By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I need your advice: I love a girl but she doesn't play video games

My girl plays the PS and I play the Xbox and we get along just fine.

Mostly.

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
Here is my advice: Check the threat title for spelling errors

I took your advice thx 

in a mature relationship... people need their "me" time... playing video game fall in that category....

unless she doesn't like to have her "me" time... which some people do.

Would you survive having her around 24/7? if your answer is yes... then make sure she is ok of having your own space or time for yourself, doing what you like...

Not having all the same interests is in general better than having all the same interests, you can talk about games and play games with your palls anyway. A relationship is much like an organism tend to it well and it's great, but like every organism it needs some air and games are exactly that. Now if she's going to make a problem out of that, well when that time comes it might be good to discuss gaming. But at this moment I wouldn't do anything about it. But if you want to game with your GF perhaps you can play (pars of) TLOU together for the story. If you want to show that games can have great stories and realistic characters.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

You don't have to share all of the same interests / hobbies to have a good relationship. In fact, time alone in your own world is a healthy thing. But you do have to accept that each person needs their own space once in awhile and you should never neglect each other's needs. It's a balance, as with everything else in life.

Around the Network

That could always change in time. When you fall in love with someone - the truth is that they change you. Think of the kind of excitement and joy you could maybe bring into her life by really introducing gaming proper to her. Eventually, she'll bring something new into your life that you didn't expect -but you enjoy anyway.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if it didn't happen though. With a relationship, there's bigger things at stake than whether or not you share an interest.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I have two friends. Both usually play video games after work. Dota 2 or some random Steam games. Both play in the same room their GFs watch TV or do whatever in. Neither of their GF play video games besides the occasional Wii/Nintendo stuff. Both are happy as can be.

To them, its better than going out for happy hours or going out on the weekends constantly.   And it is what they both prefer.  

John2290 said:
Also, from your OP, I'm sorry to say but you don't seem to have a firm grasp on what you want yourself in life which is the platform you're going to base all this on. Do whatever feels right, don't google advice, give into base desire and don't take it as the end of the world if you fuck up, fucking up brings experience and more inner strength and direction.

Thanks. I'd say you are right. Figuring out how my base desires fit in with reality is a challenge. I am getting more in touch with my true self and it's getting easier. My definition of love includes not having to sacrifice my passion to spend time with my lover but rather have a lover who shares that passion. This just doesn't fit with reality often enough and google, plus you all, helped me see why. I take extra caution because I'm eradic and I easily dismiss norms. 

numberwang said:
snyps said:

I'm worried though that I would be more in love with someone that did like playing my favorite games.

How old are you? Do you want to live together with this woman?

good point. One thing found out is that we are only discussing ourselves in the present moment. Maybe love doesn't have to mean long term. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. 

To the OP:

No offense dude, but your post comes off like a eHarmony.com or something. All that "dating site" lingo that is, quite frankly, mostly BS.

"Compatibility" is important, yes. But so are common interests. If you have OTHER common passions/interests that you share, even though she's not into video games, then you still have something you can like together. But having NOTHING in common, no common interests, is soul crushing, and does not make a good relationship, trust me.

But honestly, you really should not be asking advice from Google and shit like that. No one else can really help you find your way through a relationship. You have to communicate, openly and honestly, and find your way together.