By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I need your advice: I love a girl but she doesn't play video games

If you're otherwise happy and this is a relatively new feeling (about gaming, I mean), give it some time before acting. When you're sure it's not a passing feeling, just do whatever feels the best. Just keep in mind that the grass might not be greener on the other side of the fence either. It's easy to forget but something that you should still keep in mind.

Around the Network

There's a quote from Seinfeld I like that fits me pretty well. "I can't date me...I hate me!"

Personally, I would never want to date someone that has my exact same interests, because not only do I find it really boring, but it means that person also probably has same faults I do. I like the opposites attract adage because of the complementary aspect. You don't want to double up on your respective strengths and weaknesses, you likely want someone to complement your personality to make up for what you lack. And vice versa.

For your situation, I wouldn't let it be a deal-breaker unless it's something she can't put up with. Personal experience has shown me this really doesn't make much of a difference in forming a happy relationship.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Drop her immediately. Preferably move to Poland. That's where I met my girlfriend she loves cooking and playing games. We were playing Mario kart the other day ;)

the fact that you're seriously considering a HOBBY like video games a threat to your relationship with her and feel uncertain enough about you+her to make a thread like this... suggests you clearly don't dig her THAT much.

when you know you know. as far as feelings are concerned. obviously it is extremely regular for people to have hobbies that their loves ones don't. If you spent a ton of your free time knitting and she wasn't into knitting would that magically be an issue? you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. A big percentage of husbands/boyfriends don't really dig shopping yet their other halves might shop constantly. Is the implication that they can't be copasetic because they don't share that 'major' hobby? come on now.

Lets say she decided the same thing for one of her hobbies, like maybe shopping for $60 clothes and makeup as much as you spend on games. I don't think either of those things being separate is a big problem.

Around the Network

Mine's not much into gaming either, though she was playing on her Smartphone before I met her.

Then I brought along Just Dance as a way to exercise since she was complaining about her weight. Since then we're having some small gaming sessions together, especially Nintendoland, Wii Sports and Smash Bros.

Babysteps, guys.

I just have to find friends to come over. I forgot to mention that I moved and am very choosy. I realize I confused the two things. It's overly idealistic to have one girl meet all needs.

If she likes the same games as you, she'll be playing them instead of you because women always get their way.

Unless you want to be fucking your hand for the rest of your life you probably are going to find out (the hard way) that you're not going to get everything you want.

I'd say the majority of grown women don't enjoy playing video games in any serious way. It's not the end of the world. How many guys here like shopping for purses and women's shoes and trying out 50 different combinations of clothes and then hitting up the fragrance section? No, didn't think so.

The woman in your life is not there to like all the video games you like, and all the sports you like, and all the music you like. That's called your "bro", your best (guy) friend, these are two different things. Don't confuse them. 

Does it really matter? Most couples don't share the exact same hobbies.

As long as she doesn't bitch about you being a gamer, that's good enough.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)