By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch is powered by stock Tegra X1

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

Couple of interesting things about this then ...

1.) It means Nintendo could technically if they wanted to release a Switch redesign as soon as even this year. Not saying they will do that, but we know the Tegra X2 (Parker) chip is readying shipment in like a month ... that chip can operate at the same level of a Tegra X1 at 1/2 the power consumption, which means a more compact Switch with say the right/left bezel borders cut off and a possibly bump in battery life would be doable basically right now. Of course they won't release a new model just yet, but it does like mean Switch revision is very likely I think next summer IMO. DS/3DS got their first revisions around the 18 month mark, I think Switch will be similar. 

2.) A full-on Switch 2 could be made without much fuss either in a few years time. A Tegra X3 (Volta based?) would probably give you 1.2-1.5 TFLOP docked, and 2.5x less that undocked would be a nice sized upgrade and Nvidia is likely already developing this chip as they have been finished with the Tegra X2 design for a couple of months now. 

It is still kinda mind blowing though that after all the fuss about NX it basically just turned out to be a Shield tablet with removable controllers as the big "surprise" though, lol. 

I  see a parallel between DS phat to DS lite/ DSi/XL for the Switch's future.  After  these gen 1 switches get phased out, I'd say in 1.5 yrs max, we'll see at least 2 more new Siwtch models that take advantage of the X2 performance.  Not sure about the order, but definitely a $249 Switch LITE  w/non removable controls & ac adapter (dock w/hdmi & controller sold separately) featuring a 5 in. 720p  screen. This model gets improved battery life obviously.  But also a 7.5 inch XL model (that remains aligned & compatible w/the joycons by simply removing the bezel from new screen), would improve tabletop mode & feature a 1080p screen = runs at full clock speed in any mode.  

As far as next gen Switch that should be 7nm in 2021, with a 1440p screen that upclocks in dock to  ninty 4k.

Well, 250$ maybe the price of switch by the end of year with all the acessories(dock, joycin, grip, cables), and maybe even less by the revision comes out. Id say the switch 2 like you describe could be sold by 150 if nintendo want, in a year and half.

I had a slighly different idea about new switch revision, that would be also the 3DS sucessor: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=225569&page=1

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
se7en7thre3 said:

I  see a parallel between DS phat to DS lite/ DSi/XL for the Switch's future.  After  these gen 1 switches get phased out, I'd say in 1.5 yrs max, we'll see at least 2 more new Siwtch models that take advantage of the X2 performance.  Not sure about the order, but definitely a $249 Switch LITE  w/non removable controls & ac adapter (dock w/hdmi & controller sold separately) featuring a 5 in. 720p  screen. This model gets improved battery life obviously.  But also a 7.5 inch XL model (that remains aligned & compatible w/the joycons by simply removing the bezel from new screen), would improve tabletop mode & feature a 1080p screen = runs at full clock speed in any mode.  

As far as next gen Switch that should be 7nm in 2021, with a 1440p screen that upclocks in dock to  ninty 4k.

I'm thinking more like 

Tegra X1 20nm (2015) - 394 GFLOP docked (500 GF theoretical)

Tegra X2 14nm (2017) - 788 GFLOP docked (?) (1 TFLOP theoretical)

Tegra X3 7nm (2019) - 1.57 TF docked (2 TFLOP theoretical)

Switch 2 using Tegra X3 in fall 2020 (?)

Not sure if you mean next gen Switch release in 2020 or manufactured, but I think NS should be able to hit the 5 yr minimum (i realize 4 yr span gba to ds).  On top of that, after a successful launch with great demand etc I think Nintendo will be comfortable releasing  in March going forward, as its a shorter calendar leading up to the holidays while avoiding the  2-3 month lull that usually follows .  would also make sense If PS5 and Xbox Goliath launch in late 2020 to avoid the wallet competition.

But regardless, 4k should be the next target for Nintendo 1st party games & that means a decently powered base  to clock up from ie quad HD/1440p screen portable .  NVidia will have the tech available I have no doubt, the Xavier volta has double the cores of the X1/X2 and its power rated around what you have listed.  http://wccftech.com/nvidia-xavier-soc-tegra-volta-gpu-announced/ that tech will be available later this yr, so I think nintendo can get a half step above that in several years without being too "cutting edge", so maybe 768 cores on 7nm tech.  Should easily eclipse 2 tf and the modern architecture would give nice performance for Nintendo styled 4k games.

caffeinade said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Switch's launch price is $299.

Or 29980 yen ...
~ 265 USD
~ 345 AUD

Nintendo is sell the Switch for 300 USD and 470 AUD.
There is plenty of room for a price drop, without reducing manufacturing costs.

I wasn't arguing that but I agree. Should be at $199 in two or three years.

If it does well, maybe they will upgrade it like New 3DS but in a less shitty way.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
caffeinade said:

Or 29980 yen ...
~ 265 USD
~ 345 AUD

Nintendo is sell the Switch for 300 USD and 470 AUD.
There is plenty of room for a price drop, without reducing manufacturing costs.

I wasn't arguing that but I agree. Should be at $199 in two or three years.

If it does well, maybe they will upgrade it like New 3DS but in a less shitty way.

