By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch is powered by stock Tegra X1

Switch is probably entirely what the New Shield Portable was meant to be conceptually,  minus the game carts and removable motion controls.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Ganoncrotch said:
Stock tegra chip runs the Game of the Year, really shows that both other parties in the console race sort of have the wrong idea about what to strive for to excite gamers and the gaming industry. Outside of digital foundry there are not a whole pile of people go do a pixel count on a per frame basis in games, most would rather a game which is amazing from a gameplay point of view than an amazing amount of pixels on screen.

I'm not saying that graphical fidelity isn't a great thing to have too, just that it doesn't matter how Pro or how Scorpio the other consoles get, they still wont play Breath of the Wild.

So do you think the zelda team would have made a better looking and perfroming BotW on say the PS4 hardware?  

Honestly.. I think it could be better performing, but not better looking, Nintendo as a whole have failed at being able to produce HD assets in any form of a decent time frame, I think if you were to go over all of Zelda and try to increase the resolution of all of the textures in game to bring it from the 16gb it's at right now up to something like the witcher 3's 60gb file size then you would be talking about a game being in developement for the next decade and coming out so late that people would have shit all over it for not living up to that fact.

I think Zelda BotW is perfectly functional from a visual point of view in that it has that sort of timeless Nintendo look to it, sure 30fps is low but for a game at the pace of BotW again, it's a perfectly functional framerate. I think Switch hardware meets the requirements just perfectly.

- Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that the game couldn't look nicer, I mean... if it got touched up to look like Infamous Second Son dear lord that would be great, but I don't think Nintendo developement is at that level HD game creation just yet.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

JRPGfan said:

Nintendo didnt use any R&D on the chip....
and they got them dirt cheap from nvidia (that had a huge stockpile laying around they couldnt sell).

It bugs me Nintendo decided to go for 299$ price point.
However if their still selling them faster than they can make them, its all good for them.

Guys dont be suckers though, if you wait like 6months time Im pretty sure you ll see them do a 50-100$ price cut.

good luck with that wait, and don't hold your breath.   it isnt happening

Couple of interesting things about this then ...

1.) It means Nintendo could technically if they wanted to release a Switch redesign as soon as even this year. Not saying they will do that, but we know the Tegra X2 (Parker) chip is readying shipment in like a month ... that chip can operate at the same level of a Tegra X1 at 1/2 the power consumption, which means a more compact Switch with say the right/left bezel borders cut off and a possibly bump in battery life would be doable basically right now. Of course they won't release a new model just yet, but it does like mean Switch revision is very likely I think next summer IMO. DS/3DS got their first revisions around the 18 month mark, I think Switch will be similar. 

2.) A full-on Switch 2 could be made without much fuss either in a few years time. A Tegra X3 (Volta based?) would probably give you 1.2-1.5 TFLOP docked, and 2.5x less that undocked would be a nice sized upgrade and Nvidia is likely already developing this chip as they have been finished with the Tegra X2 design for a couple of months now. 

It is still kinda mind blowing though that after all the fuss about NX it basically just turned out to be a Shield tablet with removable controllers as the big "surprise" though, lol. 

maxleresistant said:
bonzobanana said:

Yes but it can remain identical silicon and not be customised just run at lower clocks. 

oh that's what you meant!

Sorry my first comment about being customized because they reduce the clock speed was a joke.

Many people were thinking that the Switch had some kind of special X1, the usual make believes from fans you know.

I was mocking that ^^

It can still be sort of customised I guess by which parts are disabled but that process can be done electronically externally. I.e. disabling the LITTLE CPU's and maybe other functionality that Nintendo didn't need so when a true customised cheap arrives its really just a cut down version of the X1 designed to be easier to manufacture, to have better yields. A bit like how intel may disable some features on chips reduce cache size etc or even disable certain cache. One thing is obvious though it wasn't customised for greater performance it has been customised for less performance. 4k resolution output (disabled), 8 channel sound (disabled), high speed video decoding (requiring licensing, disabled) etc.

Also a later chip could integrate some functionality that is on external chips currently on the motherboard. Not sure what they are but its possible, maybe a battery charging controller chip or wifi.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

1.) It means Nintendo could technically if they wanted to release a Switch redesign as soon as even this year. Not saying they will do that, but we know the Tegra X2 (Parker) chip is readying shipment in like a month ... that chip can operate at the same level of a Tegra X1 at 1/2 the power consumption, which means a more compact Switch with say the right/left bezel borders cut off and a possibly bump in battery life would be doable basically right now. Of course they won't release a new model just yet, but it does like mean Switch revision is very likely I think next summer IMO. DS/3DS got their first revisions around the 18 month mark, I think Switch will be similar. 

