By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon 2 Testfire runs at 530p undocked and 720p when docked

Love how people who won't play the game anyway are complaining about the graphics of a pre-release version. It's Splatoon for god's sake, and if you are one of those people who think graphics are important? Then have fun watching games like Splatoon take off on Switch and people playing them like crazy. Reminds me of the Wii generation when people complained about every single game released and couldn't get their head around the fact that customers loved the console and its games.

Around the Network
areason said:
If Zelda runs at 900 p and it's an open world game, why does a mutliplayer game run at a lower res?

What a joke

Because Zelda runs at 30 fps and lower and doesn't involve ink pixels flying everywhere.

KLAMarine said:
areason said:
If Zelda runs at 900 p and it's an open world game, why does a mutliplayer game run at a lower res?

What a joke

Because Zelda runs at 30 fps and lower and doesn't involve ink pixels flying everywhere.

But it involves the most advanced physics and wind simulation ever done by Nintendo and probably the best in any open world game.

Barkley said:
KLXVER said:

Well of course its your decision to not buy a console if you feel its too underpowered, but we are now at the third gen in a row that Nintendos console is underpowered. Maybe let go at some point?

That'd be easier if Nintendo didn't make great games.

Sure, but their consoles just wont be what you want anymore. They cant compete with Sony and MS. They need to make money on each console sold. Making a 600 dollar console would just hurt them.

Radek said:
Johnw1104 said:

One reason I'm certainly waiting for confirmation of this is because the existing hardware is already more than sufficient to output better resolution than that. That it would be that low docked is positively perplexing, so I'm fairly skeptical until they come out and admit as much.

That said, I didn't even notice when watching the gameplay earlier, nor did those playing. Perhaps it's the cartoony look or the bright colors, but it really doesn't look like it lacks in the resolution department to the point that none of my usuals on youtube made any mention of it.

It would easily output 1080p in docked and 720p in portable but it's 60 fps title, I'm sure 60 fps is pushing Tegra a lot.

Even then the nature of this game should not be particularly challenging for the hardware given its limited map size and art style. From all reports I've seen and read people seem to be implying that it looks brighter and sharper than it did on the Wii U, and comparative screenshots appear to back that up (the environments are clearly more detailed)... so I certainly will need to wait for some actual confirmation of this as opposed to the educated supposition of one or two people. So far, the only solid evidence I've found is from Digital Foundry a couple months ago:

They looked into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 fairly early in development, and according to them Nintendo has apparently fixed the frame stuttering of Mario Kart 8 and bumped it up to 1080p, but while it appears there's been visual improvements with Splatoon 2 it's still set to 720p. They suggest it can look underwhelming on TV, then, but that it's "pretty striking to see graphics like this on a portable console" which was managing 60fps at 720p when undocked. According to them it's fairly impressive given it was still in development but kinda makes me question why they wouldn't opt for more resolution when docked as there's clearly some wiggle room there for it (though things may have since changed).

While I do really like Digital Foundry and trust their impressions, it was long enough ago that I'm not sure the info is entirely reliable. I'm kind of impressed to hear it was running 720p at a consistent 60fps as a handheld, but it then seems odd that they wouldn't be more ambitious with it while docked (especially considering that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and BotW have already shown it should not be particularly difficult). Regardless of how it compares to the PS4 or Xbox1, the hardware is a definite step up from the Wii U and has little excuse for not hitting at least 900p, so I'm just gonna wait and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r2-nVHZ_bQ

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
KLAMarine said:

It involves the most advanced physics and wind simulation ever done by Nintendo and probably the best in any open world game.

That too... I'll take your word for it.

the whole

'the only people who are complaining are those with no interest in the game and Nintendo anyway'

argument is back in full force I see. Hate to tell you but you can still be a Nintendo fan while criticising them

celador said:
the whole

'the only people who are complaining are those with no interest in the game and Nintendo anyway'

argument is back in full force I see. Hate to tell you but you can still be a Nintendo fan while criticising them

You can't, however, judge something before you try it, is a bit suspicious how those that haven't played the game are making a drama about this while the ones that played the beta all said they noticed no difference in resolution between modes. in fact this hasn't even been confirmed, and even if its true, how is this a huge deal if nobody releazed about it while playing and the reception of the beta has been pretty positive?

Barkley said:
zorg1000 said:

it doesnt matter how you use it, that doesnt change the fact that its powerful for what it is.

if someone primarily plays their iPad games on the TV through AirPlay or Vita games on the TV through PS TV, that doesnt all of a sudden make those devices weak.

It's weak as a home console, which is what I'd use it for, so it matters to me.

So it does matter depending what you want out of the device. It's Nintendo's only current device that can be used as a home console, and it is underpowered for that purpose.

again it doesnt matter how you use it, it doesnt change what the device is.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wow, didn't look bad at all playing it though.