I think we will see the New Switch by the end of 2018.

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

I'm thinking more like 

Tegra X1 20nm (2015) - 394 GFLOP docked (500 GF theoretical)

Tegra X2 14nm (2017) - 788 GFLOP docked (?) (1 TFLOP theoretical)

Tegra X3 7nm (2019) - 1.57 TF docked (2 TFLOP theoretical)

Switch 2 using Tegra X3 in fall 2020 (?)

Not sure if you mean next gen Switch release in 2020 or manufactured, but I think NS should be able to hit the 5 yr minimum (i realize 4 yr span gba to ds).  On top of that, after a successful launch with great demand etc I think Nintendo will be comfortable releasing  in March going forward, as its a shorter calendar leading up to the holidays while avoiding the  2-3 month lull that usually follows .  would also make sense If PS5 and Xbox Goliath launch in late 2020 to avoid the wallet competition.

But regardless, 4k should be the next target for Nintendo 1st party games & that means a decently powered base  to clock up from ie quad HD/1440p screen portable .  NVidia will have the tech available I have no doubt, the Xavier volta has double the cores of the X1/X2 and its power rated around what you have listed.  http://wccftech.com/nvidia-xavier-soc-tegra-volta-gpu-announced/ that tech will be available later this yr, so I think nintendo can get a half step above that in several years without being too "cutting edge", so maybe 768 cores on 7nm tech.  Should easily eclipse 2 tf and the modern architecture would give nice performance for Nintendo styled 4k games.

I think Nintendo should just dump the "5 year minimum". Switch can be a new product line and make it's own rules, I think it would be kinda dissapointing actually if it just slavishly adhered to the same rules of the past. 

I don't see 4K being the target for the next Nintendo system either to be honest. You're going to get PS4 like visuals, and you're going to like it (or not). 

To be honest looking at a game like Horizon and imagining what Nintendo devs could produce visually on such hardware is astounding to think about. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
JRPGfan said:

Nintendo didnt use any R&D on the chip....
and they got them dirt cheap from nvidia (that had a huge stockpile laying around they couldnt sell).

It bugs me Nintendo decided to go for 299$ price point.
However if their still selling them faster than they can make them, its all good for them.

Guys dont be suckers though, if you wait like 6months time Im pretty sure you ll see them do a 50-100$ price cut.

People say that all the time but, to me, waiting 6 months to a year just to save what amounts to a movie with popcorn isn't worth it 

More like 5 movies with 5 popcorns, if it's just $50. Now that's already a lot of cinema, easily half a year worth. I think it's worth the wait. Mainly, since I want better battery life and slightly improved performance from the X2, but a reduced price would be a sweet cherry on top as well. Don't forget that while $50 in the price of the Switch is the same amount everywhere, the purchasing power of that $50 can be much higher outside of USA, which makes this drop much more impactful. Let alone $100, which is A LOT of money in many places.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

bonzobanana said:
Unless early Switch's are using the standard chip but later stock will have a customised chip. Maybe all launch Switch's are actually dev kit Switchs with a retail firmware and later Switch's will be different. So many problems with the early Switch's, it's practically beta hardware. I also think there is the possibility (remote possibility) that final retail Switch's will only be 2GB not 4GB and currently only 2GB is being accessed. For early adopters they may benefit later with being able to run dev kit software with a hack. Ok none of this is likely but it is possible.

What are you talking about? This console is likely the fastest console on the market (in terms of UI) since the cartridge days of the 90´s. I know it´s only anecdotal but I haven´t had a single issue with it´s performance so far, which is also the case for a friend of mine who bought it. Getting from sleep mode to playing Zelda is only a few seconds.

I suspect what actually happened is Nintendo was kinda wishy washy with the development of the Switch and maybe experimenting with different approaches until later in the game than we would suspect.

I think Nvidia, having narrowly missed out on the 3DS, made them a sweet offer with the 20nm Tegra X1 that Nintendo bit on and the system maybe only really gained focus in the last 18 months or so.

I honestly have no complaints about it since this is about the best mobile chip you can have on the market ATM, and the Switch has more RAM than all the counter parts. What I'm surprised about however, is that the A53 cores are still in there instead of something else, that, is fucking weird. Which makes me wonder if Nvidia simply refused to change the design or if they changed the way the cache is accessed between the cores somewhere in there, but we'll never know until somebody puts Android or Linux on there then we'll find out for sure(I think it's just a stock X1 at this point for sure though.)

dahuman said:
I honestly have no complaints about it since this is about the best mobile chip you can have on the market ATM, and the Switch has more RAM than all the counter parts.

It's actually not.

dahuman said:

What I'm surprised about however, is that the A53 cores are still in there instead of something else, that, is fucking weird. Which makes me wonder if Nvidia simply refused to change the design or if they changed the way the cache is accessed between the cores somewhere in there, but we'll never know until somebody puts Android or Linux on there then we'll find out for sure(I think it's just a stock X1 at this point for sure though.)

I would have rather Nintendo opted for four of the lowest powered CPU cores that they could get, and only had those. (Like 4x A53).
Then spent more transistors/TDP on the GPU.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--