By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the heck did Sony manage to retake the console market again?

Cerebralbore said:
Chazore said:

So you're basically saying that if it can be played on two, then it's not somehow exclusive, despite the fact that you cannot play it on the other two systems. Also you're basing M#9 for anything that's ever been/will be funded?. Yes SC isn't out yet, but that doesn't take away the fact that it has been funded many millions, millions that put it within the AAA area.

Could you reword your first question so it's not a triple negative? I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say with it. For all I know Star Citizen could wind up being epic, and with high enough production values to put it squarely in AAA territory.

I'm asking on a game being non exclusive when it's able to be played on 2 out of the 4 systems vs a game being played on only one system out of the 4, but apparently you put so much focus on the tone of the question rather than answering it.

You tell me of negativity coming from my end, but I snesed negativity from the Star Citizen part when you sued M#9 as a prime example, yet we don't even know the end result of what will happen with SC, so using the worst case scenario didn't exactly ooze positivty either. 

Have you been watching the project over time in general, to know how it's coming along and what exactly is being put into it?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Cerebralbore said:

Could you reword your first question so it's not a triple negative? I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say with it. For all I know Star Citizen could wind up being epic, and with high enough production values to put it squarely in AAA territory.

I'm asking on a game being non exclusive when it's able to be played on 2 out of the 4 systems vs a game being played on only one system out of the 4, but apparently you put so much focus on the tone of the question rather than answering it.

You tell me of negativity coming from my end, but I snesed negativity from the Star Citizen part when you sued M#9 as a prime example, yet we don't even know the end result of what will happen with SC, so using the worst case scenario didn't exactly ooze positivty either. 

Have you been watching the project over time in general, to know how it's coming along and what exactly is being put into it?.

Sorry, I didn't mean negativity as in a bad vibe. I meant triple negative as in confusing grammar. It's a simple comparison between games that are playable on the PS4, but not playable on the PC, VS games that are playable on PC, but not PS4.

No, I haven't been paying attention at all to Star Citizen.

Edit: Link explaining what a double negative, and triple negative is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_negative

This has all been on a steady trajectory ever since the PS3 Slim launched tbh. It seems so far away but Sony was in a really shitty place prior to the 2009 combo of PS3 Slim + Uncharted 2. From there on the Sony that started the race in 2006 had evolved into the Sony that's dominating today. A huge focus and emphasis on First party and enabling their studios to pursue creative risks combined with the other two fucking it up. Sony just reasserted their rightful place on the throne.

PS4 Master Race indeed.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

mountaindewslave said:

bizarre thread. Sony never has had a particularly poor gaming generation. They number wise dominated the PS2 era (although strangely didn't make much money at the time), then even in the PS3 era where they weren't mega profitable from the PS3 it ended at, what, 90 million consoles sold?

bit of a dramatic dishonest thread. Its not really 'retaking' the market when you end the last generation in practically a 3 way tie (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3). 

and its quite obvious why they've done well this gen- only one competitor at the start (really), and the only good exclusive titles between them and Xbox (the Xbox One has been dire with exclusive games).

I think the Switch could make things more competitive but in the end its simple- most powerful system with some smart paid exclusives that people have wanted. Essentially the PS4 has pulled in the market of people who A) like gaming on the couch and B) the people who don't want to pay $1000 for a solid computer to game with 

I don't understand this shit either. I'm flabbergasted 

The Playstation never 'lost its glory', last gen was a tight competition, but selling 85M is still really impressive

As for Nintendo, they just made a lot of mistakes and didn't learn from them so the Wii U did really poorly

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
FromDK said:
You should include "home" in the headline..
If you only look at consoles it mean both home and portable consoles.. And then the claim is wrong..

Nintendo sold more consoles in all gens since 2005..

Wii/ds beat PS3/PSP
WiiU/3DS beat PS4/Vita

And now Nintendo has allready startet next gen (the console that will compete with ps..some) and will probelly also win the next..

If you only look at home consoles.. it's a bit to 2016.. now we have hybryds.. and so fare I know.. Nintendo had sold more Switch than PS4 since day one..

Wii U/3DS will not be anywhere near PS4/Vita by the end of the gen lol. PS4 is going to sell at least 85 million (I would guess it ends around 95) and obviously  the Wii U is never going to catch the Vita

Cerebralbore said:
list snipped for lengths sake

LOL @ Wasteland 2 an indie. Also, it's not exclusive. It's on Xbone and PS4. Where it retails for $40. Ignoring the amount of content and work that goes into a game because it is scalable and can be played on older hardware and labeling it an indie as such is just nonsense. And PC gaming is chock full of games like that which unlike Wasteland 2, will never come to consoles.

If your criteria for exclusive is "can be played on one platform and not the other" then why'd you even list PC and leave Xbox out?

2014: 5 exclusives 80+, I guess all but Kalimba would "count" for you.
2015: 5 exclusives 80+, all "AAA", not counting Tomb Raider since it's no longer exclusive.
2016: 5 exclusives 80+, all "AAA" but FRU, which was a fuck awesome Kinect title.
2017: 1 so far, would be 2 but Halo Wars 2 is at 79.

So it's strange to see you say "Microsoft has given up on exclusives" as if they have zero but going by your own definition, the Xbox would outclass the PC in exclusives that matter. Equally weird is you dismiss Microsoft as having given up on exclusives and yet all 11 of those exclusives that by your definition count are games they developed or published where as with the PS4 list 11 of those 19 titles are either made or developed by Sony, the rest are de facto standard Japanese exclusives Sony had nothing to do with or weird exclusives that shouldn't be on the list like uh, Arkham Knight. So 11 exclusives that matter by your definition from both Microsoft and Sony and yet Microsoft has given up on exclusives and Sony is doing a phenomenal job with them. Makes sense.

edit, my math was off, it's actually 14 exclusives that count by your definition from "given up on exclusives" Microsoft versus 11 from Sony. lol. I'm just gonna bow out of this thread.

They focused on games..... they started taking the market back in 2012, when PS3 was outselling both Wii and 360 consistently, and into 2013.... Sony went from being about on par with Microsoft with first party ip to beating Nintendo in quantity and quality.....

This gen Sony have dropped bomb after bomb of monster exclusive games, and they keep adding to their list of great ip, UNCHARTED is arguably as big as HALO

mM
KingofTrolls said:
Cobretti2 said:
Well the PS4 sold on the PROMISE of great games when in reality there wasn't that many at launch (GOOD MARKETING)

What better games were on Xbox One or Wii U for comparison ?

Wii U - late PS360 ports, Xbox One - basically the same games with sometimes much lower res. Forza 5 with one of the worst paid DLC system in game ?

the main reason was their promise of games not the few launch games it had. the line up they annouced was amazing, yet most of it come out ages after launch. As i said great marketing strategy. No one cared that they would come later they knew they were coming out on the PS4.

They played it safe, they read the market and responded with a machine that does its job and made sure that games keep rolling in and kept the whole thing priced reasonably. Nothing special, their winning back the market has very little to do with the PS4 being some incredible, amazing machine and a lot to do with MS screwing themselves out of a proper chance before they even got to the gate and Nintendo making their biggest mistakes so far, by a mile.
The PS4 took no risks and played on the complacency of the industry and market, and it worked really well for them, but doesn't make for an earth-shattering gaming experience overall.

It's basically a PS3 with better hardware and a worse main controller, and I'm just fine with that, not over the moon.