By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2006 and 2007 Were the Years to Be A Gamer

I like 2007. But I wouldn't say gaming was that great back then

Around the Network

2007 was pretty off and slow on consoles, while on PC, games were bizarre. You mean 2005 and 2006 they were probably good one. Between 2008-2009 were good too and then in 2010 was just beginning of fall of gaming(Note, not all of them, there're good games)

Oh yeah, 97/98 is my favorite year of all time.

This gen has been great for me at least only being 17 I can't remember 2007 that well back then I only played pokemon and shrek super slam on my gameboy lol. That being said 2015 was the best year this gen for me at least.

'06 was great for watching the industry unfold, but no better or worse than other times for games.

Oh yeah, on PC Steam started selling games that were not first party games. It was the beginning of the PC revival. The only company that could have done it excluding Blizzard.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network

I agree with you OP. I had just started high school and I remember how crazy Christmas-time was when all the new consoles were launching. I remember even my dad was playing my 360 and knew about the games that were coming out (who never cared for games).

But like others have said, I think 16-17 is going to be another golden era of gaming. There has been hit after hit for awhile now. I mean if Mass Effect: Andromeda would've come out in 11-13 it'd have a good run for GotY.

Oh yeah, those were pretty good years. Personally I miss more the monetization model of the games industry, compared to what we have now. Now it's all about DLC and microtransactions that might not even be micro.

2007 probably is the best year of gaming.
SMG; COD4; Mass Effect; Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn; Crysis; The Orange Box ; Bioshock; Metroid Prime 3: Corruption; Halo 3; God of War 2; Rock Band; Forza 2; Uncharted; World in Conflict; LoZ; Phantom Hourglass; Ratchet And Clank; SMT:Persona 3; PGR 4; Skate; Zack & Wiki; Super Paper Mario. Ratchet and Clank PSP; Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. Syphon Filter:LS; Warhawk.

May of course be missing a few. I had more time back then so I could enjoy gaming a bit more,

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

roadkillers said:

This is about the time media took a hold of the video game industry. E3 was larger than life and everyone was excited for something. PS3 was coming out, Xbox360 just released, Nintendos console confused and excited everyone. Video game graphical upgrade was huge remembering tech demo comparisons. Sure there were people who complained, but the excitement was real!

The games were coming. 360 has the first new Rare IP (NOT JUST ONE, TWO!) in years. Call of Duty 2 was damn beautiful, new spooky games like Condemned. PS3 was gearing up for a November launch and that machine was a sexy looking beast baby. Not only that we also recieved the next chapter of God of War on PS2! Resistance Fall of Man looked absolutely stunning and it didn't disappoint. MotorStorm issued a new graphical peak for racing games. EVERYONE was excited for the new Zelda coming for the Wii. Resident Evil 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Call of Duty 4 where breaking all of the trailer records for most viewed video games. Not to mention the release of Call of Duty 4 changed online gaming. Manhunt 2 controversy, GTA4 exciting everyone with trailers and gameplay, Midways last couple games, and so many original IP's and sequels that are still strongholds on how we play today.

The release of BULLY, OBLIVION, DEAD RISING, FFXII, GUITAR HERO 2 (huge release!),  Just Cause, Okami, Saints Row, BIOSHOCK, HALO 3, COD4, Portal, Half Life Episodes, Orange Box, MARIO GALAXY, ASSASSINS CREED, THE WITCHER (not a fan, but people loved it), Uncharted, Mass Effect, Guiar Hero 3 (Bigger than the 2nd), StrangleHold, FIRST WORLD OF WARCRAFT EXPANSION, Skate, Warhawk, Gears of War, and so so many others.

Even this site was huge. That's when VGChartz implemented its user sign-up. It's also when every news outlet on gaming would quote the sales and people began to get upset asking where the figures came from. Then a fued of reliable and unreliable data came up. Not to mention the fun of watching these consoles sell in uncharted territory. 360 was a year ahead of the curve, everyone (for the first time ever) was pissed at Sony for the PS3, and no one had any idea on the Nintendo Revolution (renamed Wii) and took it as a joke. 

What a great time not to be just a gamer, but to watch it all unfold. 

E3 2017 could be fairly similar to E3 2006, especially when it comes to hardware.

>PS3 came out and was a beast of a console - Scorpio is coming out and is said to be a beast of a console.

>360 just released (and was less powerful, cheaper, easier for devs) - Pro just released, will be cheaper, less powerful, and easy for devs.

>Wii excited yet confused everyone - Switch excites yet confuses everyone.

>Everyone was excited for the new Zelda coming for the Wii - Everyone is excited about the new Zelda for the Switch.

>GOWPS2-GOWPS4 / R:FoM-R:FoC? / RE5-RE7 / COD4-CODWW2? / GTA4-RDR2? / Halo3-Halo6? / Mario G-Mario O / AC-AC:E? / UC-UC:LL / ME-ME:A.

>Consoles are once again selling in uncharted territory.

>360 was ahead of the curve - Pro is ahead of the curve.

>Everyone was pissed at PS and PS3 - Everyone is pissed at XB and XB1 (and potentially Scorpio depending on hardware and price).

>Revolution (Wii) was unknown and was taken as a joke (due to "gimmick") - NX (Switch) was an unknown and is taken as a joke (due to "gimmick").

And some people don't believe that history repeats itself...   E3 2017 is going to be VERY interesting.

Conina said:
Every year is a great year to be a gamer. And every new year we have a bigger selection of great games to play. The older games don't vanish.

While the games don't vanish, the atmosphere surrounding them doesn't remain the same.

Arcades don't feel like they used to.