By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the heck did Sony manage to retake the console market again?

Sony turned it around within PS3's lifetime. Sony always had market preeminence over Xbox in a majority of markets in the 7th gen and ended up behind 360 only in NA and the UK in the end. PS3 also ended up ahead of Wii in a few markets. Ultimately, Sony only made one bad decision, which priced PS3 too high, and that is not fatal to a brand. Lots of brands do come back from one bad decision, even if that bad decision has consequences that last a while.

Coming to the end of the 7th gen (even before the disastrous decisions on Xb one were known) only deluded fools were predicting that Durango would do better than PS4 at the global level. Most people were picking Durango to be #1 in the USA and UK, but really no where else and it probably would have been if MS hadn't made some really stupid decisions.

It's clear that millions of console gamers always remained pretty sympathetic towards Playstation, even if they went with 360 in the 7th gen they were always well disposed towards Playstation. With Sony making almost all the right decisions with PS4, and MS making almost all the wrong decisions with Xb one, millions of gamers found it very easy to go back to a brand for which they always had a positive view.

Nokia, on the other hand, made a succession of bad decisions. The first bad decision was to try to stick it out with Symbian well past the time it was clear that Symbian was a losing bet. The second bad decision was hitching itself to Windows phone, which was already in a bad spot, and with Nokia in a steep decline in phone sales pairing a declining phone brand, with a poorly performing phone OS was a very questionable business decision. But MS was offering Nokia a lot of money, so hard to turn down.

And Nokia can still come back. Hell, I would totally buy a Nokia Android phone. Their hardware has never let me down. And even the Nokia Windows phone I was forced into for work is good from a hardware perspective. But you will never convince me that Windows phone is a great phone OS. It does the job, but that's all.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Cerebralbore said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

If you look at sales for these exclusives, seems people don't really give a crap about most of them. Or the metascore, either.

2014: Infamous
2015: Disgaea 5? Tearaway I guess, though it's a remake of a Vita game. And, Bloodborne.
2016: What counts as "AA"? Does "Score Rush Extended" count? Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4.
2017: Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Horizon, Nioh.

What am I missing that bridges this 11 vs 19 gap? Seems you're including games that are on other platforms or I am just missing some. Do some of these wonky Japanese titles count as "AA"? Wtf is AA, lol. What's the difference between say, a AA game and an indie game? Either way, the PS4 didn't get its real big heavy hitters exclusive wise until we were like.. halfway into 2016, and it had long been blowing the Xbone away in sales by that time. The sales dominance began long before any exclusives worth pointing to were out.

Your PC list seemed awfully low and this just confirms how pointless it is to argue about what counts as a "AA" title. I counted like 10 titles I would consider to be big games just in 2014 for PC, but you have 10 for 2014-2017 combined. There's really no competing with the PC when it comes to quality exclusives.

Anyway as for the question posed in the thread I'd say a combination of Sony being safe and smart plus their competition doing terrible jobs. The Wii U was a horrible console, which I say as someone who owns one, and the Xbox reveal pretty much killed the Xbox brand for this gen.

I came up with the numbers by searching gamerankings for games with at least ten reviews, that scored at 80 or higher. DLC packs, and Sports games are not counted in the totals. If a game was on XB1/PS4 but not on PC then it counted as an exclusive for PS4. The same goes for PC games that were on the XB1, but not PS4 Arkham Knight was counted as an exclusive since it was borderline unplayable on PC.

Here's the list...

PC 2017
Nothing Yet

PC 2016 3 AA or AAA Exclusives. 12 Indies.
Civ VI
Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun
Hearts of Iron

Owlboy
Stardew Valley
Pony Island
Planet Coaster
Devil Daggers
Quadrilateral Cowboy
1979 Revolution Black Friday
Duelyst
Zombie Night Terror
Tyranny
That Dragon Cancer
Offworld Trading Company

2015 3 AAA exclusives. 6 Indies.
Pillars of Eternity
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Heroes of the Storm

Undertale
Westerado Double Barrelled
The Bug Butcher
Zenzizenzic
World of Warships

