By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Now that Yooka Laylee is essentially a critical failure... this is good time for Banjo Three!

They are where they belong. Microsoft wouldn't let them be who they need to be. Same reason bungie left them. Microsoft is like activision or EA, in that they will get you working for them and focus on one of their franchises forever. There is no growth. The game wasn't bad enough to where they need to go back. I'd be curious about a relationship with Nintendo though based on their development process. Dont get me wrong, because  Ori is great. Its this generations great 2D platformer though.

Around the Network

What individual platformer / n64 Era game hasn't failed? Indie games these days are all about Inside, Braid etc. Nobody cares for traditional platformer.

foodfather said:
What individual platformer / n64 Era game hasn't failed? Indie games these days are all about Inside, Braid etc. Nobody cares for traditional platformer.

Mario Odyssey wont fail, and Rachet and Clank sold pretty well. Based on audiences Nintendo attracts the most platform gamers, Sony second and Microsoft last.  People care about traditional platformers, but you have to sell them on the right platform. If they dont sell exclusively on one, they must go multiplat, no different than Yooka Lay Lee.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
foodfather said:

Mario Odyssey wont fail, and Rachet and Clank sold pretty well. Based on audiences Nintendo attracts the most platform gamers, Sony second and Microsoft last.  People care about traditional platformers, but you have to sell them on the right platform. If they dont sell exclusively on one, they must go multiplat, no different than Yooka Lay Lee.

Ori must've been a failure to you uh? Good and popular games sell well regardless of platform.

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:
If i was MS I would stay well away from them. They just failed to make a good game. MS failed to shift many XB1s with much better devs like insomniac and crystal dynamics. Some even failed to get their game done like platinum games. Hiring a B-tier indie dev will be a waste of time and I can't see MS doing it.

Many predicted KI would suck because of the studio working on it, a B-tier team... but that turned out pretty good.

I actually have more faith in Playtonic now. Why? Because there are good things about Yooka Laylee and they can learn from their failures in that game. Look at Uncharted 1, its not a great game. But the games after that showed ND learned from their mistakes.

Now the stuff I bolded, typical off the topic console war BS from you. With that logic MS shouldn't fund any game, don't bother talking to me with this crap.

Lol uncharted 1 was a sold 8.5/10 and had super long legs because of awesome word of mouth.  Don't compare that to Yooka Laylee. 

You're entitled to your opinion but me and many others here disagree with your opinion.  And I've a funny feeling MS do too. 

Around the Network
SnakeDrake said:
Yooka Laylee, Banjo kazooie

What's next? Flutiee tooie

Nope, it's gonna be Ooka Reenie

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

etking said:

Why should it be a critical failure, 7 is a good score. The only review score that really counts is the user score made by the backers. And all Rare games were delayed multiple times by Nintendo to improve the quality, because resources were unlimited. If MS funds the game if will get an even lower score because it will have to be rushed.

And I don't think the old plattformers were overrated, games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie they are still among the best games I played in my entire life.

I dunno, I don't want a doctor who scored a 7/10 on his finals.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Ori must've been a failure to you uh? Good and popular games sell well regardless of platform.

Not at all, but he was talking about the old generations. Ori and the blind forest is an indie title and it was great regardless of what it sold. Based on old generation sales, high tier platformers sold better on other platforms. When Xbox Live Arcade first started Microsoft started priming their base for more diverse indie games and everyone else followed suit because inn the past 2d and 3D platformers were always on Playstation and Nintendo (not to exclude Sega).

Just activated my Steam key, I am really hyped for this game. The bad score is actually a good sign because I hate modern games and did not like BotW.

Rubbish or my game of the year, soon I can tell.

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Many predicted KI would suck because of the studio working on it, a B-tier team... but that turned out pretty good.

I actually have more faith in Playtonic now. Why? Because there are good things about Yooka Laylee and they can learn from their failures in that game. Look at Uncharted 1, its not a great game. But the games after that showed ND learned from their mistakes.

Now the stuff I bolded, typical off the topic console war BS from you. With that logic MS shouldn't fund any game, don't bother talking to me with this crap.

Lol uncharted 1 was a sold 8.5/10 and had super long legs because of awesome word of mouth.  Don't compare that to Yooka Laylee. 

You're entitled to your opinion but me and many others here disagree with your opinion.  And I've a funny feeling MS do too. 

I don't care what Uncharted scored or what it sold well when there was a lack of PS3 games. Its not a game people remember fondly and the successors improved greatly.

MS has funded games with less potential than Banjo Three. That's not an opinion and this is an opportunity for some fan service.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)