By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch is powered by stock Tegra X1

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

well consider yourself lucky then lol at my local cinema its $10.50 for a standard ticket, $6.00 for a small popcorn & $4.50 for a small drink.

$13 where I am. But you are looking at a good $22 for a regular popcorn and drink.

So converted into USD that would be $16.25 for the ticket and $27.50 for the popcorn and drink.

and they wonder why movie theater attendance keeps declining...........

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
To be honest overall this is good news. If Nintendo had used some wonky highly propietary version of the chip, it would've made future die shrinks a huge pain in the ass.

I think we'll get the Tegra X2 in future Switch revisions if only for power savings, and then the Tegra Volta chip will basically be the Switch 2. That should allow comfortably for PS4-tier visuals on the go.

Surely such improved designs could make the later Switch's not compatible with all Switch software. Have we given up all hope that Switch games will try to maximise  performance of the hardware. I thought with all the talk of Nvidia's new software and development tools we may get something close to low level access but if you are correct there will always be middleware in between translating instructions for the actual hardware. This will also be a minefield for testing game compatibility. 

I suspect we may get 3 to 4 years of the current performance level before we get a big jump in a revised Switch design like the 'new 3DS'. Yes there may be minor improvements but it may be only Pascal is capable of running Switch software, the next chip revision will lose that compatibility. Saying that I'm not sure Switch could survive commercially for 3 to 4 years at its current performance level but wii managed to survive with very low performance for many years so I guess its possible.

vivster said:
JRPGfan said:

Without a doubt.

Would be better looking than Cemu @4k, if Nintendo did a game for the PS4pro:

Wii U vs PC emulation:

In before "the blurred image gives the game a unique look that makes it look way better than 4k".

Sorry, I play and enjoy my games not stare at still images of them.  If I want to start at still art, I'll go to a museum, not play a video game.  By the same token, if I want to watch something instead of play it, I'll go to the movies.  I have yet to play Breath of the Wild and think to myself, goddman this game is blurry. 

Pemalite said:
dahuman said:

Huh? They don't even have a consumer variation of the X2 yet o_O; Though it would have been nice for them to use it for the Switch Here is hoping for a Switch+ soon lol. It would be nice to have a Xavier type once the cost gets lower but I doubt it since it's Nintendo and they will just go with X2 or something.

The X2 has been available for OEMs since last year.

Tegra Volta has been demonstrated in Cars as recently as January, so final Silicon isn't far away for that either.

Yeah, I'll bet they didn't do it due to cost reasons. I was keeping expectations low and would have been very surprised if they actually went with the X2 since I was more thinking customized X1, then it turns out that it wasn't customized at all lol. I'm at least not upset since Maxwell and Pascal are not too drastically different other than power consumption and a little heat production difference. Video recording(maybe streaming) is also possible in the future since the chip wasn't modified so it can do H.264 and H.265 720p-1080p 60FPS easy with Shadowplay quality from Nvidia's side. We'll see what the future firmware update will bring to us down the line.

The Xavier is more for Audi self driving cars ATM, I'm thinking they'll have something like a X3  variant somewhere down the line though, but noway will that be in a Switch+ or something, I'd be surprised if they do that.

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

well consider yourself lucky then lol at my local cinema its $10.50 for a standard ticket, $6.00 for a small popcorn & $4.50 for a small drink.

$13 where I am. But you are looking at a good $22 for a regular popcorn and drink.

So converted into USD that would be $16.25 for the ticket and $27.50 for the popcorn and drink.

Do you live in Sydney or something? that's some crazy prices on the food.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
Pemalite said:

Nah. Regional South Australia. Capital Cities are generally cheaper as they can get more customers through their doors.

Price doesn't bother me though to be honest. I still go for all the big Marvel movies.

dahuman said:

I'm at least not upset since Maxwell and Pascal are not too drastically different other than power consumption and a little heat production difference.

A Pascal based Tegra could have provided an extra 50% more performance at roughly the same power level though.

Plus it has improved Delta Colour compression, so you can eek more out of the limiting 25.6GB/s of bandwidth.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
dahuman said:

Nah. Regional South Australia. Capital Cities are generally cheaper as they can get more customers through their doors.

Price doesn't bother me though to be honest. I still go for all the big Marvel movies.

dahuman said:

I'm at least not upset since Maxwell and Pascal are not too drastically different other than power consumption and a little heat production difference.

A Pascal based Tegra could have provided an extra 50% more performance at roughly the same power level though.

Plus it has improved Delta Colour compression, so you can eek more out of the limiting 25.6GB/s of bandwidth.

yeah the 128bit bus would have helped too to double the bandwith, wonder what the cost of the x2 chip is vs the x1, I'm not an insider on mobile chips and would really like to know lol.

With Heterogeneous multi-processing, the Switch can use the 4 LITTLE cores along side the big ones.
Migrating the OS to use these cores when in game is possible.
The potential for a Switch refresh next year makes me very exited for Nintendo's future.

caffeinade said:
With Heterogeneous multi-processing, the Switch can use the 4 LITTLE cores along side the big ones.
Migrating the OS to use these cores when in game is possible.
The potential for a Switch refresh next year makes me very exited for Nintendo's future.

No.

dahuman said:

yeah the 128bit bus would have helped too to double the bandwith, wonder what the cost of the x2 chip is vs the x1, I'm not an insider on mobile chips and would really like to know lol.

Tegra X2 has more transistors. But it's built at a smaller node. I would assume over the longer term the Tegra X2 would be cheaper to manufacture.

I too would be keen to see actual numbers though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--