By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon VS Splatoon 2 - Graphics Evolution

Mr Puggsly said:
Mummelmann said:
It looks exactly the same. But the problem a lot of people will run into in stating this is that the same is true for a whole lot of online multiplayer shooters today... I still have problems telling various Call of Duty games apart, both in single player and multiplayer.

I don't think the average Splatoon fan is overly concerned with graphics quality either, so it won't be a lost selling point at any rate.

You're missing the point. People are disappointed Splatoon 2 looks virtually the same (graphics and resolution) because the Switch is more powerful than Wii U.

Several of the CoD games since Advanced Warfare basically look the same, but there was a huge presentation boost over last gen. While Splatoon 2 is seeing little improvments on new hardware.

Frankly, this looks like a Wii U game and people want more than that on the new hardware. Zelda atleast gave a higher resolution and people seem content with that.

Then again, for people who spent more than a decade repeating that graphics don't matter, it would seem a little strange to pick now to start caring. I don't think it's a huge issue as long as there are innovations and changes to the gameplay.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
"Graphics Evolution"

Evolution is the wrong word... it basically looks the same, such a small improvement.

720p -> 504p

Deevolution

Comparing final game with beta build definitely isn't good comparison.

GProgrammer said:
JRPGfan said:
"Graphics Evolution"

Evolution is the wrong word... it basically looks the same, such a small improvement.

720p -> 504p

Deevolution

That hasn' been confirmed anywhere though, and even if that was truth, in portable mode looks better than on TV or the Wiiu version anyways, hardly a deevolution.

kinda looks exact same. maybe 10% better?

its probably the same gaming engine to save money and just new maps and a new coat of paint*skins to the models* to make it look better.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:

Actually I don't know if you remember the games that were releasing for the PS4/Xbox1 when they launched that were on the previous gen as well, but they were very difficult to notice much improvement. That went on for quite some time.

You can't compare Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 this way because Splatoon 1 is a Wii U exclusive and Splatoon 2 is a Switch exclusive. Thus Splatoon 2 is made with Switch hardware in mind and should be looking better (at a higher resolution) than Splatoon 1. Even as a next gen console, Switch doesn't do that. 

The comparison you are making now is like The last of Us vs. The Last of Us Remastered. TLOU was made with PS3 hardware in mind and doesn't utilize the PS4 hardware. You should compare Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2 like Uncharted 3 vs. Uncharted 4 (a big difference). 

Mummelmann said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're missing the point. People are disappointed Splatoon 2 looks virtually the same (graphics and resolution) because the Switch is more powerful than Wii U.

Several of the CoD games since Advanced Warfare basically look the same, but there was a huge presentation boost over last gen. While Splatoon 2 is seeing little improvments on new hardware.

Frankly, this looks like a Wii U game and people want more than that on the new hardware. Zelda atleast gave a higher resolution and people seem content with that.

Then again, for people who spent more than a decade repeating that graphics don't matter, it would seem a little strange to pick now to start caring. I don't think it's a huge issue as long as there are innovations and changes to the gameplay.

Peronally, I'm not that concerned about graphics. A device the size of Switch doing games and visuals like this is awesome for the price.

BUT, given the narative Switch is a more powerful device than Wii U its disappointing to see little improvment from the last game. Still early though, we'll have to see the final product.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

FloatingWaffles said:
This might be a bit off topic but is there a reason Nintendo never adds any AA to their games? They always look great in motion but in screenshots the jaggies are horrible and everywhere.

I've never asked or looked it up... but AA is what smooths out the jaggies, right?

JRPGfan said:
"Graphics Evolution"

Evolution is evolution, regardless of how huge the change is

Mr Puggsly said:
Mummelmann said:

Peronally, I'm not that concerned about graphics. A device the size of Switch doing games and visuals like this is awesome for the price.

BUT, given the narative Switch is a more powerful device than Wii U its disappointing to see little improvment from the last game. Still early though, we'll have to see the final product.

Not to mention that it's a first generation game on new hardware. The first PS4 and Xbox One games did not look very good compared to the ones coming out today and look at the difference between FFX and FFXII on the PS2 for instance. I remember playing Xbox 360 for the first time, it was Perfect Dark Zero, I kept on asking the owner if he was sure this wasn't an original Xbox game playing on BC on his 360, it looked really, really bad for such an advanced console.