2.) A full-on Switch 2 could be made without much fuss either in a few years time. A Tegra X3 (Volta based?) would probably give you 1.2-1.5 TFLOP docked, and 2.5x less that undocked would be a nice sized upgrade and Nvidia is likely already developing this chip as they have been finished with the Tegra X2 design for a couple of months now. 

It is still kinda mind blowing though that after all the fuss about NX it basically just turned out to be a Shield tablet with removable controllers as the big "surprise" though, lol. 

I  see a parallel between DS phat to DS lite/ DSi/XL for the Switch's future.  After  these gen 1 switches get phased out, I'd say in 1.5 yrs max, we'll see at least 2 more new Siwtch models that take advantage of the X2 performance.  Not sure about the order, but definitely a $249 Switch LITE  w/non removable controls & ac adapter (dock w/hdmi & controller sold separately) featuring a 5 in. 720p  screen. This model gets improved battery life obviously.  But also a 7.5 inch XL model (that remains aligned & compatible w/the joycons by simply removing the bezel from new screen), would improve tabletop mode & feature a 1080p screen = runs at full clock speed in any mode.  

As far as next gen Switch that should be 7nm in 2021, with a 1440p screen that upclocks in dock to  ninty 4k.

bonzobanana said:
maxleresistant said:

oh that's what you meant!

Sorry my first comment about being customized because they reduce the clock speed was a joke.

Many people were thinking that the Switch had some kind of special X1, the usual make believes from fans you know.

I was mocking that ^^

It can still be sort of customised I guess by which parts are disabled but that process can be done electronically externally. I.e. disabling the LITTLE CPU's and maybe other functionality that Nintendo didn't need so when a true customised cheap arrives its really just a cut down version of the X1 designed to be easier to manufacture, to have better yields. A bit like how intel may disable some features on chips reduce cache size etc or even disable certain cache. One thing is obvious though it wasn't customised for greater performance it has been customised for less performance. 4k resolution output (disabled), 8 channel sound (disabled), high speed video decoding (requiring licensing, disabled) etc.

Also a later chip could integrate some functionality that is on external chips currently on the motherboard. Not sure what they are but its possible, maybe a battery charging controller chip or wifi.

It's not called "customized" outside of the most bullshit of bullshit PR departments. It's called "stripped down", as it has been for the past 20 years when discussing hardware tech.

You don't give something the benefit of the doubt when the facts are right in front of you to prove the negative. It's not intellectual or more importantly, honest discussion.

SpokenTruth said:

Nintendo launched the Switch in the US at $350.

Switch's launch price is $299.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
SpokenTruth said:

Nintendo launched the Switch in the US at $350.

Switch's launch price is $299.

Or 29980 yen ...
~ 265 USD
~ 345 AUD

Nintendo is sell the Switch for 300 USD and 470 AUD.
There is plenty of room for a price drop, without reducing manufacturing costs.

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

I  see a parallel between DS phat to DS lite/ DSi/XL for the Switch's future.  After  these gen 1 switches get phased out, I'd say in 1.5 yrs max, we'll see at least 2 more new Siwtch models that take advantage of the X2 performance.  Not sure about the order, but definitely a $249 Switch LITE  w/non removable controls & ac adapter (dock w/hdmi & controller sold separately) featuring a 5 in. 720p  screen. This model gets improved battery life obviously.  But also a 7.5 inch XL model (that remains aligned & compatible w/the joycons by simply removing the bezel from new screen), would improve tabletop mode & feature a 1080p screen = runs at full clock speed in any mode.  

As far as next gen Switch that should be 7nm in 2021, with a 1440p screen that upclocks in dock to  ninty 4k.

I'm thinking more like 

Tegra X1 20nm (2015) - 394 GFLOP docked (500 GF theoretical)

Tegra X2 14nm (2017) - 788 GFLOP docked (?) (1 TFLOP theoretical)

Tegra X3 7nm (2019) - 1.57 TF docked (2 TFLOP theoretical)

Switch 2 using Tegra X3 in fall 2020 (?)