By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Switch launch numbers are meaningless

EricHiggin said:

You have to ask yourself as well, what does this mean for NiN's handheld user base though? What about those users that don't want a Switch but want something more along the lines of a 3DS? If NiN doesn't make another dedicated handheld, does that mean PS or MS can make a new handheld and take over that market? Would a Vita successor, who's sales comprised of previous Vita owners, 3DS owners, etc, be considered a success considering it wouldn't have any competition whatsoever because Switch is a hybrid console and not a handheld? If NiN does make another handheld to compete, does that now split their user base and no longer mean success?

we can safely say that the majority of people bought a 3DS for the software and not the hardware so the change in form factor really should have little to no negative affect on sales. We can also see that pretty much the entire expanded audience of casual gamers who bought a DS did not return for 3DS so another huge decline because of mobile gaming impact is not likely to happen again.

Basically that means that pretty much everybody who bought a 3DS did so for the big games it recieved like Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, 2D/3D Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc.

Based on this, we should be able to conclude that as long as Switch recieves mainline entries in most of the big 3DS franchises than a very large percentage of the userbase should return.

As for your question about a PS/XB handheld to steal the market from Nintendo, you are making up what if scenarios that we know are not going to happen so its pointless to even use that as an argument.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

we can safely say that the majority of people bought a 3DS for the software and not the hardware so the change in form factor really should have little to no negative affect on sales. We can also see that pretty much the entire expanded audience of casual gamers who bought a DS did not return for 3DS so another huge decline because of mobile gaming impact is not likely to happen again.

Basically that means that pretty much everybody who bought a 3DS did so for the big games it recieved like Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, 2D/3D Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc.

Based on this, we should be able to conclude that as long as Switch recieves mainline entries in most of the big 3DS franchises than a very large percentage of the userbase should return.

As for your question about a PS/XB handheld to steal the market from Nintendo, you are making up what if scenarios that we know are not going to happen so its pointless to even use that as an argument.

Those what if scenario's hold merit to some degree because they aren't much different than your "what if NiN only sells Switch from now on and stops selling dedicated mobile handhelds" statement. You don't know that is going to happen more than anybody else. NiN has always innovated its consoles. but also sold handhelds, so why stop now just because Switch can be used as both? Its not the best console/handheld it could be, because of the hybrid design. It has its benefits but also its downsides.

Nintendo even said years ago, that NX could be just one device, and if that single device sold well enough then they could focus on just that sole device going forward, but If it wasn't enough, then they would have to make multiple devices. Until we know how well Switch is selling over a period of time, especially against PS and XB hardware this upcoming holiday season, no one can be sure whether Switch will end up being a lone wolf or not.

There are people who think Switch is too expensive or just too big for a handheld only. Your telling me if PS made a new handheld, that was able to fit that smaller/cheaper space, and had enough games, that consumers wouldn't purchase it instead? NiN's games hold value and are a draw for some customers, but they aren't everything. It's like me buying my PS4. I was on the fence on whether to buy the PS4 or XB1, and the reason that put me over the edge was simply that all my friends bought PS4's. While I miss some of the XB1 exclusives, I also enjoy some of the PS4 exclusives, but they weren't the deciding factor. Many people buy their system for many different reasons. Being so sure about your user base returning just because "you're the best", is what leads to situations like the 360 giving PS3 a run for its money, and PS4 absolutely walking all over XB1.

EricHiggin said:
zorg1000 said:

Those what if scenario's hold merit to some degree because they aren't much different than your "what if NiN only sells Switch from now on and stops selling dedicated mobile handhelds" statement. You don't know that is going to happen more than anybody else. NiN has always innovated its consoles. but also sold handhelds, so why stop now just because Switch can be used as both? Its not the best console/handheld it could be, because of the hybrid design. It has its benefits but also its downsides.

Nintendo even said years ago, that NX could be just one device, and if that single device sold well enough then they could focus on just that sole device going forward, but If it wasn't enough, then they would have to make multiple devices. Until we know how well Switch is selling over a period of time, especially against PS and XB hardware this upcoming holiday season, no one can be sure whether Switch will end up being a lone wolf or not.

There are people who think Switch is too expensive or just too big for a handheld only. Your telling me if PS made a new handheld, that was able to fit that smaller/cheaper space, and had enough games, that consumers wouldn't purchase it instead? NiN's games hold value and are a draw for some customers, but they aren't everything. It's like me buying my PS4. I was on the fence on whether to buy the PS4 or XB1, and the reason that put me over the edge was simply that all my friends bought PS4's. While I miss some of the XB1 exclusives, I also enjoy some of the PS4 exclusives, but they weren't the deciding factor. Many people buy their system for many different reasons. Being so sure about your user base returning just because "you're the best", is what leads to situations like the 360 giving PS3 a run for its money, and PS4 absolutely walking all over XB1.

nope, completely different scenarios.

Mine is actually based on something, statements & actions by Nintendo themselves while yours is just a pipedream. Sony themselves said that they dont there being a market for a Vita successor and there is literally no reason to believe MS is all of a sudden going to make a portable gaming device.

no, Nintendo never said that, i think you are getting confused with them saying a unified platform could potentially offer various form factors that act as "brothers".

Sure some think its too expensive or too big for portability, thats why price cuts and revisions exist.

The rest of that paragraph is just random nonsense especially the bolded. Who said anything about being the best? I said people bought 3DS for games like Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, 2D/3D Mario, Zelda, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc. and as long as these games appear on Switch than the likelihood of the 3DS audience moving over to Switch is very high.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Mine is actually based on something, statements & actions by Nintendo themselves while yours is just a pipedream. Sony themselves said that they dont there being a market for a Vita successor and there is literally no reason to believe MS is all of a sudden going to make a portable gaming device.

no, Nintendo never said that, i think you are getting confused with them saying a unified platform could potentially offer various form factors that act as "brothers".

Sure some think its too expensive or too big for portability, thats why price cuts and revisions exist.

The rest of that paragraph is just random nonsense especially the bolded. Who said anything about being the best? I said people bought 3DS for games like Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, 2D/3D Mario, Zelda, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc. and as long as these games appear on Switch than the likelihood of the 3DS audience moving over to Switch is very high.

I watched a hilarious comedy the other day by Dave Chappelle called "The Age of Spin".  Your own version here is much more in depth, and much less funny...

EricHiggin said:
zorg1000 said:

I watched a hilarious comedy the other day by Dave Chappelle called "The Age of Spin".  Your own version here is much more in depth, and much less funny...

please explain how anything i said was spin?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
EricHiggin said:

You are better off by ignoring zorg. He drank way too much of the Nintendo kool-aid.

no, it was the Nintenbible

RolStoppable said:
EricHiggin said:

You are better off by ignoring zorg. He drank way too much of the Nintendo kool-aid.

I was starting to get that impression. I appreciate the insight. Thanks.

EricHiggin said:
RolStoppable said:

you must not know Rol very well. Hes mocking you, not me.

zorg1000 said:
EricHiggin said:

Maybe. Doesn't necessarily mean what he said wasn't true though.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

Sure thing, zorg. If that makes you feel better and helps you sleep at night, so be it.

it sure does............so you excited for the new Xbox Portable?