2014 4 AAA exclusives. 8 Indies.
Titanfall
Galactic Civilizations III
Age of Wonders III
Wildstar

Elite Dangerous
Endless Legend
Legend of Grimrock II
Wasteland 2
Broken Age
Sunless Sea
SuperHot
Hearthstone

PS4 2017 4 AA or AAA Exclusives
Nioh
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0
Gravity Rush 2

PS4 2016 9 AA or AAA Exclusives
Uncharted 4
Odin Sphere
Ratchet and Clank
Guilty Gear REVELATOR
Dragon Quest Builders
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush Remastered
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X
Rigs: Mechanized Combat League

2015 4 AAA Exclusives
Tearaway Unfolded
Disgaea 5
Arkham Knight
Bloodborne

2014 2 AAA Exclusives
LittleBigPlanet 3
inFamous Second Son

If you can run a game on a mid range gaming PC from 2002, then it is an indie game and not a AA or AAA title.

You have a very strange way of telling us what is and isn't exclusivwe as well as setting down a guidline as to what can outright not be considered a AA or AAA based on your build as well as the game's design.

Also what about cowd funded games, you know the oens that make a ton of money, like Planet Coaster, who's funding was more than met, or Star Citizen which was funded millions upon millions.

I find your logic to be very iffy tbh.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

mutantsushi said:
To the thread premise: because the "disaster" of PS3 still resulted in outselling Xbox for the generation, despite 1 year delay.
That is just how much stronger the PS brand is on a worldwide basis, so the outcome of this gen is ABSOLUTELY NO SURPRISE.

Depending how the next few years go, it could be that PS4 fails to outsell PS3, simply because console gaming in general is on a bit of a decline. It's beyond doubt that total gen 8 hardware sales will be far far below total gen 7 hardware sales*, and only PS4 vs PS3 is in the running to be a win for the 8th gen. Scorpio could prove to be a big boost for Xbox, but I have my doubts it will be that big.

*provided you don't count Switch as 8th gen.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Chazore said:
Azuren said:

I was actually expecting a reasonable reply 

The least you could do is remain consistent within the confines of a single post. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Because they're better than the competition plus several other reasons but that's the main reason.

Around the Network
Azuren said:

The least you could do is remain consistent within the confines of a single post. 

That still didn't answer my question. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:

You have a very strange way of telling us what is and isn't exclusivwe as well as setting down a guidline as to what can outright not be considered a AA or AAA based on your build as well as the game's design.

Also what about cowd funded games, you know the oens that make a ton of money, like Planet Coaster, who's funding was more than met, or Star Citizen which was funded millions upon millions.

I find your logic to be very iffy tbh.

Can you play it on PS4, but not PC? Then it's exclusive, and vice versa. Star Citizen isn't out yet. Mighty Number 9 was funded millions too. Is that a quality game?

Cerebralbore said:

Can you play it on PS4, but not PC? Then it's exclusive, and vice versa. Star Citizen isn't out yet. Mighty Number 9 was funded millions too. Is that a quality game?

So you're basically saying that if it can be played on two, then it's not somehow exclusive, despite the fact that you cannot play it on the other two systems. Also you're basing M#9 for anything that's ever been/will be funded?. Yes SC isn't out yet, but that doesn't take away the fact that it has been funded many millions, millions that put it within the AAA area.

Chazore said:
Cerebralbore said:

So you're basically saying that if it can be played on two, then it's not somehow exclusive, despite the fact that you cannot play it on the other two systems. Also you're basing M#9 for anything that's ever been/will be funded?. Yes SC isn't out yet, but that doesn't take away the fact that it has been funded many millions, millions that put it within the AAA area.

Could you reword your first question so it's not a triple negative? I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say with it. For all I know Star Citizen could wind up being epic, and with high enough production values to put it squarely in AAA territory.

Will Switch leas Nintendo towards the same success they had before ps1 and during Wii? I hope so and I hope this time third parties start making better ports which have enough quality to sell well to the gamers. I hope Nintendo switch at the very least crosses xbox360 in sales

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also