By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon VS Splatoon 2 - Graphics Evolution

MegamiTensei said:
FloatingWaffles said:
This might be a bit off topic but is there a reason Nintendo never adds any AA to their games? They always look great in motion but in screenshots the jaggies are horrible and everywhere.

I've never asked or looked it up... but AA is what smooths out the jaggies, right?

Yeah. Anti-Aliasing is to make edges and stuff look smoother. It's not noticeable in motion for Nintendo games but as soon as you look at some screenshots there are jaggies everywhere. 

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:
MegamiTensei said:

I've never asked or looked it up... but AA is what smooths out the jaggies, right?

Yeah. Anti-Aliasing is to make edges and stuff look smoother. It's not noticeable in motion for Nintendo games but as soon as you look at some screenshots there are jaggies everywhere. 

Ah, ok. 3DS/Vita are bad about it too (Persona 4G was good about it though)

It almost looks the same. Apart from afew added effects

Mummelmann said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Peronally, I'm not that concerned about graphics. A device the size of Switch doing games and visuals like this is awesome for the price.

BUT, given the narative Switch is a more powerful device than Wii U its disappointing to see little improvment from the last game. Still early though, we'll have to see the final product.

Not to mention that it's a first generation game on new hardware. The first PS4 and Xbox One games did not look very good compared to the ones coming out today and look at the difference between FFX and FFXII on the PS2 for instance. I remember playing Xbox 360 for the first time, it was Perfect Dark Zero, I kept on asking the owner if he was sure this wasn't an original Xbox game playing on BC on his 360, it looked really, really bad for such an advanced console.

I don't feel we've really seen the graphical leap on 8th gen like past gens. There were some really good games early in the life of 8th gen console, although we've seen more polished games recently.

But early 7th gen content and later 7th gen content feel almost a generation apart. I don't think we're seeing that on 8th gen, its mostly polish.

So I think Switch content could get more polished, but I wouldn't expect huge gains. Nintendo did amazing things with Wii U hardware and Switch isn't too far from that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Nintation360 said:

I'm dissapointed... Like yeah Splatoon 2 will be fun af but it'll make me feel like I'm playing the original. It's still the outated 720p resolution which makes it worse.

My favorite games are 8/16-bit games that I play on a CRT... I think I'll survive 720P HD just fine.