. Google translate won't let me copy/paste, but if you go back to the source interview I linked where it's in Japanese it can be entirely copied into translate. It's the second set of 5,000 characters, right after they finish talking about Dolby Atmos, DTS:X  and 3D audio.

Also how was the Pro rushed? If Sony wanted iterative hardware since the PS3 days then they very clearly have been planning the Pro for a while. The architecture is a testament to that.

thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

If it makes you sleep better at night, go right ahead and think that.  The rumor mill and release dates speak for themselves. 

And specs speak for themselves?  One year later and still using Jaguar?  Guess they had to wait a year for that tech to come out.

Hush. He may realize that tech improves over time and, as a result, it's possible to build something more powerful than what came before for basically the same price... 

We wouldn't want that. Just let him do his usual downplay of Sony.

Hynad said:
thismeintiel said:

Hush. He may realize that tech improves over time and, as a result, it's possible to build something more powerful than what came before for basically the same price... 

Yes, sir. 

Hynad said:
thismeintiel said:

Yeah, as if the opinion that the Pro is a lackluster upgrade or the fact that the games have problems hitting consistent resolutions or performance is "downplaying". More like "reality" :)

Super sampling on Pro is a game by game possibility (and even when your game supports it, SS could make the game run worse, like TLoU before ND removed SS). Non 4k owners will get that benefit by default on all games with Scorpio. This is one of the features MS was able to work on and get right by taking their time, along with those beasty specs. 

Downplaying, LOL :)

LudicrousSpeed said:
Hynad said:

Yeah, as if the opinion that the Pro is a lackluster upgrade or the fact that the games have problems hitting consistent resolutions or performance is "downplaying". More like "reality" :)

Super sampling on Pro is a game by game possibility (and even when your game supports it, SS could make the game run worse, like TLoU before ND removed SS). Non 4k owners will get that benefit by default on all games with Scorpio. This is one of the features MS was able to work on and get right by taking their time, along with those beasty specs. 

Downplaying, LOL :)

Oh ludicrous :) you are completely wrong :) Scorpio doesn't have system wide super sampling. It will only super sample games that have 4K assets or games that are patched to support it :) so it will be a game by game possibility on Scorpio too, according to Windows central :) the only features Scorpio will offer to retroactive titles without a 4K patch or 4K assets is hitting full HD for dynamic resolution (no mention of better resolution for games that are 900p locked) and hitting closer to locked framerates or a frame rate up to 60fps for games that were uncapped :) I would say that sounds a lot like PS4 boost mode :)

http://m.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio-supersampling-for-1080p-tvs

Update April 8th, 2017: Speaking on Major Nelson's podcast (at 20:29), Xbox's Albert Penello confirmed that Project Scorpio will provide enhanced graphics on 1080p sets using 4K supersampling, as detailed below. Scorpio's enhanced textures, anti-aliasing, and so on, will be compressed down to 1080p screens, providing a superior experience on games patched to take advantage of Scorpio's GPU power.

But do go on :)